I'm glad I have the Nexus, even with its small problems

This is a discussion on I'm glad I have the Nexus, even with its small problems within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Hi! I'm on holidays at the moment so i've had a little time on my hands. You might remember me starting a thread about the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm glad I have the Nexus, even with its small problems

I'm glad I have the Nexus, even with its small problems

Hi!

I'm on holidays at the moment so i've had a little time on my hands.

You might remember me starting a thread about the Iphone4's screen... As i remember, I said it looked sharp and that's about it.

So today, I compared my nexus to the Galaxy S. Before this I've always felt this phone was well and truly a vast improvement over the Nexus. You know, super AMOLED, larger screen, hummingbird CPU... the lot.

I was at a local phone company which had the Desire, iphone 4 and SGS (samsung galaxy s is a bit too long to type )

Just a recap on the Iphone4:
    • The screen was definitely sharp
    • No rough edges or "fuzziness" around icons
    • Materials used feel premium and high class.
    • I dunno, i actually think the changeable wallpapers on the iphone make it look tacky. It looked much better with a static black background.
    • nothing special about the colour saturation... no where near AMOLEDS.

So I approached the SGS hoping to be WOWED. But I was slightly disappointed in the end.

So nice things about it:
    • Its maximum brightness is certainly brighter than my nexus
    • the screen LOOKS better on first impressions
    • the touch is really smooth
    • there was less jerkiness than my Nexus
    • those capacitive buttons work really well.
    • the screen was much less reflective.

But then I took the courage out to take my Nexus out and do a side by side comparison. It is then you start seeing the major differences.

So not so good things about the SGS:
    • I sent a pic I had on my phone to the SGS. It a picture of different coloured cubes, covering most of the popular colours: Red, blue, green, yellow and the background was brown and faded to a black. So besides a bright white, I would say the pic covers the spectrum well. One my Nexus, the colours were there, each were distinctly red or blue or yellow... but on the SGS, the YELLOW cube on my screen showed up as GREEN. I'm sure its a yellow cube as I took this pic myself.

I hope this is a one off SGS problem... cause i wasn't able to see very vivid yellows on the S-AMOLED. Yellows had a blue tint on them, making them look green.
    • The phone was light (I know this is a good thing) but its plasticy... where as are our Nexuses are solid and sturdy. Next to our Nexuses and an iphone 4, this will feel much cheaper due to the materials. It reminds me of the iphone 3gs/3g.
    • (personal dislike) the UI screams Iphone. Sure this helps iphone users familiarise a foriegn OS... but seriously... I don't like it.
    • we have so many LEDs :D one for notifications and a camera LED (even though i don't use it for pics much, its good as a torch!)

I'm not dissing these phones, its just an observation I found. All 3 phones: iphone4, SGS and N1/Desire are great phones, and I'm sure anyone would be happy with any 3 they choose themselves. I'm sure you can always talk about benchmarks and stuff, but one an everyday usage basis, the differences are negligible (on these phones at least...)

So in general, I think our Nexuses are very well rounded. It has everything and everything is good quality. My only serious gripe is the old touch sensor which only takes 2 points and gets freaked out by axis switching.

I haven't had much problems with that though, besides some backward walking in games... but its not too irritating (until mario walks off the cliff ).

As a phone thats been out for well over half a year, I think the Nexus is a great phone. I honestly can't wait for a true successor to the Nexus one (whatever the next direct Google phone is called!). It had better have everything the N1 did with more and better features.

Hope I brought a little light to your day
    Galaxy Nexus? I like Nexus prime more. Even the code name "Maguro" seemed cooler.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Smile

Thanks for taking the time to write this thread. We need more good threads like this

I agree on the part about the Nexus One being an amazing phone. I can't think of a single thing that it doesn't take care of for me beautifully:
    - Great internet browser
    - Free turn by turn navigation
    - Free tethering
    - Changeable battery
    - Voice recorder
    - Camera/Camcorder
    - Ability to type word doccuments with Freedom Pro Bluetooth keyboard
    - Free text messaging with Google Voice
    - Emulators to play any video game using a Bluetooth wiimote controller
    and best of all...
    - Stock (pure) Android!
    - Updates directly from Google without the need for carriers to control what we can get.

What more do you really need in a cellphone outside of those things?
    Quote Originally Posted by iPhoneSlayer View Post
    I don't think you could put the Dell Streak in your pockets without your pants falling down. Maybe that's why they call it "Streak", cuz every time you put it in your pockets, you end up going streaking.

Quote Originally Posted by ap3604 View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to write this thread. We need more good threads like this

I agree on the part about the Nexus One being an amazing phone. I can't think of a single thing that it doesn't take care of for me beautifully:
    - Great internet browser
    - Free turn by turn navigation
    - Free tethering
    - Changeable battery
    - Voice recorder
    - Camera/Camcorder
    - Ability to type word doccuments with Freedom Pro Bluetooth keyboard
    - Free text messaging with Google Voice
    - Emulators to play any video game using a Bluetooth wiimote controller
    and best of all...
    - Stock (pure) Android!
    - Updates directly from Google without the need for carriers to control what we can get.

What more do you really need in a cellphone outside of those things?
    Your welcome!

I agree there are many things that Android and Nexus bring to a great mobile experience.

Its amazing how far mobiles have come!
    Galaxy Nexus? I like Nexus prime more. Even the code name "Maguro" seemed cooler.

My only gripes with the N1 are the buttons at the bottom have issues (I returned 2 N1s that had buttons that didn't quite work) and the trackball is needs to be replaced with a trackpad. Trackballs tend to accumulate dirt & stop working if you use them a lot. They are also difficult to press without rolling unlike a trackpad so using it as say your camera button instead of the on screen button is difficult because any twitches of your fingers tend to make it select a different button.
    Other than that, I'm amazed to say that I haven't had any gadget envy (except for the Droid X's HDMI port). Output to my TV would allow me to eliminate my ipod touch.
    Personally, I think the screen size is perfect for a phone and the newer larger screens seem just a little too big.
    I saw a lady holding one against a paperback (I think it was the Sprint EVO 4G) and it was nearly the size of the paperback book! I hadn't realized how big they were until I saw that.

Quote Originally Posted by FC1032 View Post
    As a phone thats been out for well over half a year, I think the Nexus is a great phone. I honestly can't wait for a true successor to the Nexus one (whatever the next direct Google phone is called!). It had better have everything the N1 did with more and better features.
    Good post....

I believe that the code name for "the next direct Google phone" is the AintNeverGonnaHappen.

Just so you know...

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Goggles
    I believe that the code name for "the next direct Google phone" is the AintNeverGonnaHappen.
    I wonder a year or two from now which phone they plan to use to test and develope android on. The G3? Google will always need a developer phone regardless if they sell it directly or not no?
    Quote Originally Posted by iPhoneSlayer View Post
    I don't think you could put the Dell Streak in your pockets without your pants falling down. Maybe that's why they call it "Streak", cuz every time you put it in your pockets, you end up going streaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Goggles View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FC1032 View Post
    Good post....

Just so you know...
    Unfortunately, the best N1 redux we're gonna get is gonna be the G2 (t-mobile phone with sense).

Its such a shame there isn't any news on the next Google developer phone.

I would love an accidental "leak" about the the details

Quote Originally Posted by Luq07 View Post
    My only gripes with the N1 are the buttons at the bottom have issues (I returned 2 N1s that had buttons that didn't quite work) and the trackball is needs to be replaced with a trackpad.
    Couldn't have said it better myself. I haven't had any issues with the bottom buttons not working, but one thing that I find a little obnoxious at times is that they accidentally get pressed when I'm typing in portrait mode. When I go for the lower letters, sometimes my thumb accidentally presses the "Home" button or something and exits me out of my message!

Quote Originally Posted by MrsMime View Post
    Couldn't have said it better myself. I haven't had any issues with the bottom buttons not working, but one thing that I find a little obnoxious at times is that they accidentally get pressed when I'm typing in portrait mode. When I go for the lower letters, sometimes my thumb accidentally presses the "Home" button or something and exits me out of my message!
    Oh i hate when that happens! especially when your almost at the end of the message!

Its happened far less with the latest updates though and I'm not sure if its the HTC keyboard, but that hasn't happened to me in a while.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links