Is Apps2SD really the future?

This is a discussion on Is Apps2SD really the future? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Originally Posted by FlyingsCool So what makes the 512 MB flash different from the SD card flash in the eyes of Android? Why do I ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is Apps2SD really the future?

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingsCool View Post
    So what makes the 512 MB flash different from the SD card flash in the eyes of Android? Why do I only have 20 MB left of space to install applications when I have 1 GB free on my SD Card?

Does this same distinction also exist between the different flash memories of the Incredible?
    I didn't have a chance to check, but I bet that Incredible does not have all 8GB of internal storage available for installing apps just like Vibrant I checked. I read somewhere that Android requires minimum of 150MB of volatile internal memory for installing apps, but I don't know if the maximum space for that is limited as well... by the hardware or OS... I would like to know myself if there's is any.
    The extra storage on newer phones is probably available for storing other things that don't get stored in SD. I believe text messages are one of those things. As you delete the threads of text messages you have on your phone you will see you gain on available space to install apps. My guess is that those newer phones with larger internal storage wouldn't need to "invade" the space set aside for application installation.

Quote Originally Posted by koolbon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingsCool View Post
    So what makes the 512 MB flash different from the SD card flash in the eyes of Android? Why do I only have 20 MB left of space to install applications when I have 1 GB free on my SD Card?

Does this same distinction also exist between the different flash memories of the Incredible?
    I didn't have a chance to check, but I bet that Incredible does not have all 8GB of internal storage available for installing apps just like Vibrant I checked. I read somewhere that Android requires minimum of 150MB of volatile internal memory for installing apps, but I don't know if the maximum space for that is limited as well... by the hardware or OS... I would like to know myself if there's is any.
    The extra storage on newer phones is probably available for storing other things that don't get stored in SD. I believe text messages are one of those things. As you delete the threads of text messages you have on your phone you will see you gain on available space to install apps. My guess is that those newer phones with larger internal storage wouldn't need to "invade" the space set aside for application installation.
    I would have to check which file system it uses, either fat32 or ext. Fat 32 has a limit of 32gb so my guess is that the OS has its own way of dividing out storage space.

so say we all via tapatalk

It is FAT32 and it is required to be I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by keithdiggs01 View Post
    I would have to check which file system it uses, either fat32 or ext. Fat 32 has a limit of 32gb so my guess is that the OS has its own way of dividing out storage space.

FAT32 has a 32GB limit for each partition.

Not for the sum total of the entire device.

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Goggles View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by keithdiggs01 View Post

FAT32 has a 32GB limit for each partition.

Not for the sum total of the entire device.
    Yes, I know. But since we aren't talking about a device with >32gb I figured it was not relevant...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links