What Has Your Nexus Done For You Lately

This is a discussion on What Has Your Nexus Done For You Lately within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Originally Posted by AndroidIsTheTruth One word Torch I agree, I. Use this nearly on a daily basis. so say we all via tapatalk...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What Has Your Nexus Done For You Lately

Quote Originally Posted by AndroidIsTheTruth View Post
    One word Torch
    I agree, I. Use this nearly on a daily basis.

so say we all via tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by eric1589 View Post
    i had no internet or tv for two days.
    my nexus one with wifi hotspot and tethering was my own little 21 st century island.
    I was in the process of moving and as a result my internet and full size pc were down for 4 days. Thank god for tether and my netbook.

Gave me my own information oasis.

Also, signing the lease for my new place and needed the utilities new account numbers that were only on the website. My computer was offline for 3 days by this point.

No problem, get out the N1, log in to the website, and get the information I need.

Was burning through the battery at 3-4 times my normal rate though.
    ATT N1 Arrived - 5-18-2010
    Rooted - 7/4/2010

Running:
    Froyo FRF91 w/ root

Super Moderator AndroidIsTheTruth's Avatar
    Well yesterday my Nexus managed to piss me off. But not really. I was fixing the battery case while sitting at a red light. So needless to say I had the silicon case off. When the light turn green and I moved Nexy slid off my lap and on the side of the seat hitting something to scratch the bottom piece. Not severly but anything that marks a phone for me is upsetting. I never want marks on my phone. GRRRRR. Good news is I found several ebay auctions selling the botton piece. So I will get two orders. So actually Nexus made me happy again.

Yeah I know, kind of dumb.......
    Androidfied.

Quote Originally Posted by AndroidIsTheTruth View Post
    Well yesterday my Nexus managed to piss me off. But not really. I was fixing the battery case while sitting at a red light. So needless to say I had the silicon case off. When the light turn green and I moved Nexy slid off my lap and on the side of the seat hitting something to scratch the bottom piece. Not severly but anything that marks a phone for me is upsetting. I never want marks on my phone. GRRRRR. Good news is I found several ebay auctions selling the botton piece. So I will get two orders. So actually Nexus made me happy again.

Yeah I know, kind of dumb.......
    lol :rofl3:
    Cyanogen 6.1 w/ Wildmonks Kernel OC @ 1152

I'll second for the wifi tethering. We had guests staying in the family room where I have the wireless router. It needed a reboot (sometimes does if I leave my torrents downloading/seeding for too long) but I didn't want to wake them up as I was working early in the morning. I got the N1 wifi hotspot fired up, sparked my Cisco VPN client and was logged into my remote work machine 700km away as if nothing changed.

I was really impressed with the speed to. Youtube was a little jumpy but the remote desktop over VPN was just as snappy as normal. Sooooo wicked!

I was in Italy for my honeymoon from late August to mid-September.

Here are just a few of the things my Nexus did for me:

1. Since my phone is unlocked, I was able to get a Pay-as-you-go plan on Vodafone-Italy. People from home (Canada) could call me, and incoming was free. I had 500MB of data per week (aside from some probs with Vodafone I posted about elsewhere here, but that's not the phone's fault, lol), and an Italian number, which I rarely used.
    2. With my Vodafone Internet connection, I saved tons on very expensive hotel Wifi costs (some were like 24 Euro a day, and the cruise ship was 60 cents per minute!) by tethering my phone with my laptop using the hotspot feature.
    3. Was able to upload pics of all the cool places we went from the phone to Facebook, as it actually happened, so family and friends back home could see what we were up to.
    4. Used Google Maps GPS to get around places like Rome, Florence, Pisa, Venice.
    5. Even when out of cell service on the cruise ship, I used open street map to download and cache maps of the places we were going to, so got to use maps even without Internet connection.
    6. The great camera on the phone allowed me to take decent pics and video for those times when I didn't have my SLR or video camera with me.
    7. First day before I had Vodafone, we ended up lost in a suburb without any way of knowing where we were. Was able to grab an open WiFi and figure out how to get home... We had been headed out of town apparently.
    8. Google Translate came in handy for those times I needed it. One Italian hotel clerk was extremely impressed with it, and it translated his Italian perfectly. He thought it was the neatest thing since sliced bread...
    9. GPS apps to see how fast those high-speed trains were actually going (200+ Kmh), and to make sure we were going to the right place...
    10. Internet on the phone to check train times on Trenitalia.com was very helpful.
    11. Apps for each city (Rome, Florence, Venice, etc) to highlight the best stuff to see.
    12. Layers for Maps to show all the Metro stations, along with ancient sites.
    13. Places directory to find great places to eat with ratings.
    14. Leveled up like crazy on RoboDefense waiting for the wife to get ready each day

Definitely got some use out of the phone on honeymoon
    Nexus One: "Hold it any way you want to!"

Car shopping with my daughter this past weekend. Downloaded dealers website prior to heading out. As a result could find inventory and pertinent info faster than the salesperson. Saved over 2k,as online price less than sticker. Very impressed as we could instantly see photos, mileag,pull up car fax etc to find exactly what we were looking for and all on the dealers lot

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Dog View Post
    I'm sitting in a Holiday Inn next to the Heathrow airport surfing the web on a tethered hotspot and avoiding the 15 pound / day internet fee! Woo hoo!

To top it all off, I get to go home to the states tomorrow! Woo hoo!

I have to say, I have enjoyed my (almost) two weeks here.

i havent used the tethering option and have a vague idea of what it means. could someone explain this? does this mean you turn your phone into a hotspot, which uses the data plan. then you use your laptop to connect to the nexus and surf the internet?

My N1 made me feel proud. I was trolling at the TMo store and the sales person was bragging to me about the G2. Showing off all the features and couldn't stop talking about how fast it was.

I showed him my N1 and told him it was rooted running eViLs NXsense and said mine was super quick.

Wanting to see how quick both phones were put side by side and endgadet.com was loaded both at the same time. My N1 loaded the page in about 1.5-2 seconds while the G2 kept on loading for about 7-10 seconds.

He was really surprised and I was a very proud Papa! I know probably a rooted G2 will perform the same if not faster does not take away from my enjoyment of the moment.
    Rooted One Click Method 8/11/10
    Unlocked Bootloader 11/11/10
    Rom: CM7 RC1 w/ Honeybread theme

Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
    (I'll either find a way or make one)

DragonGunner

Quote Originally Posted by deel View Post
    i havent used the tethering option and have a vague idea of what it means. could someone explain this? does this mean you turn your phone into a hotspot, which uses the data plan. then you use your laptop to connect to the nexus and surf the internet?
    That's exactly it. Your computer will see a wifi access point, which is the phone. The phone uses the cell network to connect your wifi devices - very slick! I found it did use a fair bit of juice though with both the cell and wifi radios pumping away simultaneously.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links