Remove all apps and settings tied to my gmail?

This is a discussion on Remove all apps and settings tied to my gmail? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; How would one do this? I wanted to clean my nexus by reformatting my SD card and resetting the phone to factory settings, but it ...

Thread: Remove all apps and settings tied to my gmail?

Remove all apps and settings tied to my gmail?

How would one do this? I wanted to clean my nexus by reformatting my SD card and resetting the phone to factory settings, but it seems some settings are still tied to my email. Like when I go to the market after a clean installation, it tries to install all apps that I previously had (free and paid) which I don't want.

I want to remove all the free apps and junk I downloaded in the past, and just keep my paid apps, is this possible?

Cheers.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Quote Originally Posted by Account View Post
    How would one do this? I wanted to clean my nexus by reformatting my SD card and resetting the phone to factory settings, but it seems some settings are still tied to my email. Like when I go to the market after a clean installation, it tries to install all apps that I previously had (free and paid) which I don't want.

I want to remove all the free apps and junk I downloaded in the past, and just keep my paid apps, is this possible?

Cheers.
    Not that I'm aware of.... Google associates your apps with your account. It does not have a way to distinguish between only paid apps and others.

You'll have to uninstall the applications that you don't want yourself.

Super Moderator AndroidIsTheTruth's Avatar
    When you do a factory reset, when restarting don't log on to your google account. Bypass all syncs and go straight to Homescreen. I would recommend doing a Data Reset for the market app and clear cache. I should already be cleared from the factory reset, but it doesn't hurt to double check. From there, go into settings and log onto you google account. Then go into market and it should just show your purchased apps.

This should work, but it's not for sure.
    Androidfied.

That won't work. Your apps are tied to the very first Google Account you logged in with on your phone. I found this out the hard way. All my paid apps are tied to my Google Apps account from work (on 2.1 you needed to login with this account first to get your calendar). Even though I pay for all my apps with my personal Gmail Google Checkout account. I can see all my payments in my gmail google checkout but if I use gmail as my first login, I don't get the option to download all my apps. Its really frustrating and Google can't/won't fix this problem.

Super Moderator AndroidIsTheTruth's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Luq07 View Post
    That won't work. Your apps are tied to the very first Google Account you logged in with on your phone. I found this out the hard way. All my paid apps are tied to my Google Apps account from work (on 2.1 you needed to login with this account first to get your calendar). Even though I pay for all my apps with my personal Gmail Google Checkout account. I can see all my payments in my gmail google checkout but if I use gmail as my first login, I don't get the option to download all my apps. Its really frustrating and Google can't/won't fix this problem.
    He wants his paid apps not the free. The method I explained should work as it did for me for not installing free apps.. The paid showed up but no free apps.
    Androidfied.

If it were me wanting to do this...I would uninstall all the apps I don't want and leave my phone like that for a few hours to make sure that this change has been recorded in the Google cloud. Then I would do the factory restore. After you log in, only the apps you didn't uninstall should be the ones loaded back onto your phone.

Quote Originally Posted by N1David View Post
    If it were me wanting to do this...I would uninstall all the apps I don't want and leave my phone like that for a few hours to make sure that this change has been recorded in the Google cloud. Then I would do the factory restore. After you log in, only the apps you didn't uninstall should be the ones loaded back onto your phone.
    It depends on the setting in the phone (from page 326 of the Android user manual for 2.2):
    Privacy settings
    You use the Privacy settings to manage your personal information.

Back up my settings
    Check to back up some of your personal data to Google servers, with your Google Account. If you replace your phone, the data you’ve backed up can be restored onto the new phone the first time you sign in with your Google Account. If you check this option, a wide variety of you personal data is backed up, including your Wi-Fi passwords, Browser bookmarks, a list of the applications you’ve
    installed,
    the words you’ve added to the dictionary used by the onscreen keyboard, and most of the settings that you configure with the Settings application. Some thirdparty applications may also take advantage of this feature. If you uncheck this option, you stop backing up your data to your account, and any existing backups are deleted from Google servers.

Automatic restore

Check this option to restore your settings and other data when you install an application, if you installed and used it previously on this phone or on another phone, where you signed in with the same Google Account and were backing up your settings.

Factory data reset
    Erases all of your personal data from internal phone storage, including information about your Google Account, any other accounts, your system and application settings, and any downloaded applications. Resetting the phone does not erase any system software updates you’ve downloaded or any files on your SD card, such as music or photos. If you reset the phone in this way, the next time you turn on your phone you’re prompted to reenter the same kind of information as when you first started Android. See “Starting Android for the first time” on page 16.
    So take a close look at those settings.

I've done this a few times. Here's what you do if you want a totally clean factory reset...

Before you do the reset, go into the privacy settings page and UNcheck Automatic Restore and Backup My Settings. Confirm any dialogs. Then reboot your phone. This should clear any backup of settings, apps, configuration that were stored on Google's servers.

Now, perform a factory reset either through the privacy settings page "Factory data reset" or by going into the bootloader recovery options and doing a wipe of the user data and cache partition.

When the phone is wiped and reboots, you will set everything up from scratch and the setup will ask you if you want to automatically backup your settings like it did the VERY first time. I usually choose yes at this point since this allows my new setup to get backed up without restoring anything from before the wipe.

Good luck.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links