Nexus One Developer Phone

This is a discussion on Nexus One Developer Phone within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Hey gang, Just stumbled across this site. New to Android. I want to get a Nexus One, although the developer site has sold out (again), ...

Thread: Nexus One Developer Phone

Nexus One Developer Phone

Hey gang,

Just stumbled across this site. New to Android. I want to get a Nexus One, although the developer site has sold out (again), I spoke to someone, and they said more are coming in.

It seems that this is the best Android phone for development.

Couple of questions:

1. Can I still use it as a personal phone? (with a SIM, of course).

2. Does the Market work correctly? I have heard talk that the developer phones don't let you use the market. (maybe this was the earlier G1).

3. I already have t-mobile in US. Will it work with Edge service for data?

4. Is there any other thoughts as to wheather this is the best phone for Android development? Seems it has a number of things going for it:
    - always get's latest firmware release.
    - unlocked!
    - works on tmobile (and hopefully Edge data). (Yes, I realize this might not be considered a positive by some people.)

Downfall:
    - it's nearly a year old, which is a long time in mobile phone lives.
    - possible speculation as to how well it will run Android 3.0.

5. Is it indeed unlocked? As in, I could use AT&T Edge data on it, just by changing the SIM? I understand that Tmobile/AT&T use compatible standards but different frequencies for 3G.

Many Thanks for your thoughts,

Paul

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

1. Yes
    2. As far as I know Yes
    3. I assume you don't get 3G? Yes, it works fine on Edge, just slower.
    4. I love mine and will hopefully have it for a long time to come. I love the form factor in my hand, and it does everything I need, I've pretty much stopped relying on my laptop except for doing real work. What's important to you for development? It's stock (no nonsense to have to deal with for non-standard stuff), it's easily rootable. Apparently, it's not 4G capable, but I don't think that is an issue, I'd wait for a round or two of upgrades and better vendor support before worrying about this. All the other phones are incremental upgrades to the N1, with nothing that will knock your sox off.
    5. Yes, that is correct.

Hey FlyingsCool, Thanks so much for your response. Seems as if all my biggest concerns are not at all. I think this is the Android phone for me. Now, as soon as they get more in.

I guess one other advantage is it does not have a manufacturers, or carriers Apps and "special ui" installed. This is probably opinion as well, but all the folks I know who have the Droid in various shapes and forms, do not like the motorola or HTC extensions.

I hope they don't replace it soon with a better model (if I buy it now), since it is nearly a year old, which is many mobile-years. Not much I can do about that, with the pace of technology.

Thanks Again, really appreciate the info.

Paul

Sorry, forgot to mention that Google has been quoted as saying the G2 is the next "Developer Phone", and I have read it will be available on T-Mobile with stock Android. So, if you don't mind waiting, you may want to consider this phone. It is HPblahblah compatible, has a "slower" processor, but better graphics processor, and seems to perform comparably to the N1.

Ok, that makes sense. In fact, I see in the news today:

T-Mobile G2 pre-orders go live for current customers, available to all on October 6 -- Engadget

"T-Mobile G2 pre-orders go live for current customers, available to all on October 6"

and it's own site: G2 with Google Phone | The New Smartphone from T-Mobile

I still appreciate that the Nexus One is unlocked. I supppose, when the G2 becomes available as the android developer phone, it will be unlocked as well, but it is only conjucture until it is made available.

I see the G2 has the slide-out keyboard, for those who like that sort of thing.

Cheers again, thanks for the info!

Paul

Well just to add a bit of sweets. If u decided to buy Nexus One, just look up a bit at the other threads here in this forum. There are so many things you can do with N1. Delicious.

LiGhT-SabRed by Tapatalk
    "You don't know the power of the dark side!"

Thanks for the sweets! Seems like Nexus One is way to go.....if they could just get them back in stock. I was ordering it, but after joining the developer program, and then going through the order process, found out the website didn't support multiple credit cards to pay (I have a gift card, but it doesn't cover it all). I called the next day, and was told, no problem, email...blah, blah, blah. Received an email that night saying, yes we can do this but, oh, by the way, we just ran out.

Ok, patience (for me)! There will be more in.

Anybody willing to point to the thread for their #1 favorite thing that can be done with N1, that makes it float above other popular android phones like Droid, Droid Incredible, Droid X, and Sumsung Galaxy.

Maybe, I'll start out (with my limited knowledge) that the #1 thing I think is that the N1 is unlocked and always gets the latest Android update.

It will run great on a new Android OS. It sports a 1Ghz SnapDragon processor and it'll definitely be more than capable of handling it.

--> Ne:nexusx:uS One ROOTED

--> ...a Gingerbread ROM

- Our handicapped puppy -

*Follow me on Twitter

EASY ROOT + CUSTOM KERNEL FLASHING INSTRUCTIONS ----> HERE

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links