Nexus + Google Talk = Free VOIP?

This is a discussion on Nexus + Google Talk = Free VOIP? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; So I've been playing with Google Talk a bit on my Nexus One today. It seems to work well, placing calls through google voice which ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nexus + Google Talk = Free VOIP?

Nexus + Google Talk = Free VOIP?

So I've been playing with Google Talk a bit on my Nexus One today. It seems to work well, placing calls through google voice which routes them over the internet, like Vonage or Skype.

It seemed to work well over 3G, not just over WiFi. And I've read that text messages can be routed the same way.

Soooo....why am I paying $49.99 for the unlimited calling and texting in addition to $34.99 for an unlimited android data plan?

couldn't I just remove the $49.99 calling and texting part of my plan with T-Mobile and have data only...then use google talk to route all my calls and txts over WiFi?

am I missing something here? Why isn't everyone doing this?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

jah
    I give. How do you do that on your phone? with the stock google talk app?

Google Voice is not VOIP...Yet. It is still using your Minutes.
    [PHONE] Nexus 4

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[TABLET] Nexus 7

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

Not sure if you can remove your cell calling plan or not. But, consider the fact that you are out and about where there is no Wi-Fi and you are not getting 3G. I am in So Cal and more and more, I am seeing "E" instead of "3G". Even in areas where I previously saw a solid 3G without any fluctuations. T-Mobile's service has gotten worse for me since I joined them when I got my Nexus One back in January. I am fairly happy with their cell coverage, but their data coverage is really bad.

[PHONE] Nexus 4

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[TABLET] Nexus 7

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

u cant remove ur calling plan...

alright, thanks for the info and the link. I understand now that google talk is not VOIP but that some people have used it in conjunction with Sipdroid to get VOIP working.

BUT

what about that brand new "voice calling from gmail" option that is on my desktop pc now? can that be used from an android phone to achieve VOIP?

Quote Originally Posted by jdallac View Post
    alright, thanks for the info and the link. I understand now that google talk is not VOIP but that some people have used it in conjunction with Sipdroid to get VOIP working.

BUT

what about that brand new "voice calling from gmail" option that is on my desktop pc now? can that be used from an android phone to achieve VOIP?
    I Don't think that will work. I dont see any options in Gmail that allow that.
    [PHONE] Nexus 4

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

[TABLET] Nexus 7

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

Super Moderator AndroidIsTheTruth's Avatar
    I heard, however, that Google was SUPPOSEDLY making a Voip based app to replace Skype being solitude to Verizon

Also here is an interesting article that states VOIP will be made though Gmail so perhaps it's coming to mobile? One would only believe so.

Use Gmail to make VoIP calls: Hands-on review | Webware - CNET

I'm suspecting this to actually be embedded in Google Talk, not voice, but I see it coming soon.
    Androidfied.

Super Moderator AndroidIsTheTruth's Avatar
    Slim check this out

Google

If you click to the left of Gmail on the browser a pop up window will show about the new feature.
    Androidfied.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links