Just got an N1, have questions

This is a discussion on Just got an N1, have questions within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; I am an iPhone developer and someone gave me a (slightly used) Nexus One. I think it is the developer model because it has picture ...

Thread: Just got an N1, have questions

Just got an N1, have questions

I am an iPhone developer and someone gave me a (slightly used) Nexus One. I think it is the developer model because it has picture of the Android robot on the back holding a flag with a QR code on it. I have some questions.

First, how do I get Froyo? Mine is running 2.1 and it claims to be running the latest OS. Could this be because I am only using Wi-Fi for data?

Second, how can I get inexpensive mobile service on the device in the US? Since I'm an indie/amateur developer I don't have a budget for another phone plan. I tried using my iPad SIM (using a micro SIM to SIM adapter) and the N1 can see the network but not make any data connection. I can use my iPhone SIM and it will make and receive phone calls (not sure about data) but I don't like that solution (since I can't use my iPhone). Can I get a T-Mobile or AT&T prepaid SIM for it? Where do I get one Will it support data usage?

Third, how do I know which 3G this phone supports (AT&T or T-Mobile USA)?

Thanks. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

From the flag with the QR code, you have a Google gift phone. It is one of the phones they gave employees during Christmas 2009.
    :nexusx:

AT&T ne:nexusx:us S on AT&T
    AT&T ne:nexusx:us one on Taiwan Mobile [Missing in Taipei]
    Archos 70 with UrukDroid

Your phone is also a T-Mobile 3G phone. So if you get an AT&T SIM, it will only work at Edge data speeds.

How to tell if you have the AT&T Nexus One or the T-Mobile Nexus One

The cheapest T-Mobile appears to be the $39.99 month to month data only plan. Even More Plus Smartphone Unlimited Web & E-mail. When I setup my T-mobile account, they charged me ~$35 setup fee.

AT&T ne:nexusx:us S on AT&T
    AT&T ne:nexusx:us one on Taiwan Mobile [Missing in Taipei]
    Archos 70 with UrukDroid

Super Moderator AndroidIsTheTruth's Avatar
    I'm gonna move your thread to this forum for better exposure.
    Androidfied.

Quote Originally Posted by waffffffle View Post
    First, how do I get Froyo? Mine is running 2.1 and it claims to be running the latest OS. Could this be because I am only using Wi-Fi for data?
    Try downloading this file to the root of your SD card(dont extract), rename it update and boot into recovery on your phone (power down, then press volume up and power button at same time). From there you can flash the update.zip file and get some froyo action.

http://android.clients.google.com/pa...6.cc653ee4.zip

Floogle's method might be a little complicated for you try this.
    To update to FroYo try dialing *#*#CHECKING#*#* , you don't have to be on WiFi to update OTA but it will make it a lot easier if you are.

Quote Originally Posted by lionsson View Post
    Floogle's method might be a little complicated for you try this.
    To update to FroYo try dialing *#*#CHECKING#*#* , you don't have to be on WiFi to update OTA but it will make it a lot easier if you are.
    It's actually *#*#CHECKIN#*#*

Not checking. Basically pings google servers and and sends it your data what your on and than if it doesn't match their side will start updating on the spot.

OK, I tried the checkin thing. It gives me a notification at the top of the screen "checkin result success" but it doesn't do anything else. It still says that I'm current at 2.1.

I don't have an SD card. Do I need one to update the device?

If checkin worked then you should have the Froyo OTA soon. If not then go to settings>about phone>system updates

Nope, still nothing.

Could the problem be that I have no active SIM card and no SD card?

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links