Two questions before I get one, Napster? and a worry.

This is a discussion on Two questions before I get one, Napster? and a worry. within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; My phone is just a cheap phone that does phoning and texting only. My mp3 players screen is dieiing, and my little laptop is getting ...

Thread: Two questions before I get one, Napster? and a worry.

Two questions before I get one, Napster? and a worry.

My phone is just a cheap phone that does phoning and texting only. My mp3 players screen is dieiing, and my little laptop is getting out dated. So obviously, since all 3 will need replacing soon, I have been considering the nexus one. (I don't care for the Iphone, even the newest one, I see them as too restrictive.)

But there are two things that make me thing twice.

#1: Is it napster compatible? Of course I have googled this, but I can't find a definitive answer. It simply isn't worth the price if it isn't, because I would buy a mp3 player too, just to use napster to go.

#2: Various problems I have heard about screens cracking don't worry me, you get those with all things. But certain, more scientific takes on the screen quality, showing the screen uses 16 bit in some programs, has bad colour scales, that sort of thing. I'm generally the first person to notice these sort of things, so would like some comments on (Google Nexus One OLED Display Shoot-Out). Obviously OLCD screens are pretty new, I don't personally know the difference, so can all these issues be fixed through software? Because google have said that they will be fixing these problems (Google: Android 2.1 Downgrades Image Quality | News & Opinion | PCMag.com) in future versions of android. But are they all fixable by software update? Plus if so, will these updated be applied to the nexus one? I assume they will, google/HTC are much less stingy than apple, but I suppose it is possible for them to jump all the way to "android 2.0" and not update the nexus one.

Btw, if its relevant, im in England, hence the spelling colour.

Cheers in advanced peepz.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

mah
    The Nexus One is only available (officially) as the Google "Android Developer Phone" now. This means that to buy one from Google, you must register as an Android developer ($25, anyone with a credit card can do it) first, so consider that in your cost (unless you already have another way to get the phone, of course)

> I suppose it is possible for them to jump all the way to "android 2.0" and not update the nexus one.
    I assume you meant 3.0, not 2.0, since the N1 came out at 2.1 and is now at 2.2. Since the N1 is the Android Developer Phone, I don't believe there's a big risk that it will be left behind in the update process -- at least until Google decides a more modern platform should be the ADP.

> Is it napster compatible?
    I don't know that I can address this, since I don't know what it means to be napster compatible. What might help though, is knowing that you can attach a USB cable between your phone and computer and your prone will show up as a disc drive like any other USB drive (as long as you authorize it on the phone's display). Once there, there is no required directory structure as far as the phone is concerned... any mp3 files you place on the phone will be playable. That being said, I believe they will not be playable through the phone while your phone is attached as a drive... you'll need to turn that off (but you can stay attached to USB for power) before the phone will see the changes.

I'm starting to think the screen problems may be a red herring.

As for napster, if it is compatible, infact that is just the software side. Because I am subscribed to napster, I can take any of there tracks and put the protected WMA's on the nexus manually. Compatible just means you can do this all through napster, rather than manually, and it can keep the WMA's updated to your subscription. Because they WMA's stop working after they have not been synced with napster in "x" amount of time. So even if it isn't, I can still use the music, just it may be more bother. (especially the keeping them updated.)

Maj,

Vodaphone is, I believe still selling the N1 in it's store. Do our friend who spells colour the old way can still get one w/o signing up to be a Dec.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links