Tmo wifi charge

This is a discussion on Tmo wifi charge within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Andoid police just posted about Tmobile jumping on the bandwagon and is to begin charging for wifi tethering on Nov. 3. If our phones are ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tmo wifi charge

Tmo wifi charge

Andoid police just posted about Tmobile jumping on the bandwagon and is to begin charging for wifi tethering on Nov. 3.

If our phones are rooted can we get away with it still? How does this affect you all?

http://www.androidpolice.com/2010/10...-november-3rd/
    Rooted One Click Method 8/11/10
    Unlocked Bootloader 11/11/10
    Rom: CM7 RC1 w/ Honeybread theme

Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
    (I'll either find a way or make one)

DragonGunner

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Seeing is this is a Nexus One forum, it won't really concern us, rooted, or non-rooted. The fee is for T-Mo phones that want to tether, so you can use a special app from T-Mo. Those phones either don't have 2.2, or have 2.2 but T-Mo removed the ability to tether, or use the hotspot. Nexus Ones by nature have 2.2 with the tethering/hotspot already included.

Yeah this won't effect us at all, unless tmobile demand google remove tethering from our phones which I doubt would happen...

Actually I don`t think they need to remove the tethering feature to be able to do this. I think they can know when you are using the tethering feature but to do this the phone needs to be locked and we all know that the nexus one is not locked so we are safe. As for t-mo telling Google to take away the tethering feature I don`t think Google are going to do that because 1. There are other providers that nexus one owners are using like at&t (for allot of people) and Fido (for me). 2. Because t-mo have no authority over Google so if Google says no then t-mobile have nothing to say about it. 3. Well that one I will have to get back to you on but 1 and 2 I think is enough to not worry.

I dunno

The original MyTouch is currently being updated with Froyo OTA. The update includes tethering. (but not hotspot)

I can confirm this, I still have a stock MT3G, and it's rockin' factory Froyo, and tethering works.

Now I'm wondering if they can tell when it's being used, on the official ROM at least...

Boooo to T-mobile

I've been using the wifi hotspot for a couple months now and just yesterday morning (11-15-10) T-Mobile made the feature unusable. I can still connect to my hotspot but now when I try to surf on a computer that's connected it redirects to a T-mobile page that says I'll need to add the tethering feature to my plan for $15/month.

If T-mobile would have just let us Nexus One users get by with this I can honestly say they would have had me as a customer for a long time to come. Now after being with them for 7 years and encountering this as well as some really crappily handled outages I'll be switching come contract time. I'm gonna miss my Nexus one though, best phone I've ever had by a long shot.

Hotspot is still working for me, I'm posting with it right now (Seattle area)

Wonder how they would know... and is there a browser setting or something else that can be changed that might fool 'em

When a browser requests a web page, it sends a long descriptive header to the server, so it's easy for the service provider to see that there is more than one concurrent browser on a connection. Perhaps if all the tethered clients are N1 with identical software configs, you might get away with it!

Interesting. I did go over my 5GB data limit for the first time last month and therefore was throttled. I wonder if they flag users who go over and then block the use of the wifi hotspot? Or maybe it will just take a while for them to get to everyone...

I just tried it using my Desire HD. Wi-Fi hotspot is good to go. I can do whatever I want. I'll try my Nexus One when I get home. I never go over 2GB a month, so maybe they don't care about me! LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links