Reformating PC & Losing Drivers

This is a discussion on Reformating PC & Losing Drivers within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; I've purchased my Nexus One earlier this year, and I remember I had a lot of difficulty with my OS recognizing the phone. I used ...

Thread: Reformating PC & Losing Drivers

Reformating PC & Losing Drivers

I've purchased my Nexus One earlier this year, and I remember I had a lot of difficulty with my OS recognizing the phone. I used Windows 7 64 Bit and it always showed up as "Android Phone" whenever I plugged my phone in. I'm not too sure if Google has fixed this with their updates (I was using 2.1 I think), and Froyo might be a little different.

If I were to reformat, what do I have to do in order for my OS to recognize my Nexus One? I remember I had to download these weird drivers, and actually trick my OS to read the phone.

Also, when it comes to fast boot, I'm a complete idiot. I've already unlocked and rooted my Nexus One so it has bootloader and everything. If I were to reformat my hard drive, would I just have to download fast boot (the Android-SK thing) and simply install it in my C: drive as Android-SDK-Windows?

From there, I can just install recovery files such as Arom by booting my phone in fastboot, plugging it to my PC (via usb), opening up fastboot and typing in the command? Or am I missing something?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Reformatting isn't going to change anything. You can download all the drivers you want and download and re-download the Android SDK with the drivers and continue to have an unrecognized device.

Actually, I should say it isn't going to change anything, because it may. I have changed USB cables and it seemed to work for a few. I would then have to change which USB port I plugged my phone into. I have two ports on the left side of my Dell laptop and one on the right (usually the main USB for a mouse). My Nexus One won't be recognized on the left two USB ports but will be recognized on the right.

It may be a Windows things? However, I haven't had the issue on my Windows Vista desktop computer. Just with my Windows 7 Laptop. Try switching USB cables. Try different ports.

You can search google for the Nexus One USB issues and there are endless amount of threads contributing to the cause. It often says to re-download the drivers. Re-install android SDK etc. etc. You can try this and it may work for you. Just know that quite a few people also have issues with it as well, including myself. It's very complicating because I mount my Nexus often.

Another alternative would be to get an SD Card inserter/reader and insert the small SD card into a readable device such as a laptop and transfer files that way. Tedious and time consuming but it's an alternative.

--> Ne:nexusx:uS One ROOTED

--> ...a Gingerbread ROM

- Our handicapped puppy -

*Follow me on Twitter

EASY ROOT + CUSTOM KERNEL FLASHING INSTRUCTIONS ----> HERE

I have several devices running both windows 7 32 & 64bit and they pick the phone up instantly and install drivers accordingly, you might have a problem if you try and plug in while offline and in that case the machine will not be able to install drivers but will check the device off as sorted so that the next time you connect it wont install them either.

But i am sure that after a nice wipe and restore the pc should recognise the phone and install what is needed.
    NEXUS ONE
    11.02.2010 - SuperBoot Rooted
    24.02.2010 - Amon Ra's Recovery
    24.02.2010 - 05.10.2010 Cyanogen Era
    06.10.2010 - 08.12.2010 - RoDrIgUeZsTyLe´s MIUIMOD Era
    04.05.2011 - CyanogenMod 7.0.3

NOTION INK ADAM
    04.04.2011 - Rooted & CW Recovery Installed
    04.04.2011 - BEAST 2.1.3 PQi + 3g Version
    02.05.2011 - BEAST 2.2

Quote Originally Posted by Sheanzy View Post
    Reformatting isn't going to change anything. You can download all the drivers you want and download and re-download the Android SDK with the drivers and continue to have an unrecognized device.

Actually, I should say it isn't going to change anything, because it may. I have changed USB cables and it seemed to work for a few. I would then have to change which USB port I plugged my phone into. I have two ports on the left side of my Dell laptop and one on the right (usually the main USB for a mouse). My Nexus One won't be recognized on the left two USB ports but will be recognized on the right.

It may be a Windows things? However, I haven't had the issue on my Windows Vista desktop computer. Just with my Windows 7 Laptop. Try switching USB cables. Try different ports.

You can search google for the Nexus One USB issues and there are endless amount of threads contributing to the cause. It often says to re-download the drivers. Re-install android SDK etc. etc. You can try this and it may work for you. Just know that quite a few people also have issues with it as well, including myself. It's very complicating because I mount my Nexus often.

Another alternative would be to get an SD Card inserter/reader and insert the small SD card into a readable device such as a laptop and transfer files that way. Tedious and time consuming but it's an alternative.
    What laptop do you have? my xps m1530 did the same thing when i plugged in something heavy on the right it used to cut the power to the lefts :S was a PITA when i was transferring big files and then knocked the right had port only to have the left hand side die :S
    NEXUS ONE
    11.02.2010 - SuperBoot Rooted
    24.02.2010 - Amon Ra's Recovery
    24.02.2010 - 05.10.2010 Cyanogen Era
    06.10.2010 - 08.12.2010 - RoDrIgUeZsTyLe´s MIUIMOD Era
    04.05.2011 - CyanogenMod 7.0.3

NOTION INK ADAM
    04.04.2011 - Rooted & CW Recovery Installed
    04.04.2011 - BEAST 2.1.3 PQi + 3g Version
    02.05.2011 - BEAST 2.2

Where do I get the Nexus One Drivers though?

I clearly remember I downloaded them somewhere, and I had to re-direct them somehow and then the "Android Phone" turned into "Nexus One". I tried plugging it in different USB ports and didn't work.

Is there specific drivers that I can download?

Quote Originally Posted by Nobby View Post

What laptop do you have? my xps m1530 did the same thing when i plugged in something heavy on the right it used to cut the power to the lefts :S was a PITA when i was transferring big files and then knocked the right had port only to have the left hand side die :S
    thats the lappy i have mate and it recognised my n1 right away

I have a Dell Inspiron. It's just a basic laptop to get me through college. I graduate soon and will be getting a MacBook in two months.

After you re-download Android SDK from here: Android SDK | Android Developers in the top left hand corner, you will then open up SDK Manager.

Within the interface you'll see a bunch of question marks (?) and green checkmarks. Near the bottom, you will see the USB driver package. I just un-check everything and only download the USB drivers.

Oh and it only works on my right USB port... FML

--> Ne:nexusx:uS One ROOTED

--> ...a Gingerbread ROM

- Our handicapped puppy -

*Follow me on Twitter

EASY ROOT + CUSTOM KERNEL FLASHING INSTRUCTIONS ----> HERE

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links