[?] Rooting Questions; Effects and Consequences...

This is a discussion on [?] Rooting Questions; Effects and Consequences... within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Sorry for the wall of text and for being a total noob and thank you for all your help ! So I've been researching all ...

Thread: [?] Rooting Questions; Effects and Consequences...

[?] Rooting Questions; Effects and Consequences...

Sorry for the wall of text and for being a total noob and thank you for all your help !

So I've been researching all night (read the wiki to no avail too; so please don't simply direct me there) and I have some unanswered noob rooting questions questions and need general reassurance...

Basically I want is full and lasting root permissions on my FRG83D 2.2.1 so I can remove system apps (twitter, amazon, etc...) through terminal commands and MAYBE a unlocked boot loader to flash a custom recovery image (Amon_RA) so I can make full nandroid backups.

1) It seems to me that unlocking the bootloader is a more flexible and permanent way to achieve root, as opposed to other '1-click' type methods in the face of firmware updates (2.3...), which would just disable root and it might not be re-achievable till another exploit is found whereas with an unlocked bootloader I can flash w/e I want?

2) Is it possible to enable root and use terminal on my n1 without some "superuser.apk" program? In order to do this would I use an insecure superboot and manually deploy SU?

3) How can I make a backup before rooting if I'm not rooted? I've been using my device for 8 months so there's a lot of stuff on there...

3a) If I can't make a full backup where can I find signed stock recovery images and boot images or updates zips so I can reflash them if I need to?

4) I believe if I superboot.img and leave everything (ROM and Recovery) stock will I still be able to receive and install OTA updates...?

4a) Can someone explain the difference between himem with updated wifi driver and not? I think himem removes permanent virtual address mapping so memory can be used for running applications. Asides from having more memory what are the tangible benefits or downsides to this? Would it make the system faster?Would I be able to multitask more apps before the system quits some because of lacking resources? Would the use of this extra memory inhibit system processes because there is no longer its own personal memory map?

4b) Will installing OTA updates remove root permission? If so, would simply flashing superboot.img re-grant me those permissions? But it would seem I need an updated superboot.img for the appropriate newer build(?). Is the development of superboot images still active and timely?

5) How important are OTAs and the stock recovery image? It would seem if I'm going to do any system moding (even just removing twitter/amazon) I should have a full and function Nandroid backup and would therefor need a custom recovery image- at the sake of missing OTAs (not important mainly because applying them would disable root etc anyway?)?

6) With root permissions and stock everything do I have to worry about manual baseband and radio updates? What about with a custom recovery image?

7) Apps2SD+ doesn't work with stock roms period and I would need a compatible custom rom?

Thanks again.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Ok well sorry but I did not read all your questions but I know you said not to sending you a wiki or guide but that is sort of what I will be doing but before you just skip this and look over it I want to say that this is how I rooted and it works when you get to the end well then you use superoneclick and there is nothing easier than that all you have to do is connect your phone to your computer and then press root. Although the only thing is that if it keeps looping then you need to toggle the adb on and off. http://www.nexusoneforum.net/forum/n...lp-os-x-5.html This starts at page 5 but you don't need what is before.

What a great guide!! xD

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

1) Yup, unlocking the bootloader is slightly more flexible, but certainly not essential. Once you root, you need to use rooted ROMs to stay rooted. All custom ROMs are rooted, AFAIK. You can get pretty much any stock ROM in a rooted version also. As long as you have a custom recovery on your phone, you can flash a rooted ROM anytime you desire, but the problem comes with unrooted stock ROMs, which may restore a stock recovery (meaning you’ll need to root again). If you don’t unlock your bootloader, you’ll always have the option to do it in the future...

2) Superuser.apk is like a firewall that controls which apps have root access to your phone. I do not recommend running a rooted phone without it...

3) Follow the guide posted above (i.e root without unlocking the bootloader). You can then install a custom recovery, and back up your entire image. You can also back up your apps and data via Titanium Backup. Then start flashing ROMs, knowing you have a backup you can revert to...

3a) The wiki on xda has links to all sorts of stock images. The only issue you have is to make sure you don’t flash a non-SLCD image on an SLCD phone...

4) If you have a completely stock ROM (rooted or not), you will receive updates. You will need a stock recovery for them to install automatically, but you can also flash them manually from a custom recovery.

4a) Errrrr - sorry, not my bag...

4b) Installing an OTA update will lose root, but since most updates usually end up with a rooted version within a day or two, why bother with stock OTA updates? If you do lose root, you will have to re-root, and there seems to be less options as each update rolls out. I’ve never had much dealing with superboot images, so I couldn’t say much on that...

5) See 4b, above

6) Radio and baseband are the same thing. This is the biggest risk when flashing anything, and most people recommend only doing it via fastboot (which requires an unlocked bootloader). You can flash via recovery (I have, many times), and there are things you can do to minimize the risk, like have a well charged phone, MD5 check the file in the location you plan to flash it from (i.e don’t check it, then move it), don’t pull the battery on a radio install, etc... As far as the need to flash a radio, that’s just a preference. My 3G signal has become super stable with the latest radio, though perhaps not as fast. Others have reported the opposite...

7) Since Froyo, Apps2SD has been working on stock ROMs, however Apps2SD isn’t that good of a fix, since it just moves a part of the app to the non-partitioned FAT32 SD. Apps2ext is better, in that it moves more of the file to the EXT3 partition of your SD, and is compatible with widgets, keyboards, and some higher demand apps, because the phone reads it as internal memory. Data, Dalvik or Cache to ext is a far better solution (I use Darktremors, and have yet to fall below 100M of free space). Apps2ext and data/dalvik/cache to anywhere require root access.

Hope this helps?

So I have a non-rooted n1. I want more memory. I also like the simplicity of standard android. If I were to root my phone, and partition my SD to move more apps to external memory, would my phone need to stay rooted once this was completed? Would I be able to receive OTA updates with a rooted n1/partitioned sd or would i need to unroot, restore, and then repartition again each time?

You would need to be rooted for apps2ext to keep working.
    If you like the stock experience, you can stay with a stock rooted ROM. This would still get OTAs, but installing them would lose root.

If you install a custom recovery, the stock OTAs would not auto install, so you wouldn't lose root. Rooted versions of updates tend to be out almost as soon as the OTAs, so you could flash one of those instead, and keep root...

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links