Might sell my N1 for the MyTouch 4G - Help me decide... please

This is a discussion on Might sell my N1 for the MyTouch 4G - Help me decide... please within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; First off, I need to tell you the story of why I'm even considering this. When I first bought my Nexus One in January, I ...

Thread: Might sell my N1 for the MyTouch 4G - Help me decide... please

Might sell my N1 for the MyTouch 4G - Help me decide... please

First off, I need to tell you the story of why I'm even considering this. When I first bought my Nexus One in January, I had a great 3G connection via T-mobile in my workplace downtown Kansas City, MO. At some point during the summer my 3G service (at work only) got really crappy. Now, 90% of the time I can only get EDGE. It doesn't seem like my 3G signal degraded anywhere else but work. It sucks because most of my usage is at work, thus it's very important.

I've talked to 10 different T-mobile reps and techs in the last few months. They say 3G should be just fine at my work address. I know the antennas in our phones suck, but it just doesn't make sense why the signal got weaker. My wife also has a Nexus and I now have the same problem with her phone at my work. I've brough my friends T-mobile (basic Sony Ericcson flip) and it stayed connected to 3G the whole time.

So this is what I've concluded: The Nexus One antenna may suck, but T-mobile must have done something over the summer to their towers that inadventely weakend the 3G for the N1. My guess is it has something to do with their HSPA+ 4G upgrade that happened around the same time my 3G started to suck. I've told T-mobile this, but I'm getting nowhere. I've finally conceeded to the fact that I'm just screwed. Sorry that was so long. I actually gave you the condensed version.

Okay, so now you know that I'm not unhappy with the N1 per se, but getting a good 3G signal where I use my phone the most is a top priority. Of course I want to get the best phone available to try and stay on top of the technology curve as I did when I got the Nexus. It looks like that might be the MyTouch 4G right now. What's really nice is 4G is available in my city. Assuming I won't have the same problem I had with the N1, I be really happy with the speed I get at work on their "4G" network.

The cons I can think of if I get rid of my N1:

1. No more vanilla Android and fast direct firmware updates.
    2. After I sell my N1, I'll still have to come up with around $80 to $100 to get a new MyTouch. This is based on Craigslist and Ebay prices. I'm not in a contract and don't want to start one now.
    3. I lose the free tether ablility. As far as I know, all of the Android phones sold thru T-mobile have been updated to disble tethering. I have a feeling we will always have it since it would take Google to disable it. At least I think it would require an update from Google. I don't think they can do anything about it on a network level. Not having free tethering / hot spot right now isn't a big deal, but I'll eventually get an Android tablet when they become optimized for the OS. At that time, if I have the Nexus, I'll only buy the WiFi version and just tether it to my phone. That can save some serious money in the long run not having to pay tethering fees.

Can you guys tell me what you think about my dilema? I'd especially like to hear your thoughts about my 3rd point. I might be off on how things are going to work with tethering in the future.

Thanks!

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Can't help you with the phone decision, but maybe it's not T-Mobile that's the problem at work, perhaps they installed some new equipment that is interfering with the signal?

Perhaps you can talk work into installing a wireless network employees can access, then you don't need 3G anymore. (Of course your boss is probably thinking, why does he need 3G access with his cell phone at work in the first place?)

FlyingsCool, thanks for taking the time to read my post. I thought that too. Maybe they installed something in the building; however I don't think that's the case. The reason why is because there's a bar next door I've been into and I have the same problem there.

I wish I could get WiFi in here. That would be sweet! Sadly, I'm more likely to be the next president.

Quote Originally Posted by shizane101 View Post
    FlyingsCool, thanks for taking the time to read my post. I thought that too. Maybe they installed something in the building; however I don't think that's the case. The reason why is because there's a bar next door I've been into and I have the same problem there.

I wish I could get WiFi in here. That would be sweet! Sadly, I'm more likely to be the next president.
    What is your boss really that cheap or is your job something that doesn't involve the internet much and you just like to have it.

Its really up to you but I just returned my mt4g 2 days ago. Check out the xda forums general discussion forum about the phone. I kept getting the washed out bad display, off center ffc, dead pixels. Read thoroughly on that forum before you decide.

No doubt its a very speedy device and I guarantee you'll stay on 3g or even 4g at your work but it just wasn't the same to me. Yeah cyanogen just made its way to the device aswell so that's up to you if you want to root it. Fantastic phone... when you get the right working quality phone.

Just check out reviews, read that forum like I said and than do what you will. Don't let my opinion stray you because you might just love the phone. Don't forget their is always a period where you can return the phone for all your money back aswell.

If you do get one, try to find one with a centered back camera, centered front facing camera(ffc), and a superior LCD display. Oh and most of the good ones are made in China. Taiwan has been pumping out the phones with bad displays. If you do get a bad display, HTC knows of the issue and will work around your remorse period also.

So yeah... have fun and chose wisely!
    [ROM] Cyanogen 7 Nightly's - I've accepted that I crackflash, no rehab center is open yet... -
    [Radio]Korean Radio 5.08.00.04
    I've tried Nexus S, MT4G, and G2, and I just can't find a phone that surpasses the Nexus One. Hard to believe this came out almost a year ago and it's still top of the line. :nexusx:

Do you have a computer at work? Well, if they're not going to provide wireless for you, how about setting one up yourself? Would they know if you used their internet port or an extra internet port on the PC and stuck a wireless router behind your computer? Name it using the name of the bar so people think it's coming from over there? Yeah, I know it should be pretty easy for somebody to see it on the network and ***** about it, but, sometimes IT ain't so "awake". :-) And maybe they wouldn't care anyway? (BTW, the bar could be the victim of the same interference you're experiencing at work perhaps?)

if you're going to switch I'd get the g2
    If I had to name my greatest strength, I guess it would be my humility. Greatest weakness, it's possible that I'm a little too awesome.

I'm starting to wonder if it's an htc problem. Google seems to be going away from them in favor of Samsung with the nexus so why not get a nexus S? Half of your reasons for keeping the n1 are then rectified, plus you get the phone for cheaper than the mt4g and get super AMOLED. Seems like a win win to me!

I also just read that the NEXUS S just got it's first update!

Never have any problems with my N1 antenna, sorry.... or it may be my carrier's signal that is above average. And I got the phone for free + 50$ invoice credit. No, i won't badmouth the phone (even though the 1st N1 I got was a lemon, got a replacement and so far so good)

Either way, I'm in a win-win super phone paradise.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links