Trackballs usage

This is a discussion on Trackballs usage within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Hey, I'm a new N1 user, and wondering what people use the trackball for. To me, it seems sort of useless. I realize it can ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trackballs usage

Trackballs usage

Hey, I'm a new N1 user, and wondering what people use the trackball for.

To me, it seems sort of useless. I realize it can be used to select (or "click" or "tap") on items in the UI. However, that is what the touch screen is for, and it does a much better job. I just point at the item and tap it. Rather than move the trackball to the item and then click. It really seems clunky to me.

The ability for the trackball to glow white when messages are waiting is sort of nice, but I can't say it is that great.

I saw some references to the ability to change the color of the glowing trackball, maybe depending on the type of message waiting, but seems as if Goog has no intention of adding this "feature" and the only way to make use of it is to root the system.

I am new to Android and the N1, so just wondering if I am missing something. Really appreciate your input.

Do any games use it?
    Do any other Android phones have this? I realize trackballs were valuable on blackberry devices, but that was because they had no touchscreen.

Touchscreen just seems like such a more natural input method. And, maybe this is why the trackball does nothing. Of course, it seems odd that Goog put it in their own branded phone, and then did nothing with it and have no intention of making it much more useful.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Trackball wake is something I use quite often because id like to avoid a dead power button.

the trackball is nice when typing and mistakes are made.

Some emulators have an option to use the trackball as the dpad.

Handcent has an option to use the trackball color notifications for incoming sms.

Gmail notifier lets you have color trackball notification colors too for incoming email
    [PHONE] Nexus 4

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[TABLET] Nexus 7

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

Super Moderator AndroidIsTheTruth's Avatar
    It has it's functions. Camera Click Button. Precise Select Text when copying. Also precise mouse use in certain apps like Opera Browser. The trackball is mulitcolor and with the right App / ROM, you can have different notification flash certain colors like Green Blue Cyan, Yellow Red, Magenta, Orange, etc etc., when you screen is off. And it is very efficient for use if you're rooted user constantly accessing Recovery as it makes browser through it faster and easier.

I personally am glad to have it and will miss it when/if I ever upgrade.
    Androidfied.

Hey guys, thanks for your quick response!

@SliceburgSlim :

"Trackball Wake" sounds great. How do I access this? I searched marketplace. I looked into settings. I can't find how to turn this feature "on" . I would love this feature.

@AndroidIsTheTruth :

I understand that the color can change with different firmware installed. Will the standard firmware ever make use of the multiple colors? I would rather not root.

Thanks for the tip on the Camera Click. This was just the info I am looking for.

Cheers!

there is an app you can purchase in the market called Widget Locker that has that option for trackball wake if I'm not mistaken
    [PHONE] Nexus 4

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[TABLET] Nexus 7

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

try editing text without a trackball then come back to me. it's probably one of the best things about the nexus regarding typing and editing. it exists for a reason

It's like having the best of both worlds
    Phones Owned: Nokia 6200; Nokia 6126 2ea; BB 8700g; BB 8900; MyTouch 4G; Nexus One: HTC One S; Carrier-TMobile

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

San Francisco Giants

Trackball is FTW for me. Especially Trackball Alert.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk
    "You don't know the power of the dark side!"

try blink too!
    Other phones will make fun of your virgin phone. Then your virgin phone will feel ugly and fat. It will have self esteem issues and start to hang around iPhones. Then it will end up in a dark drawer next to a dirty iPod and a whole lot of regrets. Is this want you want WERA!!
    For the love of God and your Nexus One. Root it!!!:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Awesome stuff here...I'll check out the recommended apps! Many Thanks! Nexus One Rocks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links