Is Apps2SD really the future?

This is a discussion on Is Apps2SD really the future? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Well, it seems to me, and I think it has to do something to do with the design of Android, but, why would they separate ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Apps2SD really the future?

Well, it seems to me, and I think it has to do something to do with the design of Android, but, why would they separate it out as 8GB and 512MB if they were all the same memory.

But I'd appreciate it if somebody who knows would pipe in here.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingsCool View Post
    Well, it seems to me, and I think it has to do something to do with the design of Android, but, why would they separate it out as 8GB and 512MB if they were all the same memory.

But I'd appreciate it if somebody who knows would pipe in here.
    It's just the way they designed the phone. There are two separate chips. One is 512MB and one is 8GB.

Computer chips are always based on powers of 2.

There is also 512MB of RAM.

This information is not hard to find.

http://www.htc.com/us/products/droid...t=0#tech-specs

Oh, ok. So our applications are all loaded in RAM? (Assuming Apps2SD is disabled)

What phones have 1 MB of RAM or more?
    Will Android make all that RAM available for use?

Oh, ok. So our applications are all loaded in RAM? (Assuming Apps2SD is disabled)

What phones have 1 MB of RAM or more?
    Will Android make all that RAM available for use?
    I still don't think that you understand.

Applications are INSTALLED to FLASH (semi-permanent memory).
    Applications RUN in RAM (volatile memory).

When you use Apps2SD, you move an app from internal FLASH to external FLASH (MicroSD).

So what makes the 512 MB flash different from the SD card flash in the eyes of Android? Why do I only have 20 MB left of space to install applications when I have 1 GB free on my SD Card?

Does this same distinction also exist between the different flash memories of the Incredible?

So what makes the 512 MB flash different from the SD card flash in the eyes of Android? Why do I only have 20 MB left of space to install applications when I have 1 GB free on my SD Card?

Does this same distinction also exist between the different flash memories of the Incredible?
    The main difference between the internal and external is that the external may not be there. The internal is always there.

Android (or the manufacturers version of it) allocates some fixed space for its own use (for the OS, etc.) and some for apps. All of this is internal.

I'm not an Android developer, just someone with a lot of embedded experience. If you want more detail, we should find an actual Android developer. But I'm not so sure that more details will help you.

Standard releases from Google to date allow apps to run from external FLASH. But these app must be built to allow them to run that way. Custom ROM's like CM6 allow you to run any app from SD.

Custom ROM's like CM6 allow you to run any app from SD.
    Are you saying that if I use CM6 with a 16G card, I won't be limited by the 512 ROM on my nexus one? I have installed a good many basic apps, and noticed that my 512 was slowly going away. I used apps2sd, but it only freed up a little of the ROM.

I am used to an iphone where you could load up anything you wanted.

on Sony Ericsson Symbian phone each app i installed ALWAYS ASKED Whether I wanted the (jad/jar) app to -

1) "Install on Phone Memory"
    2) "Install to Memory Card"

This is not new for (Jad/Jar) but is for (APK) imho

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchet View Post
    I am used to an iphone where you could load up anything you wanted.
    Until internal memory was filled then ??? Granted the internal memory of the iPhone is 8/16/32 GB or whatever but with SD cards on Android devices it's effectively the same thing.

I believe 512MB is what they call "ROM"(read only memory) on the spec sheet and a portion of it is set aside for application installation. RAM is random access memory just like in pc and has nothing to do with storage.

I think you got it right about the limited space for application installation.
    Vibrant has some 15GB of "ROM", but the "available internal storage" is 417MB... I texted a friend mine to find out just now. Evo has 1GB ROM and available internal storage is about 370MB on another friend of mine's. So, not all internal storage is available for installing apps. However, having the extra "ROM" space will probably help with things like storing text messages and all other stuff that you might have to delete to save space for apps with nexus one.

You can't store any of the apps completely on the SD card. However larger it may be there's always a little portion being store in the "internal storage", so you would run out of space to install apps at some point if you keep everything you get on your phone even if you install everything on the SD card.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links