New Social Group - Refuse to root

This is a discussion on New Social Group - Refuse to root within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Yeah we need to keep it friendly. Nobody needs to feel insulted or have egos thrown around. These two thread were and are for fun ...

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: New Social Group - Refuse to root

Super Moderator AndroidIsTheTruth's Avatar
    Yeah we need to keep it friendly. Nobody needs to feel insulted or have egos thrown around. These two thread were and are for fun and games so let's please keep it that way.

BTW root your phone or you'll be banned...........
    Androidfied.

Quote Originally Posted by AndroidIsTheTruth View Post
    Yeah we need to keep it friendly. Nobody needs to feel insulted or have egos thrown around. These two thread were and are for fun and games so let's please keep it that way.

"BTW root your phone or you'll be banned...........
    "

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:: rofl3:

Almost missed that part.
    Phones Owned: Nokia 6200; Nokia 6126 2ea; BB 8700g; BB 8900; MyTouch 4G; Nexus One: HTC One S; Carrier-TMobile

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

San Francisco Giants

I actually do not refuse to root but the thing is that I am afraid to root.I m afraid because if something happens to my phone what will I do then???? So I m just afraid to root:s

Twitter
    Nd1razor
    Quote Originally Posted by husnain17 View Post
    I actually do not refuse to root but the thing is that I am afraid to root.I m afraid because if something happens to my phone what will I do then???? So I m just afraid to root:s
    If you really want to, as some people have said, with the new app, theres minimal risk, and people here are willing to walk you through it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fury View Post
    If you really want to, as some people have said, with the new app, theres minimal risk, and people here are willing to walk you through it.

One plus for me was that you can do it all right on the phone also. No computer needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Goggles View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fury View Post

One plus for me was that you can do it all right on the phone also. No computer needed.
    Thats what's so cool about Rom Manager too. Takes the computer out of the equation for the most part.
    [PHONE] Nexus 4

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[TABLET] Nexus 7

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

Quote Originally Posted by AndroidIsTheTruth View Post

BTW root your phone or you'll be banned...........
    :rofl3: :rofl3:
    [PHONE] Nexus 4

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[TABLET] Nexus 7

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

I'll admit I'm tempted... but I remain on the fence for now. Perhaps the reports of problems are not as high as I seem to think but I want a system that just works.

I've been tinkering with Linux for eons and every time I try something that breaks the system, I have to spend time fixing it. That's all good fun and a great learning experience but at some point it gets boring and I just want a stable system that works. No fuss... no hassle.

*IF* CM6 is painless and "just works" then I might do it. If my camera might not work or calendar might not sync or whatever else I've read, then it's not worth it to me.

The only time something doesn't work is if someone jumps in too soon without even knowing their phone, like how to mount/unmount, navigate sd card, manage files on the sd card. Or, getting a GOOD understanding of not only the steps but the why's of them. Even with that said everyone has been helped out of the jam AFAIK. CM6 is very stable.

Sometimes the steps given may not be clear to all or have every little step in between. So, just get a good idea of it all by reading a lot.

I would root first with the one click. http://www.nexusoneforum.net/forum/n...tructions.html

Then dl Titanium Back Up from the Market and get familiar with it. Do some backups and go thru the options on all screens. Open some of the apps and see options there. When you dl TB agree to install busybox. If you are not promted to do that it is under the "problems" button at botom right of main screen. I would buy paid version. With TB open, swype phone menu button and go over all options. Under Preferences, tap on compression and select LZO.

Once youn are familiar with TB go to market and download Rom Manager, upgrade to paid also. You support the devs work and have full functionality on these programs. On Rom Manager main screen tap on Flash ClockworkMod Recovery and select your device. On main screen, swype phone menu key and select Settings then make sure Advanced Mode and Update Notifications are checked. On main sceen of RM also tap on Fix Permissions. It will take several minutes to run.

Also, just in case you may need it, probably will, on phone, menu/settings/applications/development/usb debugging and usb debugging notify.

When you get that far you are ready to install custom roms, themes, kernals etc. You can get with us on what you want to do and we can lay out exact steps for what ever you want to install. ALWAYS do the Rom Manager "Backup Current Rom" before installing anything.

I would also get LauncherPro from the Market and do a backup of it from its options. When you run it after new rom install it puts all screens and settings back to the way they were.

Long post but an idea of how to get ready.

Ken
    Phones Owned: Nokia 6200; Nokia 6126 2ea; BB 8700g; BB 8900; MyTouch 4G; Nexus One: HTC One S; Carrier-TMobile

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

San Francisco Giants

Quote Originally Posted by rugmankc View Post
    Cool,

It's all just friendly nudging anyway. Sure he was joking too.
    I was, as I pointed out. As far as urban speak generation gaps, I'm over 50,so no assumptions.

DT

P. S. Despite the non-rooting stance, I wouldn't like to be part of a movement to instill fear in it, either. I was running modded roms for over a year. It's a blast if hacking and exploring your gadgets is what you're into. The biggest problems are outdated or hardware specific instructions on the web, and a sometimes cavalier attitude by users who half read instructions and dive in blindly. A phone specific instruction set and a helpful environment, like here or an irc room (faster) will get you through it. It's pretty safe with those in tow.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links