Gingerbread Thread. All things related.

This is a discussion on Gingerbread Thread. All things related. within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; i'm not one of these people that want the new version the minute it comes out, but I have to admit I bit the bullet ...

Page 47 of 50 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 ... LastLast

Thread: Gingerbread Thread. All things related.

i'm not one of these people that want the new version the minute it comes out, but I have to admit I bit the bullet this time and installed CM7 and glad I did.

I already had a custom 2.2.1 and when the latest 2.2.2 came out I got fed up being asked to update. I could have hacked to turn the OTA updates off, but decided to go the other route.

The version of CM7 I'm running has not give me any problems so far

Don't expect Gingerbread on your Nexus One anytime soon. Gingerbread is DOA and now google is creating Gingerbread 2.4 to fix all the issues in 2.3.

Good job google rush 2.3 out to put the Nexus S out for the holidays and leave Nexus One owners in the dust..

Android 2.4 is Also Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich to be 3.1? - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Quote Originally Posted by SliceBurgSlim View Post
    I've read this article. At the time it all made since, but not anymore. I keep finding more and more NOT to like with android.

Gingerbread is on how many phones? They rushed it out. They've spent all of their energy trying to get it right for just ONE PHONE! What's gonna happen when they start sending it out to other phones? They can't even get it on their inaugural device and Gingerbread has been out for nearly TWO MONTHS!

The apps/functions on an iphone don't drain the battery. They do on my phone. In fact battery life on my N1 is appalling. I get a full day, but only because I either limit my usage or charge during the day.

I'm convinced this is a fragmentation problem. App companies have to make versions of their apps for keyboards and various phones on android. there's only two for ios. One for the iphone and one for the iplaid. As a result they spend too much time just trying to get something on the market. So much so, that they don't really care how efficiently it runs on the individual platform. Same goes for hardware and UI differences amonst the various phones.

The Android tablets have very few apps to run in part due to fragmentation. Sure that will change, but we're seeing a new generation of tablets that are designed for more specific uses and they pretty much suck. My gf's Nook Color is choppy and no fun to use. She'd rather read or surf on her touch. There are tablets being made specifically for televisions as interactive devices. Phones have a multitude of UI overlays. Only one that I've read about doesn't suck (Sense) according to most interweb posters.

Google can't even keep up with demand. Sure 80% of the phones are now on Froyo. That's because 80% of android devices were purchased in the last year. Most of which consist of about 4 phones. My Fender MyTouch locked up when I got the Froyo OTA. I had to send it in for a Vibrant. Sweet phone that just got the update, but it wasn't OTA. It was easy for me to install, but there are plenty of people who didn't know how or complained because they shouldn't have had to. Again. Not a problem with iOS.

I could go on, and on with examples.

Not everyone wants to spend hours trying to figure out how to keep their battery from draining too fast. Not everyone is a "phone nerd" who enjoys changing interfaces, rooting and flashing ROMs. Most people just want a seemless device that does what they ask it to do when they want it too.

Quote Originally Posted by dudewithaplan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SliceBurgSlim View Post
    I've read this article. At the time it all made since, but not anymore. I keep finding more and more NOT to like with android.

Gingerbread is on how many phones? They rushed it out. They've spent all of their energy trying to get it right for just ONE PHONE! What's gonna happen when they start sending it out to other phones? They can't even get it on their inaugural device and Gingerbread has been out for nearly TWO MONTHS!

The apps/functions on an iphone don't drain the battery. They do on my phone. In fact battery life on my N1 is appalling. I get a full day, but only because I either limit my usage or charge during the day.

I'm convinced this is a fragmentation problem. App companies have to make versions of their apps for keyboards and various phones on android. there's only two for ios. One for the iphone and one for the iplaid. As a result they spend too much time just trying to get something on the market. So much so, that they don't really care how efficiently it runs on the individual platform. Same goes for hardware and UI differences amonst the various phones.

The Android tablets have very few apps to run in part due to fragmentation. Sure that will change, but we're seeing a new generation of tablets that are designed for more specific uses and they pretty much suck. My gf's Nook Color is choppy and no fun to use. She'd rather read or surf on her touch. There are tablets being made specifically for televisions as interactive devices. Phones have a multitude of UI overlays. Only one that I've read about doesn't suck (Sense) according to most interweb posters.

Google can't even keep up with demand. Sure 80% of the phones are now on Froyo. That's because 80% of android devices were purchased in the last year. Most of which consist of about 4 phones. My Fender MyTouch locked up when I got the Froyo OTA. I had to send it in for a Vibrant. Sweet phone that just got the update, but it wasn't OTA. It was easy for me to install, but there are plenty of people who didn't know how or complained because they shouldn't have had to. Again. Not a problem with iOS.

I could go on, and on with examples.

Not everyone wants to spend hours trying to figure out how to keep their battery from draining too fast. Not everyone is a "phone nerd" who enjoys changing interfaces, rooting and flashing ROMs. Most people just want a seemless device that does what they ask it to do when they want it too.
    Android is not for Everyone. That is the Beauty of Choice.

I have to Disagree with you on the Nook comments you made tho. It literally took 20 minutes to root and flash a rom that is fully capable of running most apps and games that matter in the market. Even before I OC'd it, it was very smooth running ADW EX on the Stock kernel. The Froyo Rom for this thing is very impressive as well. Not to mention the Honeycomb rom....
    [PHONE] Nexus 4

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[TABLET] Nexus 7

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

I will root it. I promised her I would. She doesn't care, but yeah, it looks like something that would really benefit from it. The point is that you shouldn't have too. As much as I compared android to iOS you might think I'm a fanboy, but there are obviously things to not like about iOS too.

Don't misunderstand here slim, but the problem with "choice" right now is that outside of iOS and RIM, android is really the only legit choice. Most buyers don't know squat and buy an android device thinking its an iphone. They then get pissed because it doesn't work like they expected or there is a huge learning curve to get it to do so.

That's what's pissing me off. I desperately want android to blow Steve jobs and his prison ship out of the water, but Google is too busy biting off more than they can chew and trying to "take over the world" to make something that really puts Mr Jobs (Cook now!) in his (their) place!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dudewithaplan View Post
    I will root it. I promised her I would. She doesn't care, but yeah, it looks like something that would really benefit from it. The point is that you shouldn't have too. As much as I compared android to iOS you might think I'm a fanboy, but there are obviously things to not like about iOS too.

Don't misunderstand here slim, but the problem with "choice" right now is that outside of iOS and RIM there android is really the only legit choice. Most buyers don't know squat and buy an android device thinking its an iphone. They then get pissed because it doesn't work like they expected or there is a huge learning curve to get it to do so.

That's what's pissing me off. I desperately want android to blow Steve jobs and his prison ship out of the water, but Google is too busy biting off more than they can chew and trying to "take over the world" to make something that really pust Mr Jobs (Cook now!) in his (their) place!!!
    Well, the Nook Color is an eReader...its not supposed to be a full fledged tablet. The fact that you can run Vanilla Android on it when rooted is a Huge added Bonus.

There is always somewhat of a learning curve when getting a phone with a New OS.
    [PHONE] Nexus 4

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[TABLET] Nexus 7

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

Dumb Question,

What does GingerBread give us that Froyo/CM6 doesn't?

Edit- RIP GINGERBREAD 2.3 long live gingerbread 2.4 from April?

http://androidelectric.com/2011/02/0...ming-in-april/

Root Now!

If that story is correct (summary: GB not going to anything other then Nexus S due to bugs, and Nexus one owners will skip to 2.4 instead) then I am fine with waiting. Android being pushed out in to to fast of a OS release scheduled, rather them take more time and get it right.
    Asus Transformer & Dock - Stock OS
    NookColor - Not Rooted - Running CM7 on mSD
    AT&T Nexus One - Not Rooted
    SquareTrade Warranty - Purchased
    Case-Mate Tough Case + Screen Protector
    Wave Secure + Lookout

I just want a stable Gingerbread release!

Although the custom Gingerbread releases are good, they do have their quirks. Don't get me wrong, they are very good ROM's and generally very stable but every now and then something a little weird and annoying happens; something that rarely ever happens on an official ROM.

Please Google, please release a nice stable update from 2.2.2, it's been too long!
    Nothing is perfect, but we must not lose faith in perfection. If we did, everything would be a whole lot worse than it is now!

Android 2.4 coming April, leaving 2.3 dead on arrival - not Ice Cream - Pocket-lint

This suuucks!
    So does that mean that we are going to have to wait even LONGER to see an OTA update on the Nexus One?
    If 2.4 "Ice Cream" or modified 2.3+4 "ginger bread" or whatever they are going to call it is only going to add the support for dual cores then what about 2.3? There would be no point to give the Nexus One users 2.4 right? And if they do intend to forgo giving use 2.3.. how long are we going to have to wait for 2.4?

this is balls!

:cheer3:
    .:. phoneStats .:.
    .:. Nexus One
    .:. version 2.3.4
    .:. build number GRJ22
    .:. ROOT - Stock Gingerbread img
    .:. Update from Gingerbread 2.3.3 to 2.3.4 and maintain root

Page 47 of 50 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links