New Social Group - Refuse to root

This is a discussion on New Social Group - Refuse to root within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Thanks Rugman. I came close last night... I tried the 1-click root! And that's all I did. I 1-click unrooted right after. I looked at ...

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: New Social Group - Refuse to root

Thanks Rugman. I came close last night... I tried the 1-click root! And that's all I did. I 1-click unrooted right after. I looked at the CM6 forums and I'm just not prepared to suffer the loss of functionality. Several people are reporting GPS problems now and I always use my GPS. Maybe when the custom ROMs become more stable...

Hopefully this helps people appreciate how complex it is to build a one-size-fits-all OS and maybe they won't jump on Google so quickly when something doesn't work as well as it should.

Quote Originally Posted by jonno2k View Post
    Thanks Rugman. I came close last night... I tried the 1-click root! And that's all I did. I 1-click unrooted right after. I looked at the CM6 forums and I'm just not prepared to suffer the loss of functionality. Several people are reporting GPS problems now and I always use my GPS. Maybe when the custom ROMs become more stable...

Hopefully this helps people appreciate how complex it is to build a one-size-fits-all OS and maybe they won't jump on Google so quickly when something doesn't work as well as it should.
    jonno2k, let me repeat that I was very, very cautious also. I don't current have a backup phone either, so I didn't have failure as an option.

Let me tell that CM6 is not the slightest bit unstable and that the GPS works just fine and dandy.

I'm considering writing my own "installing CM6 for 1-click rooters". The one thing that is definitely going to give people problems is that when using the 1-click rooter, a recovery (ClockWorkMod or Amon_RA) only works ONCE. Next boot you'll get the Android guy with the ! in a triangle.

If you get that DON'T PANIC. Just hold the power button and press volume up. This will get you back to a low level boot screen which will allow you to reboot the phone (no need to pull the battery). Then you'll boot back to whatever OS you were running before. No harm, no foul.

The recovery must be flashed right before a boot into it. That's been my experience over many boots.

So once I do my Titanium backup, I go to ROM Manager and do the following:
    1) Flash the recovery
    2) Use ROM Manager to pick my new ROM and let it down it and boot me into recovery.

This works every time.

Just remember, if you're going from stock FroYo to CM6 you have to wipe and let it create a backup (also check Gapps).

From Cm6-RC3 to CM6 final, no wipe needed.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Goggles View Post
    The one thing that is definitely going to give people problems is that when using the 1-click rooter, a recovery (ClockWorkMod or Amon_RA) only works ONCE. Next boot you'll get the Android guy with the ! in a triangle.

If you get that DON'T PANIC. Just hold the power button and press volume up. This will get you back to a low level boot screen which will allow you to reboot the phone (no need to pull the battery). Then you'll boot back to whatever OS you were running before. No harm, no foul.
    Sorry, could you explain what this means? Is rooting by unlocking the bootloader better then? Or is this "issue" a no brainer?

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Goggles View Post
    The one thing that is definitely going to give people problems is that when using the 1-click rooter, a recovery (ClockWorkMod or Amon_RA) only works ONCE. Next boot you'll get the Android guy with the ! in a triangle.

Sorry, could you explain what this means? Is rooting by unlocking the bootloader better then? Or is this "issue" a no brainer?
    Many of us don't want to unlock the bootloader because that definitely voids the warranty. I don't think that this issue is really a problem once you understand it.

The bottom line is that whenever you want to boot into the recovery, you must flash it again.

I'm guessing that the locked bootloader does something that only allows the flashed recovery to boot once per flash.

And a really dumb question... why/when would I want to boot to recovery? Is that in case I want to revert to the original ROM or a different one?

And a really dumb question... why/when would I want to boot to recovery? Is that in case I want to revert to the original ROM or a different one?
    Yes, that what you would normally use it for, though you can also create backups there. With ROM Manager, you can create backups without booting into recovery.

Mega cheers to Beer Goggles!! I followed your instructions in the 1-click guide and I am now running CM6.0!!

Thanks for giving us the confidence to take the plunge

Mega cheers to Beer Goggles!! I followed your instructions in the 1-click guide and I am now running CM6.0!!

Only 1 thing left to do...Join the Root Gang!
    [PHONE] Nexus 4

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[TABLET] Nexus 7

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

Question... I used Titanium before starting and on first boot here, the system seems to be restoring my apps automatically. I don't quite know how but it's cool. How did that all happen before I re-ran Titanium on the new system? (I went from stock Froyo to CM6)

You're quite welcome.... glad to have helped get you where you wanted to be....

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links