WiFi calling & 4G on T-Mobile

This is a discussion on WiFi calling & 4G on T-Mobile within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; So, I get an email from T-Mobile announcing their 4G network. When I visit the website, I see another link about making calls via WiFi. ...

Thread: WiFi calling & 4G on T-Mobile

WiFi calling & 4G on T-Mobile

So, I get an email from T-Mobile announcing their 4G network. When I visit the website, I see another link about making calls via WiFi. My cell service at home and work sucks....so WiFi calling would be great. The T-Mobile support rep tells me that not only is my Nexus One not capable of functioning on the 4G network, but also not a "UMA" phone (whatever that is), so it can't make calls over WiFi either.

How can this be? I love my N1, but am frustrated that it can't perform these functions. The support rep was quick to point out that the G2 can do both. Figures....always wanting a sale.

Anyone able to help me back away from the cliff?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I can't see why wifi calling would not be possible for you. If you are in range of a wifi spot, it should work fine, using Skype or whatever other app works online.

Super Moderator AndroidIsTheTruth's Avatar
    Well, you can't expect your Nexus phone to call on 4g as it was never designed call on 4g Frequencies. 4g is fairly new. The only phones that even capable of receive 4g is the Evo and Samsung Epic. That's not fault of Nexus one as it was developed pre 4g era.

As for UMA

Android UMA Phones Coming Soon? | TmoNews - Unofficial T-Mobile Blog - News, Videos, Articles and more

This will explain why you phone is not capable as it was not designed with this technology.
    Androidfied.

Quote Originally Posted by dixy2k View Post
    I can't see why wifi calling would not be possible for you. If you are in range of a wifi spot, it should work fine, using Skype or whatever other app works online.
    Well, I have a WiFi hotspot at home and work....but I don't believe Skype is an option on this phone. I even had an app that had Skype in it....or could connect to your Skype account (can't remember app name right now)...then Skype blocked them from doing that anymore....I think it had to do with an exclusive Skype with Verizon and/or the Droid. So....I deleted that app....it would only work for others who also had the app. What's the point then?

Quote Originally Posted by AndroidIsTheTruth View Post
    Well, you can't expect your Nexus phone to call on 4g as it was never designed call on 4g Frequencies. 4g is fairly new. The only phones that even capable of receive 4g is the Evo and Samsung Epic. That's not fault of Nexus one as it was developed pre 4g era.

As for UMA

Android UMA Phones Coming Soon? | TmoNews - Unofficial T-Mobile Blog - News, Videos, Articles and more

This will explain why you phone is not capable as it was not designed with this technology.
    Actually, I disagree. Sure, I understand that the phone was pre 4G. BUT, was 4G technology known at the time? Not developed....known. There's a difference. In other words....if they knew the next step....then they could have pre-engineered for it.

I work in technology...though not this type....and if I had to buy new hardware everytime I needed to adapt....I'd be out of business. You find workarounds. I think the biggest thing here is that we're a society of "have to haves".....so they just pass it on to us as customers rather than using their innovation to adapt their pre-existing product. (Don't get me wrong....there is a threshold of logic....and sometimes it doesn't make sense). But....all in all, it could be done, and I'm sure someone will figure it out. Just not TMO or another carrier

Super Moderator AndroidIsTheTruth's Avatar
    4g is not that big of market. And the only network that even has a basic footprint is Sprint and even then that 4g is super spotty and only available in a handful of city. TMO is JUST on the breaking ground of 4G. Why have a phone that's 4g capable with no 4G network to begin with.

I certainly do not want to pay for a capabilities of an option that has no use to me. What if they did put 4G on AT&T Nexus One. What good would it do me? Just because the footprint has been laid out doesn't mean the phone should have it. I mean, why not the G2 have it? Why not the Galaxy S phone (excluding Epic). Why didn't Samsung make all their S phones 4G capable.

There's also a thing as being cost effective as well. There's not one phone that TMO has that has the capabilities of 4G. It's not TMo fault. The mfr feels no need to implement a piece of hardware that is not usable. I would have to agree. I would be annoyed to have 4G on my phone knowing I couldn't use it.

T-Mobile Expands HSPA+ Coverage to Nine New Cities, Will Double Speeds Next Year | Android Phone Fans

Unless you live where a red dot is, what use would 4g be for you?

I mean look at the iPhone 4. It has network capabilities that has no use on the AT&T network because AT&T can't support it. By the time AT&T even does, there's be new models already coming out to support it.

I'm just saying on a cost efficient level and usability, having 4G was useless at the time of the initial N1's release.
    Androidfied.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links