Sent phone in for repairs for "dust under screen issues" quoted $196... What?!?

This is a discussion on Sent phone in for repairs for "dust under screen issues" quoted $196... What?!? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; So I've been having the dust under the screen issues with my phone for quite some time but kind of ignored it for a 2 ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sent phone in for repairs for "dust under screen issues" quoted $196... What?!?

Sent phone in for repairs for "dust under screen issues" quoted $196... What?!?

So I've been having the dust under the screen issues with my phone for quite some time but kind of ignored it for a 2 or 3 months. The last month I've started having issues with the USB port being loose and the charger would just come out by itself. So I decided to call up HTC and send in the phone for repairs.

I opened up my e-mail today and in there is a $196 quote for repairs, so I was like WTF?!? I immediately called HTC to find out what the issue was. The rep basically told me that there have been some "out of warranty damage" which surprised me even more because I took care of this phone like a baby, I constantly carried it in the black pouch that came with it, and there were no physical damage to the phone whatsoever. So the rep goes on to say that there has been water damage to the phone and the mother board needs to be replaced. Needless to say I nearly fell out of my chair. There is absolutely no possible way for this phone to have any water damage, literally the closest this phone has ever been to water was probably when I was taking a piss and the phone was in my pocket.

I "escalated" the situation and they're going to send me so pictures, which will not really do anything whatsoever. Has anyone had issues like these with HTC before? Any advice on what to do?

My main concern right now is if there is any possibility that HTC tempered with the device. I know it sounds far fetched, especially for a large company like HTC, but larger companies have done worse things to make an extra buck.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Quote Originally Posted by naltima View Post
    My main concern right now is if there is any possibility that HTC tempered with the device. I know it sounds far fetched, especially for a large company like HTC, but larger companies have done worse things to make an extra buck.
    First off, I am really sorry to hear that you had this happen. Ain't nothing worse that having to pay extra money for repairs

I can pretty much guarantee you that HTC didn't mess with your phone though. I have sent in 3 different Nexus Ones for repair/swap and haven't had any of them tampered with. HTC customer service has been top notch for me and I will stick with them for all of my future phone purchases because of it. You can Google search for HTC customer service and I'm pretty sure you'll find a lot of threads talking about how great the customer service is.

My response doesn't solve how to get the money but just letting you know in my opinion as a fellow N1 owner I would trust HTC if they told me I had water damage.

Edit: Found this thread pretty easily http://www.nexusoneforum.net/forum/n...les-shame.html
    Quote Originally Posted by iPhoneSlayer View Post
    I don't think you could put the Dell Streak in your pockets without your pants falling down. Maybe that's why they call it "Streak", cuz every time you put it in your pockets, you end up going streaking.

Thanks for the reply, I still don't really think there's any possibility that there could be water damage to my phone, I also did hear similar stories from other people where they would send in their phones and they were told their mother board needs to be replaced for no apparent reason.

Honestly, if the mother board was damaged wouldn't there be some sort of glitches happening to the phone on a regular basis? I would think the phone would either 1.) Not work at all, 2.)Randomly restart 3). Or something else. Nothing was wrong with the phone whatsoever except the dust issue and the USB port issue. It just sounds very fishy to me.

Thanks for the reply, I still don't really think there's any possibility that there could be water damage to my phone, I also did hear similar stories from other people where they would send in their phones and they were told their mother board needs to be replaced for no apparent reason.

Honestly, if the mother board was damaged wouldn't there be some sort of glitches happening to the phone on a regular basis? I would think the phone would either 1.) Not work at all, 2.)Randomly restart 3). Or something else. Nothing was wrong with the phone whatsoever except the dust issue and the USB port issue. It just sounds very fishy to me.
    Yeah I agree though the water damage is pretty hard to do if you said you never splashed it on accident. One thing that might have happened is if you kept it in the bathroom while you were taking a shower? Happened to one of the guys in this thread Motherboard Out of Warranty on a 1 Day Old Nexus One - Android Help

I would let HTC know that you were sending the phone in for a dust issue ONLY and for them to fix the dust and send you the phone back.

If you get the phone back and your having said "water damage issues" then you can send it back in again at that point to get it fixed.

If you get the phone back though and there aren't any problems then your free and clear!
    I don't think you could put the Dell Streak in your pockets without your pants falling down. Maybe that's why they call it "Streak", cuz every time you put it in your pockets, you end up going streaking.

I have thought about the bathroom thing. And honestly that could be the issue as I had it in the bathroom a couple of times while taking a shower. That's extremely weird that a little condensation would cause the stickers to turn red and indicate that there was water damage. But that's the first thing I thought of when they said water damage, so I guess that's probably it.

I wonder if I tell them that I only sent it in for dust, would they still charge me?

I wonder if I tell them that I only sent it in for dust, would they still charge me?
    If you tell them you just want the dust fixed then its covered under warranty and you won't pay anything. I'm almost positive they have to tell you beforrhand and you have to authorize repairs make any repairs that might cost you $.

It kind of reminds me of my car mechanic. He will sometimes be cautious saying I will eventually have to repair X part for X amount of money, but that I have to authorize him to do it first before he can.

Sometimes I figured he was just being overly cautious so I said I would deal with it when it became a problem. You could do the same to HTC

Come back when you get your phone back and let us know if you really had any water problems or if HTC was just being overly cautious

Thanks. Supposedly they're going to send me pictures of the phone tomorrow. So we'll see.

Well, if your screen wasn't sealed properly, as evidenced by the dust problem, then I would think that was the cause of any "water damage."

Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    Well, if your screen wasn't sealed properly, as evidenced by the dust problem, then I would think that was the cause of any "water damage."
    In which case it was defective and you shouldn't have to pay a thing for any of the damages.

Quote Originally Posted by dudewithaplan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    In which case it was defective and you shouldn't have to pay a thing for any of the damages.
    Wishful thinking...the battery door, case seams, button recesses, microphone, micro-usb, ALL not waterproof, nor water-resistant. The last place water would have penetrated would be the unsealed screen. Truth is, having the water indicator activated is meaningless on an otherwise working phone. The items requested to be repaired are WARRANTIED repairs, despite a water indicator. If the phone was 'dead', an activated indicator would indeed invalidate a warrany repair...but not for a dusty screen and a loose usb connection. I would stand my ground on this...as I have dropped my phone in my iced tea several times now, and suspect my indicator is activated...but if I had the same issues as OP, I would expect/demand a warranty repair on those issues.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links