Google "Superphone" to pocket computer

This is a discussion on Google "Superphone" to pocket computer within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Hi Don, I see my N1 as a computer that can make calls. It's about 95% computer to me. But it's so much more... The ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Google "Superphone" to pocket computer

Hi Don,
    I see my N1 as a computer that can make calls. It's about 95% computer to me. But it's so much more... The portablity, the sensors, the web, the first forays into augmented reality, and on and on...
    I swoon over how they are now yet know there is so much more on the horizon.
    You've heard about them being used for heart beat detection. That's an app that uses the LED and the camera together to detect your finger pulse!

There's another one that uses the compass magnet as a stud finder.

A work out monitor that uses the accelerometer
    Graphing calculators, tricorders, and who knows what else?

Coming soon? Foul food sensors? Glucose? Full health monitor? Alien life form detector? 3d scanner? projector? Just about anything you could toss into a USB plug you can drive and read!
    Nexus One :nexusx: FINALY rooted without ending up like this

Got CM7 installed too!

Hello Developer
    As I have let be known I am new to this os. I am quite excited about the Nexus One and this community that appears dedicated to it and its siblings that will come after it. I am not yet familiar with all that is has to offer but I am sure I will enjoy the adventure. The applications you mention that are and those that may/ will be possible sounds exciting. It appears that only the tip of the iceberg has been been uncovered thus far. I was able to spend an entire hour with the N1 today. I am just attempting to make my way around getting familiar. In fact I was able to spend some time on this forum as well. I learned a little on how fast the Nexus is at loading and rendering this particular community. I have lots of questions but I will be searching the forum as most have probably been asked and answered already.

I am curious about the S since it is offered through T Mobile. How bloated will it be? Will the unlocked version have the same, less, more or no bloat? Will the future be controlled by the carriers since Google had difficulty with customer service on the Nexus One. Will the Nexus One be the first and only unencumbered computer?

Thank You,
    Don

No the nexus S is actually not offered through t-mo but they are doing the same as they did with the nexus one and having a deal where when you buy the phone it's cheaper and you end up with a contract which costs you more in the long run but the phone is not officially sold through them. So it is fully unlocked and not bloatware included (luckily for us). And as for the nexus one being the only uncombed computer I think not because the nexus S is unlocked and all the future nexus phones will be too. Actually I think that all superphones will be someday just right now the carriers arenít ready to take that and if it happens now I think they will just go and stop selling sim cards and just sell phones on contract so you will have to buy a phone form them and well we don't want that so better wait before that.

The S has no memory card option. That's a deal killer for me.
    Nexus One :nexusx: FINALY rooted without ending up like this

Got CM7 installed too!

I agree we don't want the carriers to revolt to that extent. I hope you are right that all smartphones/pocket computers in the furture will be unlocked and unbloated. I do see progress in technology in this sector taking off and it should meld easily into with the tablets that are coming up hot. Power and portability maybe even calling it extreme portability due to the size of the units that are being brought forth. Again I think balance is the key, size, power, and how to keep the power on.

Yes the microSD or lack there of in the Nexus S would play a big part in my decision to purchase. Even though in reality I don't use my memory card all that much, perhaps a couple of photos. I just don't like not having that option available just in case I may need it someday. Keep that option and make it so the unit can actively use it for applications, ram, etc. It seems like such a small thing, why take it out of the featire set?

Quote Originally Posted by Technut View Post
    I agree we don't want the carriers to revolt to that extent. I hope you are right that all smartphones/pocket computers in the furture will be unlocked and unbloated. I do see progress in technology in this sector taking off and it should meld easily into with the tablets that are coming up hot. Power and portability maybe even calling it extreme portability due to the size of the units that are being brought forth. Again I think balance is the key, size, power, and how to keep the power on.

Yes the microSD or lack there of in the Nexus S would play a big part in my decision to purchase. Even though in reality I don't use my memory card all that much, perhaps a couple of photos. I just don't like not having that option available just in case I may need it someday. Keep that option and make it so the unit can actively use it for applications, ram, etc. It seems like such a small thing, why take it out of the featire set?
    Ok well carrier bloatware yes we should have that out one day but manufacturers will always have theirs like htc's sense and Samsungs tough wise but all that carrier locking crap and practically having the phone wired so the carrier can see exactly what you are doing (tethering). Ya that will be out of there.

As for the SD card yes it is a small thing but on the other hand so is NFC I think so my guess they replaced it with the NFC but I wouldn't worry that much for the future because everything keeps getting smaller like cpus if they can get the same speed and make it smaller by 0.1mm they will.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links