Google "Superphone" to pocket computer

This is a discussion on Google "Superphone" to pocket computer within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Hello Sorry but, I have not been allowed onto the new member introduction part of this forum yet? My name is Don, I am older, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Google "Superphone" to pocket computer

Google "Superphone" to pocket computer

Hello
    Sorry but, I have not been allowed onto the new member introduction part of this forum yet? My name is Don, I am older, retired but not tired, and I am truly addicted to smartphones. I am basically a Blackberry user, I have 3 on my family plan. My first experience with Android was just this last Monday Dec. 20, 2010 when I rec'd my Nexus One in the mail. At this point all I can say is "WOW" (excuse me for yelling). I am barely at the tip of the iceberg with this phone.

I remember when my first desktop computer had a magnificent 286 MHZ processor and 256k of ram. Hey I thought I was at the top of the world back then. There was no way I could take that powerhouse with me to use any where I went though. But that thought didn't even come to mind anyway. We had laptops back then big and heavy but at least portable as long as you went to the gym regularly to stay fit.

I still have my Motorola 8525 and HTC Tilt windows smartphones and my iphone 3gs, and of course my Blackberrys. I gave away my iphone 3g, Nokia 5800, and E71 to friends that were in need of assistance. I have purchased a second Nexus One which should arrive by the beginning of the year. I have been most fortunate as I have never had any major problems with any of my phones.

You are probably beginning to wonder what is the point of this. Perhaps what does all this have to do with the title. I was on one of the smartphone forums where I mostly lurk a person posted a thread wanting to know how could he turn his smartphone into more of a computer than a telephone/communications device. He used words like hacking and such in his inquiry. From the first reply (from a moerator) it was nothing but flames. They were making statements such as "wt_ its only a phone". The op really got torn up, which really surprised me. I have always considered my smartphones as pocket computers primarily communications device but information processor secondary. I lost the whereabouts of that thread (I went back tried to find it, but couldn't).

I felt sorry for that person, looking beyond his use of that nasty word "hacking".Personally I thought he was thinking outside the box, it appeared to have gone over the heads of the repondants in the thread. I also see my smartphones as more that just a phone and that really rang true when I started playing with my Nexus One. I am a former police officer so I am looking at this from a security vantage point. How to make these pocket computers more secure. Serve mankind with being a communications device as a secondary function. Information gathering, processing, and service as a primary function. Our military is even experimenting with deploying smartphones in the field. I am sure they are not being used so the troops can call home or text the girlfriend.

I see my Nexus One as that pocket computer that may change perceptions that it is not only a phone. My first desktop computer couldn't hold a candle to the processing power of this gorgeous piece of technology will fit in my pocket. I am not a programer/developer. I am not even sure yet which direction to look in making this piece of technology into something more than just a phone. I am just getting started hoping that now I am retired I can put more time in this direction (once I figure that direction).

So what about you folks here on the Nexus One Forum, what are your thoughts and / or opinions? Do you carry a phone or a computer or what percentage of both? Can you see a future in pocket sized computers?
    Thank You for your time.
    Regards,
    Don

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

First of all. Merry Xmas to you Don.

2nd. Agreed about the pocket computer thing. Even a couple months ago I did read in Engadget that some MIT guys turned N1 to a something advanced ( i forgot what is it).

3rd. If you're not rooted, then you only seen a half of this superphone

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk
    "You don't know the power of the dark side!"

Merry Christmas to you!

I guess this is what happens when you start aging, you think about the past and compare to today. With me I like thinking about tomorrow already also. The bulk size of our (my wife and I) first computer compared to the Nexus One, not even taking into account the hardware and its capabilities is astounding. (Then the Nexus One can be used as a telephone and messaging instrument to boot as a bonus.) I never really gave Android much thought (as far as wanting to own a device with that os) until a month or so ago. I started doing my research, liked the concept of what Google was trying to do with the Nexus One. They had produced a smartphone without bloat (you know what I mean) and with full intent to allow users to have access to the root of the os. Concepts that would be considered (and still is in some circles) blasphemy.

I want to appologize as I lied, I am am not really retired, yet. As of Dec. 31, 2010 I will be officially retired (no longer reporting to a job). So the purcchasing of the 2-Nexus One phones was like my last big spending spree before the reality of a fixed income sets in, lol.

Photos of the Nexus One doen't do it justice. I was very encouraged when I saw the quality of the box that held this device. I was impressed with the build (feel and size) of the case. For me the color scheme is just fine my type of colors for my smartphones. Reading as much about the Nexus, learning as much as possible about the Nexus, and trying to determine where to go with to encourage the pocket computer concept.

How about coming home taking that pocket computer out of your pocket putting it into a dock. There before you sits your desktop computer. Before docking that Nexus, there was a flat screen monitor, a keyboard, perhaps cd/dvd player/recorder, external hard drive, etc? The docking of the Nexus is what allowed these peripherals to become fuctional (of course this dock would also be charging the Nexus as it fulfilled the processing power/duties). These items connected to the Nexus via bluetooth perhaps, or another wirelss connection? Perhaps you didn't want to sit at your desk but yet you wanted to have a slightly larger viewing area, be portabile while cruising/puttering around the house. Take your Nexus and slip it into a dock for a tablet monitor. It would charge the Nexus and the profile of the tablet would remain thin, light, with a virtual and/or slider keyboard, perhaps usb ports.

Yes I am looking forward to when I root the Nexus One, to experience that other world. The examples in the above paragraph seems doable to a layman such as myself. Of course not everyone would want such things. These examples are only that, to stir the imagination, be creative, think outside the box. Then again maybe these things have already been discussed and I am way behind the curve already, no problem. There is more out there to think about.

Regards,
    Don

Well welcome aboard Don

I think I speak for allot of us on the forum when I say that for me the nexus one is pretty much a computer that makes phone calls so I think that answers your question about the phone or computer.

As for rooting your phone don't feel obligated to do it right away but ya once your rooted you have twice the possibilities you did when you were running stock.

Well for your docking nexus to make a computer I know for a fact that that will happen someday but I don't think it will be with a nexus one because well for you there may be enough processing power but for most people they like it faster when they are at home sitting at a desk so maybe like in 2012 when we should have 2GHz triple core phones then yes your idea will be very possible.

And a merry Christmas to everyone

Thanks for the reply and I agree that the Nexus One would not have enough power, even I still enjoy fast. I am hoping within 5 years we will see those multiple core (more than 2 or 3) computers that can make phones calls in great abundance. Doing things that was once relegated to desktops and much, much more. I don't know that the smartphone has even hit puberty yet, there is alot more to come, I hope.

Yea, I will have a rooted Nexus One soon. I am enjoying this thing stock at the moment. I am in no rush I plan on being around a long time.

Regards,
    Don

Well for having a lot of cores they are saying that there should be another tegra every year so that means that in five years we should be running 8 core processors anyway that is allot of processing power and by then how many GHz do you think we'll be up to like 3 or 4 so there should be some really mean phones by then.

Super Moderator AndroidIsTheTruth's Avatar
    quad core processors are closer than you think.

Nvidia Developing Quad Core Mobile Processors | Mobile Phone Blog
    Androidfied.

Quad core will be the next big step in my guesstimation. I believe that Dual Core will come out and be promptly bi-passed with the Quad Core. That with the fine tuning of transmission signals and reception enhancements; refinement of voice commands, developing better screens that will be receptive to touch and stylus usage among other things and finesses will bring us to a true hand held telephone size computer. The holdup has been power. Solving the battery issues has been a big holdup, but with some of the power schemes in the works, that may be soon solved also.

We ain't seen nothin' yet!
    :nexusx: Serious Android Fan :nexusx:

Don't see anything in a newer phone that gives me a temptation to leave my Nexus One!

Hi don, welcome to the forum!

Well to answer your thoughts on the pocket computer vs just a phone thing, here's what my nexus one did for me while I was on holiday in Dubai last month:

Didn't know much arabic, so downloaded an app which gave me good translation from english, enough to be able to chat with a taxi driver and sort out my hotel booking etc.

Used google maps to give me a good idea of where I was exploring when out and about. Wanted a burger king so googled that and then got directions.

took pictures using camera, uploaded it to facebook in minutes for my friends to see where I was and what I was doing.

When I couldn't get a network connection, I used skype on my nexus to call my family back in the uk for free.

Got ill, checked my heartbeat with an app (seriously!), confirmed it was racing, put my symptoms in to a checker on the net, says it was viral so got the doc, he gave me some anti-biotics (after his own assessment of course!).

Tuned a friends guitar with guitar tuner app!

did online check-in for the flight, saved an hour or so waiting in the queue.

All from the palm of my hand!

I can see quad core being just around the corner. Improving batteries is a must for that to be feasible, as we all know. Yes screen improvements also cause a drain on the system. There will have be a balance found with all these issues and still maintain size and weight issues that will arise. I don't imply to be any type of tech guru nor am I able to keep up on advances in all facets of technology pertaining to our handheld computers. Perhaps a senario such as using up to 2 cores of a quad core system while on battery. Then the unit is capable of using up to all 4 cores when plugged into A.C. is foreseeable in the near future.

Now floogle demonstrated a fine real world example of putting todays technology to work for him. It happened with "old" technology (in todays standards). We are always looking for the newest and greatest, nothing wrong with that. Unless you are a gamer just how much power and speed do you really need in real life situations? Its communities like ours that push the envelope on technology. Its also communities like ours that make a unit obsolete within a year maybe two. Its not a bad thing but are we really getting all we can out of our units, showing a need (not just a want) to upgrade even though it may just be a refresh? For myself the Nexus One will fit well in my life with a stock os. After I have learned how to manipulate the stock os then I always have rooting to look forward to. After rooting, learning what else can be done with the root. That quad core may be out by then?

We live in a wonderful time right now technology wise, imho. Dreams are going to come true in a lot of ways. I am fortunate to be living during this time as there are greater things coming. Right now the Nexus One can keep things real for quite some time in my life.

Thanks to all for keeping this thread alive, it is enjoyable.

Regards,
    Don

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links