Talking over the Internet with a Nexus One

This is a discussion on Talking over the Internet with a Nexus One within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; On T-Mobile with a blackberry, one of the nicest features was talking and texting over the internet. It was a feature called UMA (unlicensed mobile ...

Thread: Talking over the Internet with a Nexus One

Talking over the Internet with a Nexus One

On T-Mobile with a blackberry, one of the nicest features was talking and texting over the internet. It was a feature called UMA (unlicensed mobile access) that I really loved when taking a trip to mexico. Basically, I just "unchecked" the mobile network box and then "checked" the wifi box and all my calls and txts went out over the internet. Unlimited and no roaming charges (just like a vonage router doesn't really know it is in mexico...internet is just the internet)

I talked to a tmobile service rep and they explained to me that UMA is not really needed for the "talking over the internet" UMA only gave the unlimited aspect to it. So basically any phone with wifi can route calls and texts over the internet VOIP style as long as it has wifi. (So I was told)

So I switched to a Nexus One and found that it was not nearly so simple to turn off the radio and turn on wifi. The method seemed to be changing the APN value. Two programs that did this were APNSwitch and APNDroid. Recently cyanogen has included this in a toggle button.

But I'm not really clear on if this is working the way my blackberry used to. With the blackberry, turning off the radio shut it off completely. NO CALLS and therefore no chance of roaming. With the APN method on the Nexus...it's more like it disables 3G and EDGE data...but leave you still able to take calls. This makes it far more difficult to know when you are roaming (in mexico for example) and incurring big charges or not.

Also, at first, even with APN off and WiFi on, the phone would not make ANY calls in mexico. Then I added a free tmobile "worldclass international service" feature to my account and I was able to make the calls in mexico. But sometimes I incur roaming charges, sometimes not. I try to always be on a WiFi network when calling or texting down there, but it is not nearly as clear-cut as calling on the blackberry.

Does anyone have any experience with the transition from Blackberry UMA or WiFi calling to a Nexus One? Is there an easier or better way to accomplish what I am trying to do here?

EDIT*
    http://www.electronista.com/articles....handsets.due/

I just found this article...which makes it sound like UMA will be coming to our Nexus One soon. But...now I'm really confused. The t-mobile rep told me that calls are routed over wifi even without having this feature, as long as you place the call on a wifi network...

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I had two UMA phones back when I was with Tmobile. I had a BB Curve and a MDA. The router had to be set up right for UMA to work. When I got my airport extreme it initially wasn't set up to do UMA at all. Apple eventually updated it so it would work.

Edit:
    After thinking about it I can't remember for sure if my MDS had UMA. It's been a long time. It was real handy when I had it though.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links