Geo tagging - Possible Security Threat!

This is a discussion on Geo tagging - Possible Security Threat! within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; I thought I'd share a story with you that my co-worker told me about today. It involves geo tagging on pictures. Like most of you, ...

Thread: Geo tagging - Possible Security Threat!

Geo tagging - Possible Security Threat!

I thought I'd share a story with you that my co-worker told me about today. It involves geo tagging on pictures. Like most of you, I'm aware that it exists when I take a picture, but didn't think about it being seen in the HTML coding.

Here's the story he shared with me:

He woke up yesterday to one of the local news stations at his front door. They were there with a Craigslist ad in their hand. They told him they were doing a story on Internet security. Even though his Craigslist ad does not say where he lives, they were able to figure it out by looking at the longitude, latitude coordinates embedded in the HTML on the web page.

Geo tagging should be turned on by default. If you don't want the feature activated, go to your settings to deactivate it.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

What's this 'contained in the HTML coding' bollocks?

Whatever they said, it's not true. Geotagging is stored in the pictures EXIF data, and anyone that has software that can read it (such as Windows Explorer!) can access that. It is often overwritten when a picture is edited & re-saved (decent imaging programs tend to put their own EXIF data in. Photoshop does, MS Paint leaves the original), generally it's only a danger if you put an untouched photo up on the web.

And GeoTagging is set to off as default, it has to be enabled in every case as it requires more of the Phones/Cameras/UMPC's functions to work.
    NEXUS ONE
    11.02.2010 - SuperBoot Rooted
    24.02.2010 - Amon Ra's Recovery
    24.02.2010 - 05.10.2010 Cyanogen Era
    06.10.2010 - 08.12.2010 - RoDrIgUeZsTyLe´s MIUIMOD Era
    04.05.2011 - CyanogenMod 7.0.3

NOTION INK ADAM
    04.04.2011 - Rooted & CW Recovery Installed
    04.04.2011 - BEAST 2.1.3 PQi + 3g Version
    02.05.2011 - BEAST 2.2

Super Moderator AndroidIsTheTruth's Avatar
    Somebody can come to my house if they want to. They'll be greeted by 9 cousins with 15 friend and 30 of their relatives.......

I do live in Texas........
    Androidfied.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links