batteries

This is a discussion on batteries within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Why do's my batteries just last one day. Do I did an app to help my batteries out. All The Best John....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: batteries

  1. #1
    Member sturmeyworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    33

    batteries

    Why do's my batteries just last one day. Do I did an app
    to help my batteries out.
    All The Best
    John.

  2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

  3. #2
    Senior Member Kevin_808's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    115
    Well, after "heavy" use, my battery usually lasts about a day (~16 hours).

    When I say "heavy," I mean "constant" web browsing, "occasional" texting, "occasional" calls, "moderate" UI configuration, etc...

    By the end of the day, I'm usually left with 15-20%.

    If you noticed, I used a lot of quotes because you need to specify what you do on a daily basis in order for us to help you.

    Also, I'm rooted with CyanogenMod, so my battery life is different.

  4. #3
    Member sturmeyworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    33
    ok sorry for that.
    I get a lot of text messages look at twitter and facebook.

  5. #4
    Senior Member Kevin_808's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    115
    AH HA! I found your problem -- Twitter. Twitter makes everything suck. I've witnessed totally cool dudes instantly turn into crappy girls once they started Tweeting.

    Ok, I'm kidding. I found my chance to take a shot at Twitter so I did.

    Anyways, I remember when I had stock 2.2 Froyo, my phone would last about a day also. Constantly checking Facebook (and Twitter) can drain the battery because of all the constant updating.

    Basically what I've noticed is that when the phone is "on," it drains about the same amount of battery life no matter if you're rooted or not. However, once your phone is asleep (screen off), that's when the battery is either wasted or saved.

    SO...to answer your question: no, there's not really an app you can get to boost your battery life if you're not rooted. Some people might say Advanced Task Killer helps, but I don't believe them.

  6. #5
    Member sturmeyworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    33
    can i ask what is rooted.
    AS I have you here can I ask
    what good apps should I have
    and is there an app that I can have ringtone
    on text messages for tow people please.
    All The Best
    John

  7. #6
    Junior Member dm60462's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    8

    I've Got the Power

    There are power management apps but at some point, manual monitoring of what you’re using is going to help you more. (And Kevin_808 is right. Twitter makes everything suck.)

    The basics for any newbie – watch your screen brightness settings. Turn off Bluetooth when you’re not connecting to someone or something, and turn off WiFi if you’re away from a hot spot. I believe the phone has a stock “power management” widget. It’s simple to use and easy to see at a glance from a home page what you do and don’t have turned on.

    If you’re on the web, periodically press the little “pages” icon in your browser (looks like a rectangle with a couple others coming off the corners). You easily can have multiple pages running at once and not know it. Close the ones you're not using.

    Did I mention that Kevin_808 is right? Yeah. He’s right. Check your app settings (from the Applications section of the Settings app). Look at each of your refresh rates. Do you really need to have every app on your phone refresh every 10 minutes 24/7? Could you live with hitting a Refresh icon in an app when you want to refresh it, or could you have only the app you’re using at the moment refresh at a high rate?

    Lastly, use the desk dock when you’re not on the phone and the car dock in the car when you’re driving (note that the Navigation feature is an app that refreshes constantly i.e. power hog). And, it never hurts to own a second battery.

  8. #7
    Senior Member nickshertzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    350
    Quote Originally Posted by sturmeyworld View Post
    can i ask what is rooted.
    AS I have you here can I ask
    what good apps should I have
    and is there an app that I can have ringtone
    on text messages for tow people please.
    All The Best
    John
    Root is kind of like having administrator access to your phone. You can install new operating systems called ROMs (that are all tweaked in different ways). You can also install apps that allow you to overclock your CPU, backup your apps and data, and completely customize pretty much everything. It all starts with Root.

    Here is how to get started:

    http://www.nexusoneforum.net/forum/n...tructions.html

    I "hear" that the battery life in the latest CM6 nightly is great. The CM6 stable official release had / has a battery drain problem where the phone never really sleeps. I moved to a Sense ROM specifically because of battery drain (and also it has use of the FM Tuner). See this post:

    http://www.nexusoneforum.net/forum/n...chen-sink.html

  9. #8
    Member sturmeyworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    33
    Thank you all very much for all the help on this.
    How do I see my simcard on the phone I have looked in setting ?
    Thanks for the links but I think that is over my head.
    (Think I should go back to bbs)
    All The Best
    John

  10. #9
    Android Lurker maris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by sturmeyworld View Post
    Thank you all very much for all the help on this.
    How do I see my simcard on the phone I have looked in setting ?
    Thanks for the links but I think that is over my head.
    (Think I should go back to bbs)
    All The Best
    John
    Hi, SturmeyWorld!

    You might find this online user manual just the thing to get you started: http://static.googleusercontent.com/...-userguide.pdf

    Having to charge my Nexus every day was a small shock to me when I first got it, but now it's just a habit and I don't give it a second thought. After all, I certainly use this phone much more than my prior one. Also, you should find the battery improves a good bit after the first few weeks. It's such a great phone, don't you agree?

  11. #10
    Android Lurker iPeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Laval, Qc
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by dm60462 View Post
    There are power management apps but at some point, manual monitoring of what you’re using is going to help you more. (And Kevin_808 is right. Twitter makes everything suck.)

    The basics for any newbie – watch your screen brightness settings. Turn off Bluetooth when you’re not connecting to someone or something, and turn off WiFi if you’re away from a hot spot. I believe the phone has a stock “power management” widget. It’s simple to use and easy to see at a glance from a home page what you do and don’t have turned on.

    If you’re on the web, periodically press the little “pages” icon in your browser (looks like a rectangle with a couple others coming off the corners). You easily can have multiple pages running at once and not know it. Close the ones you're not using.

    Did I mention that Kevin_808 is right? Yeah. He’s right. Check your app settings (from the Applications section of the Settings app). Look at each of your refresh rates. Do you really need to have every app on your phone refresh every 10 minutes 24/7? Could you live with hitting a Refresh icon in an app when you want to refresh it, or could you have only the app you’re using at the moment refresh at a high rate?

    Lastly, use the desk dock when you’re not on the phone and the car dock in the car when you’re driving (note that the Navigation feature is an app that refreshes constantly i.e. power hog). And, it never hurts to own a second battery.
    tx for all the infos. A lot to learn as a noob. So far, I love the N1 ! Little flaws here and there, but overall i think its a better phone than the iphone.

    Thank you for taking time to help the newly users, its appreciated :D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Android Forum