Why is Android WiFi still so flaky ?

This is a discussion on Why is Android WiFi still so flaky ? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Is anyone else still having a flaky experience with WiFi on their N1 ? I'm so sick of waking up my phone while it's in ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why is Android WiFi still so flaky ?

Why is Android WiFi still so flaky ?

Is anyone else still having a flaky experience with WiFi on their N1 ?

I'm so sick of waking up my phone while it's in the dock and seeing that the wifi icon is gone. I have no idea why it decides to disappear. The WiFi signal is absolutely perfect in the room the phone is docked. It's actually the same room the WiFi router lives. My laptops, Mac Mini and TiVo never lose the wifi connection at all. My phone though just can't hold onto it. Why not?

I run ebuddy on the phone with one AIM account and one MSN/WLM account. I can see on my laptop when they're online. At some point while the phone is there screen-sleeping, it will just drop the wifi connection for no apparent reason.

While at home my phone is in airplane mode with wifi enabled. I have the wifi set to "never" sleep. It makes no difference whether the screen is set to timeout or never timeout.

Having ebuddy on with two active accounts, that will be regularly polling the IM servers, there's no reason why the phone should think it can sleep the wifi connection (not that it should anyway when I told it not to do that).

I have an app called wifi buddy which claims to help not lose connection, but that doesn't help.

What else can I do ?

When I find that the connection is dropped, I go look in the settings and I see that the connection says "Disabled". One click/press on it and it reconnects with no problems, but why did it get to disabled?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Same here.

Hope there's an answer.

If it makes you feel any better (it won't) I hear the same complaints at work from coworkers with iphones. My experience is that it's a combination of a particular phone model and a particular router. I get occasional drops at home but not a single time at work. Inactivity causes some sort of dialogue to happen between the phone and router that results in a disconnect and the signal being marked as there, but not accepting connections. A kick, and it's fine.
    There's endless threads out there citing endless scenarios of working and not working results, I won't attempt to reproduce them, google is for that. I would suggest two options though, leave airplane mode off for starters, see if that makes a difference, then look for router firmware upgrades.

DT

Do you have power manager or locale installed? Do you have any other software that manages your device based on being plugged in or your location? I'd check those first.

No problems here
    [PHONE] Nexus 4

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[TABLET] Nexus 7

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

Mine WiFi connection work fine at home and at work, but tasker might be helpful in this situation.

And I know there is a couple of app in the market that solve this problem by turning WiFi on and off until you get a connection. I don't remember what they are call.

I can write you a good Tasker profile that will solve your problem, but are you tech savvy.

If not you ca Try WeFi.
    This app will not stop until you have a connection to your WiFi.

Quote Originally Posted by lionsson View Post
    If not you ca Try WeFi.
    This app will not stop until you have a connection to your WiFi.
    Reading about that app, it's not a "hold onto your connection" app. It's more of a "find a 'free' wifi connection" app. If the comments in the market are to be believed, it won't connect to password protected wifi.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links