Attention new N1 users! Links to some good posts.

This is a discussion on Attention new N1 users! Links to some good posts. within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Noticed there's been a few new /immanent N1 users joining the forum, welcome! Firstly, a lot of people want to know what 'rooting' is on ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attention new N1 users! Links to some good posts.

Attention new N1 users! Links to some good posts.

Noticed there's been a few new /immanent N1 users joining the forum, welcome!

Firstly, a lot of people want to know what 'rooting' is on android phones:

Rooting is the process by which you regain administrative access to your phone. It opens up otherwise impossible options to your phone.

What Does Root Give Me?

1.Full control over your system

2.Ability to alter system files. You can replace many parts of the "Android Core" with this including:

Custom Rom's (like Cyanogen Mod), which have been developed to provide more functionality to the user, giving them more control over system setup (colour trackball options, custom shortcuts to anywhere on your phone, 720p recording mode for video, overclocking/underclocking cpu, change status bar colours, control what pressing trackball/other buttons does)

Themes
    Core apps from Google (maps, market, calendar, clock etc, developers give links/options to install these with their rom's known as GAPP's)
    Custom Recovery image, giving you more options.
    Bootloader
    Toolbox (linux binary that lets you execute simple linux commands like "ls") can be replaced with Busybox (slightly better option)
    Boot images

3.Run special apps that need more control over the system, like:

SuperUser (lets you approve or deny the use of root access to any program)
    Rom Manager (install custom roms, recovery images and more from this app)
    Root explorer (allows you to look into the system part of your phone and erase anything you want - like annoying bloatware that comes with phone etc)
    Task Manager For Root (Lets you kill apps that you otherwise could not kill)

4.Backup your system

the ability to enter into a custom recovery that you have installed (like clockwork mod or Amon-RA) and perform a nandroid backup, which basically backs up everything on your phone to your sd card (usually takes up 250-350mb room), in case flashing a custom ROM goes wrong or you want things the way they were.

Relocate your (browser/maps/market) cache to your /sdcard
    Relocate ALL your installed applications to your /sdcard
    Reboot your phone from apps like rom manager easily (and reboot into recovery)

What Do I Lose Having Root

1.The ability to accept OTA updates (well, you can but you would lose root, so its been made so they get denied)
    2.The sense that someone else controls your phone
    3.The need to sit in an Android chat channel asking how to get root
    4.The need for a stupid useless "File Manager" that lets you see filenames but almost nothing else.

here are links to some posts you might find useful:

This was by Rugmankc, has some good gen on rooting etc -
    http://www.nexusoneforum.net/forum/n...ight=adventure

How to root your phone without unlocking bootloader and invalidating warranty:

http://www.nexusoneforum.net/forum/n...ighlight=click

Get this while its hot! free stealthguard protection, just $2.85 shipping -

http://www.nexusoneforum.net/forum/n...tion-film.html

Must have apps -

http://www.nexusoneforum.net/forum/n...-one-apps.html

Finally, for those who take the plunge (and decide to join us on the dark side):

http://www.nexusoneforum.net/forum/n...root-gang.html

Enjoy the best phone your friends have never heard of. Superphone not smartphone!

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Twitter
    Nd1razor
    Perhaps a link to info about rooting, most people are now to android rather than the N1 itself, they dont have a clue about what rooting is, me included when i first started.

Great post otherwise, should be stickied

Good point, well made! will find clearest explanations i can and update OP. thxs

I was going to make the comment "Gee, first link you provide and it is for ROOTING? It seems like you are trying to sway the masses. :rofl3:

Quote Originally Posted by N1David View Post
    I was going to make the comment "Gee, first link you provide and it is for ROOTING? It seems like you are trying to sway the masses. :rofl3:

P.S. My signature is still not working??? How do I get that neat Refuse to Root picture to be my signature?

LOL, i'm not going to tell you how to get THAT picture up am i? go for sliceburgslim's pic, it's much better

We at the dark side like to get our younglings early!

Actually, i think it's been good to clarify what rooting is for people new to android, and what it does.

btw, updated the original post with explanations on this matter.

Twitter
    Nd1razor

P.S. My signature is still not working??? How do I get that neat Refuse to Root picture to be my signature?
    Put this inbetween the [img] tags
    Code:
    http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh210/cool_is_i/RTR-BLue-1.png

Very clear now! Should be sticked in welcomes section!

thxs for feedback fury

Quote Originally Posted by Floogle View Post

LOL, i'm not going to tell you how to get THAT picture up am i? go for sliceburgslim's pic, it's much better

Actually, i think it's been good to clarify what rooting is for people new to android, and what it does.

your reply made me laugh. Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Fury View Post

Put this inbetween the [img] tags
    Code:
    http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh210/cool_is_i/RTR-BLue-1.png

Very clear now! Should be sticked in welcomes section!
    Thanks Fury!! It worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Floogle View Post

LOL:rofl3:

Just to clarify....Thats ChainsDD's Icon. I Kanged it. prob the most microscopic kang ever
    [PHONE] Nexus 4

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[TABLET] Nexus 7

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links