Can you use the mobile hop-spot feature on the N1 at no extra charge?

This is a discussion on Can you use the mobile hop-spot feature on the N1 at no extra charge? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; I was wondering whether it was possible or not to use the mobile hot-spot/tethering features of the Nexus One without any extra charge. I know ...

Thread: Can you use the mobile hop-spot feature on the N1 at no extra charge?

Can you use the mobile hop-spot feature on the N1 at no extra charge?

I was wondering whether it was possible or not to use the mobile hot-spot/tethering features of the Nexus One without any extra charge. I know other Android phones like the Droid X require an extra monthly fee to use the feature, but since the Nexus One isn't tied to a carrier like the Droid X is, I'm assuming that the feature can be used without having to pay extra? If someone could clear that up for me, that would be great, thanks!

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

normally it SHOULD be free. Check with your service provider. The function is there to save you bandwidth, no ?

Am I right ? (Hope so...) Damn, now i'm confused. lol :D

Quote Originally Posted by robber93 View Post
    I was wondering whether it was possible or not to use the mobile hot-spot/tethering features of the Nexus One without any extra charge. I know other Android phones like the Droid X require an extra monthly fee to use the feature, but since the Nexus One isn't tied to a carrier like the Droid X is, I'm assuming that the feature can be used without having to pay extra? If someone could clear that up for me, that would be great, thanks!
    Absolutely yes. That is one of the main draws of the phone. Use Google voice for free sms and drop that part of your plan too. Add the Google voice access numbers to your calling circle and get free minutes. And your carrier can't charge you for tethering because they can't lock it down.

Of course you need to stay under your data cap. Whether that be 2GB or some unofficial 'unlimited' ceiling.

[quote=nickshertzer;75704]
    Quote Originally Posted by robber93 View Post
    Of course you need to stay under your data cap. Whether that be 2GB or some unofficial 'unlimited' ceiling.

Meaning, if i have a 1gb cap, even when using hotspots it'll count in my cap history ? I if so, whats the use then ? I have unlimited calling minutes and 125 txt/mail msgs wich is enough for me.

I'm with T-Mobile, use the hot spot occasionally with success and no restriction.
    :nexusx: Serious Android Fan :nexusx:

Don't see anything in a newer phone that gives me a temptation to leave my Nexus One!

Twitter
    Nd1razor
    hotspot uses your 3g, or wifi, so if your 3g is on a data limit, it does use your data.

Its still very useful, im in college, and our whole net is proxied, therefore very slow, programs with no proxy settings dont work online, (games msn etc), and locks everyone out at 12. then i just wip out my N1

Google voice on the n1 does not use sms, it uses your minutes. The minutes are not free. Unless there has been a change in the last week or so.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingsCool View Post
    Google voice on the n1 does not use sms, it uses your minutes. The minutes are not free. Unless there has been a change in the last week or so.
    Google Voice SMS does not use TXT messaging plan, it instead uses data. So if you have an unlimited data plan, it is free and you can drop that $15 /month txt messaging.

Correct, Google Voice calling uses minutes... But those minutes can be free if you add the GV access numbers to your "Calling Circle". You can also set up GV as a SIP service for free VOIP calling. See here:

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0Ae8...t&num=50&pli=1

Hope I saved you some money! I dropped my cellular bill by $50 /month when I switched from my iPhone to N1.

i have no minutes cap so tx for the tip

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links