Can A Portable HDD be connected directly to the nexus

This is a discussion on Can A Portable HDD be connected directly to the nexus within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Hey Guys First post so please excuse my newbie-ness. Ok so im going travelling for a year or two an i have my digital camera ...

Thread: Can A Portable HDD be connected directly to the nexus

Can A Portable HDD be connected directly to the nexus

Hey Guys
    First post so please excuse my newbie-ness.

Ok so im going travelling for a year or two an i have my digital camera which fill up space quickly, i have 32gb micro sd card in there and when it fills up i wandered if i could put the card into my nexus. plug a 500GB 2.5 portable plug and play HDD in to it and transfer the data giving me and empty card to fill up again.
    I know there may be several issues and was hoping you well educated guys could shed some light on it.
    My aim here is to be independent from internet cafes as i dont know how often ill see them.
    i can have a local shop make up the micro usb to mini usb cable.
    But
    1. Will the nexus recognise the drive
    2 Will it allow power consumption to the drive(if not, what if i got one that i could plug in)
    3 Would current applications allow me to copy 30 GB of data over to another drive and if so what speeds can we expect.

If this seems like a complete no go, then does anyone else have any better ideas. Someone did mention a data copier, but hoping avoid any extra electrical items. my phone and camera ill be defiantly taking and a portable drive if i need to for my photos and videos.

Thanks in advance

Panasonic lumix DMC-ZS3
    Nexus one unlocked froyo 2.2

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Twitter
    Nd1razor
    Quote Originally Posted by Rikstation View Post
    1. Will the nexus recognise the drive
    2 Will it allow power consumption to the drive(if not, what if i got one that i could plug in)
    3 Would current applications allow me to copy 30 GB of data over to another drive and if so what speeds can we expect.

1. Sorry, no idea, thinking about it, you cant explore your pc from your phone when you plug it in, but that might not be the case, im no expert :\

2. I will probably not power the drive itself, considering that it takes charge from a source into the mini usb rather than expel it. A non portable drive is probably your best bet.

3. I believe that any file manager can do this, organise, shift and move data on the phones memory and sd card. I havent used one myself, but iv heard that astro file manager is quite good.

Do you have a laptop?
    This could solve all your problems in one go.

A netbook is cheapest, but will probably have the smallest HD.
    A decent or good laptop is one i would recommend rather than a cheep one, and all in all very usefull devices regardless of your situation.

Camera is full > take out card, plug into the laptops port (or failing to have a port a usb>sd card extension) and just transfer it to your onboard memory.

Rather than buy only a hard drive and make the cable, this seems to be the best option, given your willing to spend a bit.

-Fury

I don't think you can because portable hard drives like WD Smartware require a password that only a Windows machine likes to work with.

I'm sorry if I didn't catch it, but what kind of hard drive are you using?

Wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to just take a 2nd card?
    :nexusx: Serious Android Fan :nexusx:

Don't see anything in a newer phone that gives me a temptation to leave my Nexus One!

As far as I know, you have to be rooted for anything even possible like that. I'm pretty sure the USB port is a device only and not a host. I know the rooting community got the USB host working but I don't know what types of device classes. I saw keyboard and web cam but don't know about mass storage...

So if it's a stock N1 then I say "no" - you can't add an external HD. I'm 99% sure about that.

get yourself a netbook, small and quite adequate storage.

Failing that, online storage solution may be the way to go if you can get access to an internet cafe. Just upload your pics to picasa,it then gives you the ability to share pics with family back home if you want and also removes the worry of losing your portable hdd, netbook etc etc.

I think DropBox could be a good solution for you. There is a android app for it which you can sign into once you've registered via the link.

Its basically a couple of GBs of storage in "the cloud", its so easy to use and you can upgrade your account for a small fee for a huge amount of space if necessary. The free version works just fine for most people though.

www.dropbox.com
    Nothing is perfect, but we must not lose faith in perfection. If we did, everything would be a whole lot worse than it is now!

Yeah Dropbox was my first thought too. It works very well.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links