Looking back at stock...

This is a discussion on Looking back at stock... within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Hello! I encountered a total disaster on my nexus one today. I was flashing things and basically screwed up on one of them. I did ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Looking back at stock...

  1. #1
    Senior Member FC1032's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    371

    Looking back at stock...

    Hello!

    I encountered a total disaster on my nexus one today. I was flashing things and basically screwed up on one of them. I did have a nandroid back up but little did I know this was actually a backup of my stock image not my cyanogen one.

    Anyway, all cyanogen things were lost and I was devastated. I kept pressing the trackball hoping it would unlock the screen... but it did nothing. Its become second nature! Next was the big fat white status bar...

    So I tried to collect myself from the shock I have encountered. Worse thing was the phone decided to download the 2.2.1 update which kills rooting with one click root. I've tried numerous times to re-install cyanogen, but have failed.

    So for now, I'm stuck with stock but its a nice walk down memory lane here's a good list of the differences between the light and dark side.

    Cyanogen:
    *Endless possibilities to change almost everything. I especially like changing the status bar's colour, white just seemed out of place in froyo.
    * That render effect in the settings actually helped with getting rid of the "ghosting" lines that appear on white backgrounds after showing black text
    * Many things built into cyanogen can only be accessed on stock by buying apps. Its much more convenient too!
    * I miss trackball wake. I currently use nolock, but thats unlocking, not waking
    * I miss my transparent widgets!
    - one thing that kept bugging me was the fact that many of my settings (automatic settings for some apps) see to no not work after a reboot, I'd always have to manually set it to make it work


    Stock:
    * Despite running the same version of launcherpro, animations, transitions are just much much smoother in stock. i don't know why (perhaps its the clean wipes I've done)... but its sooooo much more smoother
    * Actually, the whole system seems alittle more smooth than cyanogen.
    *That's about it

    When it passes midnight here, I'll download the Super one click app to root and get back to cyanogen (even though its not as smooth). I was willing to try MIUI too, but I STILL can't get over those icons and over rounded everything. Maybe when some icon packs and stuff come out I'll go over.

    So, moral of the story: ALWAYS _ALWAYS_ DO A NANDROID BACKUP!!

    ♫ ♪ You don't know what you've got until its gone... ♫ ♪
    Galaxy Nexus? I like Nexus prime more. Even the code name "Maguro" seemed cooler.

  2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

  3. #2
    Super Moderator AndroidIsTheTruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    8
    Thanked
    10 times
    Not only do I back up, I also back up to my computer. It was crucial when I made the dumb mistake of partitioning my SD card through ClockWorkMod but I remember I had backed up on my computer. WHEW what a savior for me that was.
    Androidfied.

  4. #3
    Senior Member ap3604's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    226
    Quote Originally Posted by FC1032 View Post
    Stock:
    * Despite running the same version of launcherpro, animations, transitions are just much much smoother in stock. i don't know why (perhaps its the clean wipes I've done)... but its sooooo much more smoother
    * Actually, the whole system seems alittle more smooth than cyanogen.
    So stock is like having an In-n-Out milkshake whereas CyanogenMod is like eating sandpaper?

    I'll stick with the smooth stock then thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by iPhoneSlayer View Post
    I don't think you could put the Dell Streak in your pockets without your pants falling down. Maybe that's why they call it "Streak", cuz every time you put it in your pockets, you end up going streaking.

  5. #4
    Senior Member FC1032's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    371
    Quote Originally Posted by ap3604 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FC1032 View Post
    Stock:
    * Despite running the same version of launcherpro, animations, transitions are just much much smoother in stock. i don't know why (perhaps its the clean wipes I've done)... but its sooooo much more smoother
    * Actually, the whole system seems alittle more smooth than cyanogen.
    So stock is like having an In-n-Out milkshake whereas CyanogenMod is like eating sandpaper?

    I'll stick with the smooth stock then thanks
    too be fair, I did have a bit more apps while in cyanogen so that might have bogged it down alittle.

    But in all honesty, the benefits of cyanogen outweigh the smoothness of stock. I'm sure there is a way to get the best of both worlds though

    "Super one click" didn't turn out as simple as it sounded... Still not rooted ARGGGGGG... funny thing is there is the super user app in the menu, but I am not rooted nor am I able to remove it.
    Galaxy Nexus? I like Nexus prime more. Even the code name "Maguro" seemed cooler.

  6. #5
    Super Moderator AndroidIsTheTruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    8
    Thanked
    10 times
    Will never look back to stock. Going back to stock would be like going back to some worn out Chuck Taylors when I been used to wearing Gators shoes.
    Androidfied.

  7. #6
    Senior Member FC1032's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    371
    Quote Originally Posted by AndroidIsTheTruth View Post
    Will never look back to stock. Going back to stock would be like going back to some worn out Chuck Taylors when I been used to wearing Gators shoes.
    Yes stock is indeed a little "plain"

    Is MIUI stable enough for everyday use?
    Galaxy Nexus? I like Nexus prime more. Even the code name "Maguro" seemed cooler.

  8. #7
    Super Moderator AndroidIsTheTruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    8
    Thanked
    10 times
    Quote Originally Posted by FC1032 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AndroidIsTheTruth View Post
    Will never look back to stock. Going back to stock would be like going back to some worn out Chuck Taylors when I been used to wearing Gators shoes.
    Yes stock is indeed a little "plain"

    Is MIUI stable enough for everyday use?
    YES! It great.

    Been using the 0.9.30, then switched to Rod's v1.1 and now on Rod's 1.3 Super stable and super fast.
    Androidfied.

  9. #8
    Senior Member FC1032's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    371
    Quote Originally Posted by AndroidIsTheTruth View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FC1032 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AndroidIsTheTruth View Post
    Will never look back to stock. Going back to stock would be like going back to some worn out Chuck Taylors when I been used to wearing Gators shoes.
    Yes stock is indeed a little "plain"

    Is MIUI stable enough for everyday use?
    YES! It great.

    Been using the 0.9.30, then switched to Rod's v1.1 and now on Rod's 1.3 Super stable and super fast.
    I finally took the plung into MIUI. I've had to go through a few roms to get the best one. THe first on just wouldn't install, just reboot and stay on the :nexusx:, the second one, was slightly better, it installed and let me play around with the UI Problem was, it didn't load my gallary from SD card, just the online picassa stuff.

    I now ended up using Rods MIUI and its great! However, I don't have the internet ATM so I don't have anyhting on my phone.

    It would be great if MIUI:

    *was a little toned down to use straight lines and not use iphone styled icons (but its still ok)
    * I was a little disappointed that there was no touch focus in the camera app (i thought it was based of CM6, which had touch focus? )
    * it got more support from other devs I have some stuff which doesn work. e.g transparent widget install kills the settings menu.
    * THe lockscreen is great (innovative too!), but those buttons are too huge, they are obnoxious! I AM A BUTTON SLIDE ME :rofl3: The glows-when-charging/low battery feature is plain awesome
    * Kinetic scrolling!!!! *boiing!!!*
    * in general, I was hoping it was CM6 with all the new UI goodies, but theres somethings I would like to see in MIUI (namely: the touch focus and render effects)

    Its still a little early for me to actually review MIUI But some things I look forward to is to seeing what the battery life is!
    Galaxy Nexus? I like Nexus prime more. Even the code name "Maguro" seemed cooler.

  10. #9
    Super Moderator AndroidIsTheTruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    8
    Thanked
    10 times
    From my understanding the two have been working closely together so hopefully the next upgrade will be something to look forward to. But I wonder if any of that will matter considering that gingerbread is lurking around the corner
    Androidfied.

  11. #10
    Senior Member FC1032's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    371
    Quote Originally Posted by AndroidIsTheTruth View Post
    From my understanding the two have been working closely together so hopefully the next upgrade will be something to look forward to. But I wonder if any of that will matter considering that gingerbread is lurking around the corner
    just implementing the many goodies of both CM6 and MIUI woould enough to make me happy about GB.

    EDIT: Is that CPU button in the notification bar used to activate overclocking? i.e when activated its OC to 1.13Ghz and off its set to the stock 1GHz?
    Galaxy Nexus? I like Nexus prime more. Even the code name "Maguro" seemed cooler.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Android Forum