Go launcher

This is a discussion on Go launcher within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; AndroidSPIN GO Launcher, Another Home Launcher Replacement New launcher out that is supposed to give Launcher Pro and ADW competition. with up to 30 screens....

Thread: Go launcher

Go launcher

AndroidSPIN GO Launcher, Another Home Launcher Replacement

New launcher out that is supposed to give Launcher Pro and ADW competition. with up to 30 screens.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Google Nexus One Froyo
    Rooted ~ CM 6RC3~ CM6.0 N1~ Nightlies ~
    Was Using~ eViL's NXSense v.1.21.3 - 720p, BT, FM, Hotspots, Kitchen Sink
    Was Using~ MicroMod's 2.12 Desire SuperHybrid
    Was Using~ MicroMod's Gingerbread CM7 Custom ROM v1.2 (DT's-Ap2Ext,Bat%,Themed
    Was Using ~ BlackDroid's Nexus One - UD 3.1.0Rom
    Was Using ~ CM 7 Gingerbread Green or Blue ExtremeMod ROM
    Now ~ CM NIGHTLY'S

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Thanks for the heads up. I will give it a try.

Downloaded it, tried it, but I have to say:

I don't like it

Nothing is perfect, but we must not lose faith in perfection. If we did, everything would be a whole lot worse than it is now!

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy82 View Post
    Downloaded it, tried it, but I have to say:

I don't like it

I haven't tried it. I was wondering about it. They gave a big high 5 on it but guess it isn't all they said. lol

Thanks for letting us know...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Google Nexus One Froyo
    Rooted ~ CM 6RC3~ CM6.0 N1~ Nightlies ~
    Was Using~ eViL's NXSense v.1.21.3 - 720p, BT, FM, Hotspots, Kitchen Sink
    Was Using~ MicroMod's 2.12 Desire SuperHybrid
    Was Using~ MicroMod's Gingerbread CM7 Custom ROM v1.2 (DT's-Ap2Ext,Bat%,Themed
    Was Using ~ BlackDroid's Nexus One - UD 3.1.0Rom
    Was Using ~ CM 7 Gingerbread Green or Blue ExtremeMod ROM
    Now ~ CM NIGHTLY'S

I tried it out and I think its a very good home replacement...much better than the stock launcher. As far as comparing it to LauncherPro, I'd have to say that it is very similar, it just lacks some of the custom widgets and more advanced features that come with the paid version of LP. Both support scrollable widgets (a must in a launcher for me). Both allow for easy transfer of apps and widgets to another homescreen. Both support docks with up to 3 docks total and 5 apps per dock. Scrolling between docks is very similar. Both docks will notify you of the number of missed calls, unread texts, etc. Both support resizeable widgets.

One way in which Go Launcher blows LP out of the water is the way Go Launcher allows you to re-arrange your homescreens in any order you like. You can open a window that looks very much like a screen preview of all your homescreens, but in that window you can drag each screen to a new position. LP doesn't offer this feature that I'm aware of and that can make major changes to the way you use your homescreens a big ordeal. If I could take one feature from Go Launcher and add it to LP this would be it.

LauncherPro definitely does some things better than Go Launcher, though. The activities feature of LP is very nice. I used it to create a shortcut for the alarm clock, which I use frequently. I hated having to always open the clock app first and then select alarms. I also used it to create a shortcut to the video camera. I did notice, however, that with LP installed on the phone Go Launcher allowed me to use LP's activities feature to create custom shortcuts in Go Launcher. Very interesting.

Finally, as I mentioned already, Go Launcher lacks some of the more advanced features offered by LP...but its also a very young app at this point. At the very least, I would recommend trying out Go Launcher. If you don't use some of the more advanced features in LP you may actually prefer Go Launcher. It is certainly easier to customize simply because there aren't as many customizations that can be made yet. For me personally, I think for now I'm going to stick with LP. However, I plan keep Go Launcher on my phone and follow its updates. It is certainly off to a very good start and may surpass LP one day.

Ok, this app is really strange. I did a power cycle on my Nexus One and when it booted up I had a message from the go launcher app about a present (or something like that) I clicked the ok button and I have different icons on my home screen but the rest of my screens are the normal launcher pro set up. I went into the apps to see what is running and I have. both launcher apps running (launcher pro & go launcher).
    Anyone else have this happen?

The newest release includes a Christmas theme. The popup was asking you if you wanted to use the theme. I'm not sure how to change it back though, probably in the settings.

Edited to add: The only icons that changed for me were the dock icons. You can fix the dock icons and make them normal again by going to Preferences > Dock Settings > Style Selection. I'm not sure about your application icons on the homescreens though, mine didn't change, just the dock icons.

Quote Originally Posted by geckocavemen View Post
    The newest release includes a Christmas theme. The popup was asking you if you wanted to use the theme. I'm not sure how to change it back though, probably in the settings.

Edited to add: The only icons that changed for me were the dock icons. You can fix the dock icons and make them normal again by going to Preferences > Dock Settings > Style Selection. I'm not sure about your application icons on the homescreens though, mine didn't change, just the dock icons.
    Thanks for the reply. It surprised me because I have Launcher Pro as my default launcher. This one must be set to run at startup for that to have happened. I check market comments and see several "how do I remove Christmas theme?" comments.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links