noob question, should I buy an N1

This is a discussion on noob question, should I buy an N1 within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; I'm trying to decide if the Nexus one is worth the purchase, or if I should go with the G2 or hold out for the ...

Thread: noob question, should I buy an N1

noob question, should I buy an N1

I'm trying to decide if the Nexus one is worth the purchase, or if I should go with the G2 or hold out for the My Touch HD.

While I'm not crazy about any of the carriers, I'm leaning towards T-Mobile for a couple of reasons. They supported the Android launch, they have HSPA+ where I live and I can get 15% off the plan through an employer discount program. I support the open source principles behind Android (and Linux in general). I haven't spent much money on phones in the past, but I'm ready to make a purchase in the next month or so. Currently I use a cheap phone for calls and a jailbroken iPod Touch for mobile apps.

I like the idea of the N1 because it's easily rooted if I feel the need to do so. I can pwn it, it will likely continue to get the latest and greatest versions of Android and I can tether it. Also, since I assume Google sells it unlocked, I could get a cheaper plan at T-Mo. Downside is aging technology. I realize that is going to happen with any phone, but I don't want to find myself outside of the upgrade path too quickly. Will Google support this phone for at least 2 years with current software?

The G-2 has HSPA+ and is younger in it's life cycle. I'm ambivalent about the keyboard since I find the touch keys on the iPod very easy to use. I expect a similar experience with Android. I've heard about issues with the G2, plus T-Mo has found a way to hamper rooting while blocking the built in tethering of Froyo.

I see the My Touch HD as possibly being a younger stronger N1, albeit without the freedom of being being easily rooted and offering tethering.

In the end I want a phone with software that I can alter as I please. I want to be able to tether, and of course HPSA+ is definitely a consideration , but not necessarily a deal breaker. I've seen reports of the N1 with faster downloads that the Evo 4G.

What do you guys think?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

The nexus one is the best phone. You should, if only for three fact that it's soo easy to install roms.

-Sent from my Nexus One Superphone.

I would highly recommend this phone as its the Best Phone I've ever Owned!
    [PHONE] Nexus 4

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[TABLET] Nexus 7

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

I really do love my Nexus One, and have installed other roms (I was afraid of bricking my phone, but it's actually quite easy to root and install roms). I am currently using eViL's NxSense rom, and like the interface of sense. It seems like the Nexus One might have the most roms available, and there's a big variety. Development continues though this is a 10-month old phone. N1 should be the phone you want for roms and new features.

That said, you might not like the N1 touchscreen typing as much as you think coming from an iPod Touch. The touchscreen is wonky...there are some videos showing how it doesn't track two points very closely or flip-flops them when pinching-to-zoom. The way this works out for typing is that I get wrong letters from time to time. It was a frustration to find that out, but I can still type things pretty well. I think I may just be a little slower at it.

It seems that hackers are breaking through whatever happened to the G2 to make roms/hacking harder. If you're not going to use the keyboard, it sounds like the G2 is a heavier and bigger phone than the N1 and you should avoid it if you don't use the keyboard.

Personally, I love my N1, but am liking the idea of the G2. I could handle a little more bulk for the keyboard, and the N1 is getting older. We still get updates first, so that'll keep the N1 going strong.

-------
    Also, I forgot to add that the Nexus One has limited spacing, so you need to move apps2sd or use hacked scripts. That may not be a big deal, but apparently there's risk of sd card corruption (I had that happen to me doing something wrong on CyanogenMod). The G2 and newer phones are coming with more internal storage, which is really what androids need. Apps are coming out that are 10mb+, of which you could install only a few on a stock N1

the keybroad on the IPOD to the android is different. but you can get accustomed to it quickly. yes the n1 is still considered the best atm.
    iphoneeee killaaaaaaaaaa :nexusx:

Quote Originally Posted by Joshhawaii View Post
    Also, I forgot to add that the Nexus One has limited spacing, so you need to move apps2sd or use hacked scripts. That may not be a big deal, but apparently there's risk of sd card corruption (I had that happen to me doing something wrong on CyanogenMod). The G2 and newer phones are coming with more internal storage, which is really what androids need. Apps are coming out that are 10mb+, of which you could install only a few on a stock N1
    That may be an issue for me. I've read some about apps that allow you to store apps on the SD. Sounds like they aren't a perfect solution yet.

I haven't tried to do much typing on an Android virtual keyboard, but then I have zero experience on a G2-style keyboard either. I plan to go check out a G2 at the local T-Mo store soon. There seems to be a lot of issues with these at launch, but the lure of HPSA+ is strong, but without tethering, I'm less interested in the G2.

Am I correct in thinking that an N1 purchased from the Android Dev site would come unlocked and with root access?

It doesn't come with root, but it's no sweat to root it.

-Sent from my Nexus One Superphone.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links