Android2cloud legit?

This is a discussion on Android2cloud legit? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; It looks like the opposite of chrometophone, but has anyone tried it. The app is in the market and you also have to download the ...

Thread: Android2cloud legit?

Question Android2cloud legit?

It looks like the opposite of chrometophone, but has anyone tried it. The app is in the market and you also have to download the extension on your chrome browser. However when I tried to download the extention, I get a warning :

" The site hkelgkihphkegiaagbcgglfidabmgkgp is requesting access to your Google Account... ". I can't think of a more untrustful website's name. Add to that the warning from Google : " This website has not registered with Google to establish a secure connection for authorization requests. We recommend that you deny access... " !

This warning makes me hesitant to try it. Anyone else try it yet? Is this legit?

Here's a link with more info: Android2cloud sends info from Android to Chrome | Android Central
    Come here little sheep; I have a nice juicy apple for you!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nexus One: Locked and Rooted
    ROM: CM7

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

cxm
    I've taken a punt on it - and I haven't seen any issues - just got the below email from the dev which talks about the security alert that google throws up..

Dear android2cloud users,

Yes, I am invading your inbox for the second time. I apologise for this profusely. I know it must be annoying to receive emails from a developer you've never met without opting in to them. Again, I debated with myself for quite some time before sending this email out, but the benefit of keeping you in the loop and informed outweighed the drawback of implicitly disrespecting your inbox's boundaries. I cannot express my regret for this enough; I have failed all of you again. And many more of you this time. Over 1600 people and counting are receiving this email.

Once again, I have failed to adequately provision the server. At the time of this writing, the server has burned through 94% of its CPU quota. That's 23 CPU hours consumed in the last 19 hours. Yes, you people are supportive and wonderful enough that the simple act of serving links is actually using more than one computer running at all times to serve you. And I can't thank any of you enough for that compliment to my code.

Normal operations will resume at midnight, PDT.

Starting tomorrow, I will bump the quota limit again, until I have burned through the donations. At the current rate, that will be within a month or so. I have no easy answers to this problem: I am not a company or an organization. I am a college student who likes to write useful computer programs. I am in no position to bleed the hundreds of dollars into servers to keep this running around the clocks for all of you. I wish I were. But 2 million requests (and counting!) a day are not cheap to support.

The only way I can think of that would make any difference in this is if some of you took it upon yourselves to set up your own hosts. This is not an ideal solution, and not one I will press on anyone. However, if you want to ensure 100% uptime for yourself, I am more than happy to help guide you through setting up your own custom server. Simply contact me on the Google Group (android2cloud | Google Groups) and ask for help. And if you wanted to share your server with others (they really don't run into quota problems in the first few hundred users) then I'm sure they'd be appreciative. Unfortunately, the Chrome extension does not make it easy to switch to a new host right now. Fixing that is a top priority for me.

While I'm on the subject of Chrome's extension and top priorities, I know that when you authenticated your account, you got a suspicious application name and Google's warning that I did not establish a secure connection with them. I realise how shady this appears, and what a leap of faith it was for all of you to click that Grant Access button. I really appreciate the trust you've shown me, and am doing my best to live up to it.

I promise all of you that, while I have some wonderful ideas (many contributed by all you!) for this app, and while it may change in the future, I will do my level best to inform you ahead of time, offer you ways to opt-out, and that I will never, ever embed advertisements or charge you for this app.

Thank you, all of you, for all your support. Thank you, bloggers and news outlets, for spreading the word of this application so far that I can't keep servers up anymore. Thank you, forum members, for your word of mouth advertising. As I said to a friend today, I have not even attempted to advertise this application at all, and it has over 1600 users. That's insane. And it's all because of all of you. You really are the best user base I could possibly ask for.

Finally, if you never want to hear from me again, I totally understand that. I hope I never have need to contact everyone like this again. History says I may. And I don't wish to ignore the fact that you have no opt-out. If you never wish to get one of these again, and realise that you may be missing out on notifications of privacy policy changes, server downtime, and radical changes to the application, please just send me a reply asking that I don't send you these. I'll manually remove you from the list before I send out each one, or find some more automated and sustainable way to ensure you don't get these emails.

My apologies, everyone. And thank you.

Sincerely,
    Paddy Foran
    android2cloud Developer

Ummm, pass. Nothing personal to the developer, but spurious security warnings, server quotas exceeded after 'having burned through the donations ' and really long unsolicited emails, no matter how much it's couched in apologies, doesn't inspire me towards trust. Not so much that I suspect him of anything nefarious personally, but how secure is his end? I'll wait until things seem more stable.

DT

Quote Originally Posted by iPhoneSlayer View Post
    It looks like the opposite of chrometophone, but has anyone tried it. The app is in the market and you also have to download the extension on your chrome browser. However when I tried to download the extention, I get a warning :

" The site hkelgkihphkegiaagbcgglfidabmgkgp is requesting access to your Google Account... ". I can't think of a more untrustful website's name. Add to that the warning from Google : " This website has not registered with Google to establish a secure connection for authorization requests. We recommend that you deny access... " !

This warning makes me hesitant to try it. Anyone else try it yet? Is this legit?

Here's a link with more info: Android2cloud sends info from Android to Chrome | Android Central
    Looks like the developer took care of the security issue. I downloaded the app and have it up and running. Works good with the chrome to phone app. Thanks for the heads up on that app.
    Vinny

PS looking for a good app to basicly connect me to just rss feeds.

I appreciate the input from the developer. He's at least trying to explain and resolve the problems. It's unfortunate that some will not understand the process as the app is developed. Some will step back and wait, some will give it a trial . . . as we do with most of the apps available.

To the developer, don't let the negative comments set you back, put them in the perspective and priority required. Stay on your project course.
    :nexusx: Serious Android Fan :nexusx:

Don't see anything in a newer phone that gives me a temptation to leave my Nexus One!

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links