Help Needed - Can't Charge

This is a discussion on Help Needed - Can't Charge within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Hi guys, New member here, desperately looking for help! I have a Nexus One and I made a mistake one day which I fear has ...

Thread: Help Needed - Can't Charge

Help Needed - Can't Charge

Hi guys,

New member here, desperately looking for help! I have a Nexus One and I made a mistake one day which I fear has damaged my phone. It went as follows;

I have a USB/Cigarette lighter adapter in my car which came with my heatable travel coffee mug. Basically, it plugs into the car cigarette lighter and you plug a cable into the USB hole of it which then plugs into my coffee mug and heats it. It's like this so that you can use your computer to heat it also...

I was an idiot one day and thought that I would try and plug my N1 USB cable into the USB part of it and have a car charger. Immediately it smelt like burning plastic and my N1 died. Anyway...

I also have an external N1 battery charger and when I charge the battery up by itself, and then put it in the N1, the phone works perfectly. However, I can't charge the phone with the normal charger through the micro USB port. It does nothing when I plug it in.

I have two main questions;

1. What have I done to my phone? Is there any way to fix it?
    2. Will a charging dock allow me to charge my phone given that it uses the 3 pin method, not the micro USB method.

Any advice would be greatly appreciate!

Cheers,
    Morgan

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Ok, so the basic problem here is that I have obviously charged my phone at a higher voltage than is necessary as my car cigarette lighter puts out 12v and the N1 takes about 5v is that right?

If so, is it likely that my phone isn't charging because I've stuffed the phone, or is it because I've fried the battery?

Help would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Super Moderator AndroidIsTheTruth's Avatar
    Sounds like you burned it out
    Androidfied.

The phone or the battery?

Super Moderator AndroidIsTheTruth's Avatar
    The usb connector. There a chance you may have damaged the processing board on the phone but it was extensive enough to kill the phone although there may be problems later.
    Androidfied.

I see what you are saying.

Today I switched the phone on, after charging the battery with an external charger, and then attempted to connect it to my PC with the USB cable. No response! So there is obviously something wrong with the USB connection as I have overloaded it with power.

Two questions for anyone that may know;

1. Can I just solder a new USB connector on? Will this fix the problem?
    2. Will my phone charge and connect to my PC using the google dock with the 3 pin connection instead of the USB?

Any help would be appreciated.

mah
    I doubt the google dock is going to help you... if you've given an overload of voltage, it's quite possible that the phone's internal charging circuit is fried. The dock is not going to have its own charging circuit (but of course, your external charger does since the phone isn't part of that picture).

If I were you, I'd send the phone to HTC for repair, and hope they consider it a warranty issue. I would not mention using an unapproved power source.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links