So this is what gingerbread is going to look like?

This is a discussion on So this is what gingerbread is going to look like? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Check out this article where somebody found a maps style change in the Google Maps code: Gingerbread Style Tweaks Uncovered in Google Maps Update | ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So this is what gingerbread is going to look like?

So this is what gingerbread is going to look like?

Check out this article where somebody found a maps style change in the Google Maps code:

Gingerbread Style Tweaks Uncovered in Google Maps Update | Android Phone Fans
    Nothing is perfect, but we must not lose faith in perfection. If we did, everything would be a whole lot worse than it is now!

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I'm liking Froyo better. Better use of screen real estate in my opinion.

Seems like Google is ignoring the users here. The "remove the search bar" post (see http://www.nexusoneforum.net/forum/n...ps-option.html) keeps moving up, but apparently Google just released another update of Maps and the search bar still is not an option. Stupid. If the new maps is forced on us in Gingerbread, I may not upgrade. It's one of the most important applications on the phone for me.

If the new look means better performance, then I could go for that. But mainly, I want more memory so I'm not restricted on the applications I can load. I've got a 16GB card in my phone, and I'm restricted to 256MB of application memory?

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingsCool View Post

what do you mean? based on that pic of gingerbread the menu takes up less space on the screen, looks like better use of real estate to me over froyo

Seems like Google is ignoring the users here. The "remove the search bar" post (see http://www.nexusoneforum.net/forum/n...ps-option.html) keeps moving up, but apparently Google just released another update of Maps and the search bar still is not an option. Stupid. If the new maps is forced on us in Gingerbread, I may not upgrade. It's one of the most important applications on the phone for me.

If the new look means better performance, then I could go for that. But mainly, I want more memory so I'm not restricted on the applications I can load. I've got a 16GB card in my phone, and I'm restricted to 256MB of application memory?

You could always Root and use a Rom with apps2sd. That would solve ur memory issue.

Also I don't understand the big deal about the search bar in the maps app. I actually like it there because I use the search function often.
    [PHONE] Nexus 4

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[TABLET] Nexus 7

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

Quote Originally Posted by deel View Post

what do you mean? based on that pic of gingerbread the menu takes up less space on the screen, looks like better use of real estate to me over froyo
    +1 Agreed

GB will Murder Froyo
    [PHONE] Nexus 4

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[TABLET] Nexus 7

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

Well, from my point of view, if I'm looking at a menu, I'd rather have it take up MORE of the screen so I can see more of the list. I'm not looking at the map then. Why would I want a smaller menu? It's not like I need to see anything else other than the menu.

Regarding the search bar, I like to scroll around on my map and look for things. The search bar is always there and covers a portion of the map and I can see less. It's not like it's context sensitive. And it's not like my phone has a huge screen. Not only that, they put the search bar on the top of the window. When I'm driving somewhere, I'd at least rather have the search bar on the bottom if I have the map oriented in the direction of travel. Now it covers even more space so I can't see what is ahead.

But the search bar and other buttons are superflouous. I can access search from the search button on my phone, or select search in the menu. Why do I need yet another way to access search, one which takes up screen real estate ALL THE TIME, not just when I want to do a search?

I admit, I do like having the layer button on the screen, I use that a lot, and there's not a button for that on the front of the phone. So I was perfectly happy with just a layer button and that's it on my map. Even then, I liked having the ability to turn it off. Why did they take that choice away from me and force me to have the space hogging search bar on ALL THE TIME, even when I don't need it?

I bought this phone for its utility. Google wants me to use the phone to search so they can monetize it. Yes, I understand that some people are too stupid to know that they can search the map or figure out that they can hit the search button or the menu button (I am NOT implying that about you, I understand you like the convenience), so they decided to stick Search in our face so we can't ignore it. Unfortunately, Google's needs are getting in the way of my needs here. I search the same with or without that bar. Get rid of it, or at least allow me to turn it off.

Hmm, this seems a lot like what Microsoft got pinged for for including Internet Explorer on every computer. What if I wanted to use a different search provider from my phone. I smell Google treading in dangerous waters here. I wonder why MS hasn't brought this to court yet and forced Google to allow the user to say which search provider they use in the search functionality? Then again, maybe that's already there like it is when you set up explorer. Can I choose Bing when I set up my phone? I forget. Not that I'd want to, just making a point.

Super Moderator AndroidIsTheTruth's Avatar
    I'm sorry but that "screenshot" is nothing for me to even care about.
    Androidfied.

hmmmm... well it looks a little more sophisticated and clean.

Wasn't there supposed to be a MAJOR UI revamp? I thought the google yanked the webos guy and took over bumptop, both of which SHOULD bring major UI changes.
    Galaxy Nexus? I like Nexus prime more. Even the code name "Maguro" seemed cooler.

Super Moderator AndroidIsTheTruth's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FC1032 View Post
    hmmmm... well it looks a little more sophisticated and clean.

Wasn't there supposed to be a MAJOR UI revamp? I thought the google yanked the webos guy and took over bumptop, both of which SHOULD bring major UI changes.
    Either bump top is gonna be honeycomb tablet or desktop os. I can't really see any benefits to a phone on the small screen. Just my opinion
    Androidfied.

Quote Originally Posted by AndroidIsTheTruth View Post
    Either bump top is gonna be honeycomb tablet or desktop os. I can't really see any benefits to a phone on the small screen. Just my opinion
    :D I look forward to honeycomb also!

Hopefully the webos guy does the magic on gingerbread.
    Galaxy Nexus? I like Nexus prime more. Even the code name "Maguro" seemed cooler.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links