Airplane mode... can I use it on airplanes?

This is a discussion on Airplane mode... can I use it on airplanes? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Hello everyone! I'm about to travel overseas although there are a few good movies on the flight, I can tell I'll be quite bored on ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Airplane mode... can I use it on airplanes?

Airplane mode... can I use it on airplanes?

Hello everyone!

I'm about to travel overseas although there are a few good movies on the flight, I can tell I'll be quite bored on the 8-9 hour flight.

So thing is, I've been quite paranoid about what I can and can't bring to use on planes. I keep getting scared that the plane might explode or something With this thought in my mind, I just avoid electronics on a plane in general.

Can someone give me breakdown of what is allowed on planes? I had experiences during take off and landing, everything needs to be off and things need to be stowed away. But once the plane reaches cruising speed and the seatbelt sign is off, we can use them. I'd assume wireless connections need to be off on any device?

Thanks in advance!
    Galaxy Nexus? I like Nexus prime more. Even the code name "Maguro" seemed cooler.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Twitter
    Nd1razor
    I travel back and forth from my college to back home, 7-8Hr flight every term,
    Generally, phones with flight mode on are allowed.

How ever iv occasionally been told to switch it off, during takeoff (untill the seatbelt sign is switched off) and landing

I use it all the time, just make sure it is in flight mode.

It is just a safty precaution, the radio waves mess with navigation, nothing will go boom on the off chance that someone leaves their phone on.

safe trip!

Quote Originally Posted by Fury View Post
    I travel back and forth from my college to back home, 7-8Hr flight every term,
    Generally, phones with flight mode on are allowed.

How ever iv occasionally been told to switch it off, during takeoff (untill the seatbelt sign is switched off) and landing

I use it all the time, just make sure it is in flight mode.

It is just a safty precaution, the radio waves mess with navigation, nothing will go boom on the off chance that someone leaves their phone on.

safe trip!

Well I was planning to plan angry birds (the seasons edition) and maybe a few gba games on the gameboid (the screen on the nexus is actually bigger than the GBA!)

As long as the plane doesn't explode I feel fine :D

So this applies to all electronics with wireless connections?
    Galaxy Nexus? I like Nexus prime more. Even the code name "Maguro" seemed cooler.

Yes, all electronics must be off at takeoff and landing per FAA rules. In reality, however, the phones aren't going to do anything to even the navigation systems, much less blow the plane up.

Can you imagine what would happen if the navigation systems were that sensitive that some sort of electronic interference 20 - 200 ft from the device could make it be wrong? That's ridiculous. You know the pilot's got his laptop/tablet on with all of his flight information, maps, etc..

Granted, you can't be too safe when you're in a situtation where you can't pull over if you have a problem. And yes, somebody with bad intentions could bring a device on board which could damage electronics, or perhaps even somebody who doesn't realize their electronic box has been compromised and is emitting boatloads of electromagnetic radiation that MIGHT cause a problem, hence the FAA rule. But a problem due to a cell phone, nah, non-issue.

In other words, no worries. You will be safe with your phone in airplane mode.

I have but once maybe in the last 10 or 20 years... so this might be a stupid question, but is there power outlets on the plan for the cellphones or laptops?
    Asus Transformer & Dock - Stock OS
    NookColor - Not Rooted - Running CM7 on mSD
    AT&T Nexus One - Not Rooted
    SquareTrade Warranty - Purchased
    Case-Mate Tough Case + Screen Protector
    Wave Secure + Lookout

Quote Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
    I have but once maybe in the last 10 or 20 years... so this might be a stupid question, but is there power outlets on the plan for the cellphones or laptops?
    I think this depends on the airline and which class you are flying. I've read that business class have power outlets... I've only flown economy and so far have not had a power outlet.

Thanks for everyones responses :D

Very few airplanes have power outlets, but it is an option that is appearing more often. It used to be limited to intercontinental flights pretty much, and you had to have a special adapter cord to use it (it was not a standard socket). But the newer airplanes are being delivered with outlets I have heard. But don't expect it.

go hang out in the bathroom and charge your cell :rofl3: im positive there's a socket there

i'm serious
    Quote Originally Posted by Yadao View Post
    Anything with an i in the front of it from Apple is not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by bud760 View Post
    go hang out in the bathroom and charge your cell :rofl3: im positive there's a socket there

i'm serious
    Actually, i never thought of that. I'm also pretty sure there is a socket in the bathroom.

Twitter
    Nd1razor
    One of my flights had a usb socket to plug in your usb drive to save your movie settings (dont ask me :\ )
    Works well to charge your N1 on long flights!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links