Trackballs usage

This is a discussion on Trackballs usage within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; if the cursor were thick enough to be seen clearly. The 1 pixel wide line is mighty tiny and often hard to see depending on ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trackballs usage

It would be a lot more useful

if the cursor were thick enough to be seen clearly. The 1 pixel wide line is mighty tiny and often hard to see depending on the background color of the text area where you are selecting or editing text.

I actually use my trackball a lot while surfing and scrolling. For me, it offers a more natural and secure grip on the phone, and it helps keep fingerprints and streaks across the screen down to a minimum. Also, I find it easier to accurately click smaaall text links with the trackball vs. touchscreen (fat fingers), and it's a handy way to adjust both the volume and seek through videos and music. (Flash videos in the browser, youtube app, etc.) It's also the quickest way to get from your first homescreen to your last homescreen. it's nice and flickable.

Add to that the previously mentioned coloured alerts, wake and unlock to save wear on the delicate power button, and a hardware camera shutter button, and you have a pretty nifty little item.

Initially I found the trackball to be quite useless since you can do very little with it on the custom rom. I installed LockerWidget and was able to use the trackball to wake the phone, but installing LockerWidget means that you have to slide twice to get into the phone which is a pain. However, after I flashed CyanogenMod onto my Nexus I've found multiple uses for the trackball. Trackball wake is by far my favourite of its uses :-)

Super Moderator AndroidIsTheTruth's Avatar
    10 times
    All I know is I use it daily with text editing, wake, scrolling. I love it.

I wish the trackball push could be configured to be an application switcher, instead of a click. I never use the trackball to select items, only for fine scrolling in text, so it would be very nice to use that instead of long pressing my home button =\

Thanks again for these comments. I hadn't tried using the trackball when editing text, and it is definately alot easier to use than the touch interface.

I tried some of the suggested Apps, and seems as if they don't work on a stock (unrooted) Nexus one. which is a bit disappointing. I still need to try Widget Lock, as that does seem like it should work with N1.

I love how Opera browser uses the trackball to control a cursor... it feels natural and I cant see why the native browser or Dolphin both don't use it the same way since my fingers can't easily "click" on the right link on certain sites...

Its especially useful when a site uses some kind of roll over navigation which is would be impossible to browse without a trackball..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links