Beer spilled on my Nexus One - red led lit

This is a discussion on Beer spilled on my Nexus One - red led lit within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; At a restaurant Saturday, 32oz beer mug separated near bottom while picking it up. Crazy that it did that, but about 3/4 of the glass ...

Thread: Beer spilled on my Nexus One - red led lit

Beer spilled on my Nexus One - red led lit

At a restaurant Saturday, 32oz beer mug separated near bottom while picking it up. Crazy that it did that, but about 3/4 of the glass spilled on the table where my N1 was located. Wiped the front, took off the case, and wiped the back cover.

Phone operated normally but after about 10 minutes, the trackball started to glow red. Every once in a while it would flicker, and sometimes go out for a bit. Had never seen the red color and a quick Google search seems to indicate it is reporting moisture present. (not moisture damage?)

I took out the battery, SIM, and memory card and let all sit out with back open all night. No further red led so assume all is well? (The white moisture damage strip is still white on the phone and on the battery)

Interesting the phone has sensors that report moisture present, but not necessarily reporting damage..any idea where they're located? When I saw the red light Saturday night, I thought my phone was screwed, and had plans to contact the restaurant owners this morning to talk damages but perhaps that is not necessary now.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Where is the white moisture strip located? I don't even know there was such a thing fitted...

Quote Originally Posted by Floogle View Post
    Where is the white moisture strip located? I don't even know there was such a thing fitted...
    If you remove the battery, you will notice a white strip just under the contacts for the battery. There is also a similar strip on the battery itself.

I never noticed them before either, rather just learned about them and the red led during this exercise.

Put the phone and battery in a bowl of rice overnight. the rice wil remove all remaining moisture.

The white strip might show moisture only when the phone is completely immersed or when the battery of the phone detects moisture. In this case, I think that the beer might have seeped through the trackball and may be in the screen are of the phone.

I had the exact same thing happen to me, the bottom of the beer mug just breaking off that is. It was really weird to see it happen because the glass mug was thick and seemed to be in condition. I guess it's from the constant heating and cooling of the glass that causes it.

Anyway, I hope your N1 is good to go. You might want to try the phone and battery in rice thing as another poster mentioned. I use a trick like that to draw moisture out of bread and into cookies; it works great.

Beer is not pure water. When it dries it leaves behind sticky stuff that is probably full of ions that will act as a conductor and probably cause problems for your phone.

If this happened to my phone I would remove the battery, then take the phone apart (shooting many digital pix of the process to make reassembly easier) and drench the electronics in distilled water and probably use a soft toothbrush to do a little scrubbing. Deionized water washing is done after wave-soldering during the manufacturing process- all the components on the PCBs are designed to withstand water washing.

There may be multiple layers of glass/plastic in the display, and I would take pains not to let water get between them, especially if there's no beer in there. I would likewise cover holes in the speaker with tape.

After washing I would allow the thing to dry on a sunny window sill for a day or so, then reassemble it.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links