Deleting Youtube.apk on non-rooted Froyo N1

This is a discussion on Deleting Youtube.apk on non-rooted Froyo N1 within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Hi, I recently tried to upgrade my N1 from the pre-installed YouTube v1.6.21 to the newest version 2.0.26 that was released last week. Hoewever, after ...

Thread: Deleting Youtube.apk on non-rooted Froyo N1

Question Deleting Youtube.apk on non-rooted Froyo N1

Hi,

I recently tried to upgrade my N1 from the pre-installed YouTube v1.6.21 to the newest version 2.0.26 that was released last week. Hoewever, after the download, the install fails, with an error: 'Package file was not signed correctly.'

Having looked into this issue it appears that the problem arises from the original YouTube app being signed with a different signature to the new version.

Apparently the only way to resolve this issue is to remove the older version of YouTUbe from /system/apps/youtube.apk. However, to do this, most forum threads say you have to be running as a super user, on rooted Android. My Android isn't rooted, and I don't really want to root it, as it voids the warranty.

Does anyone know if it's possible to delete system apk files on a non rooted phone?

Many thanks

Ben

Spec: Nexus One | Froyo 2.2 | Vodafone uK | FRF91

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Well itís true that you can`t remove the original YouTube app without root. But if your only concern from root is voiding the warranty then you can root without unlocking the bootloader by using the one click root app. It only works on 2.2 as your original post says you are but if you are on 2.2.1 then you need super one click. And last thing the new YouTube app is in the market so just search YouTube in market and you will find it so no need to root (and this one will override the original because it has permission that Google gave it)

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links