Thinking of switching to WP7... Need objective advice

This is a discussion on Thinking of switching to WP7... Need objective advice within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Alright fellas I know this is complete blasphemy... Do not get me wrong. I LOOOOVE ANDROID. It is an amazing OS. There is no doubt ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of switching to WP7... Need objective advice

Thinking of switching to WP7... Need objective advice

Alright fellas I know this is complete blasphemy... Do not get me wrong. I LOOOOVE ANDROID. It is an amazing OS. There is no doubt about that. My Nexus One has been my workhorse and I am guilty of severe cell phone ADD.

I am bound to ATT and as many of you know... The android offerings for ATT are TERRIBLE. It doesn't look like there is any hope in sight for Android on ATT. The only android phone they have worth getting is the Captivate. Which is an amazing phone, but then again... It has even been neglected to the point where it still hasn't made the jump to Froyo.

I want objective advice about what I would and/or wouldn't lose if I switched to WP7. They are very snazzy phones. My main requirement in a cell phone is push email synchronization with gmail. So what do you all think...

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

For a windows based mobile OS it is terrible coming from prev versions (baby versions of the full OS) and going from an android to a W7P you will notice how locked out you feel (i did) in the form of everything is a front cover and you barely get any "Windows" at all.

All in all i would say its up to the user however i did not feel as if the jump was (if any) rewarding, as a second level advertisement reviewer i normally receive a lot of devices just before launch and i would say (at the minute at least) W7P's are still very second to android.

If you want to make the jump they have some very nice phones out but i wouldn't (personally) move to them from a N1.
    NEXUS ONE
    11.02.2010 - SuperBoot Rooted
    24.02.2010 - Amon Ra's Recovery
    24.02.2010 - 05.10.2010 Cyanogen Era
    06.10.2010 - 08.12.2010 - RoDrIgUeZsTyLe´s MIUIMOD Era
    04.05.2011 - CyanogenMod 7.0.3

NOTION INK ADAM
    04.04.2011 - Rooted & CW Recovery Installed
    04.04.2011 - BEAST 2.1.3 PQi + 3g Version
    02.05.2011 - BEAST 2.2

Also there is a reason that WP7 isn't even on the world’s top 3 mobile OS list and android is in second place. That reason is in part what was discussed above. Also why do you say you are bound to at&t I mean anyone can switch carrier any time then want just you may have to pay contract termination fees but since you have a N1 there is no way it is on a contract with at&t so just leave head over to t-mo or even sprint or Verizon.

Super Moderator AndroidIsTheTruth's Avatar
    As much as I hate some of ATT views, I think I wouldn't be leaving anytime some, despite the lack of Android support. There is word of a Motorola superhorse coming next year so we'll see.
    Androidfied.

I feel the same way with Vodafone in the UK, i have had tons of problems with them over the years but cant seem to shake them, that and a 5 year contract :P with no chance of a termination until a year left
    NEXUS ONE
    11.02.2010 - SuperBoot Rooted
    24.02.2010 - Amon Ra's Recovery
    24.02.2010 - 05.10.2010 Cyanogen Era
    06.10.2010 - 08.12.2010 - RoDrIgUeZsTyLe´s MIUIMOD Era
    04.05.2011 - CyanogenMod 7.0.3

NOTION INK ADAM
    04.04.2011 - Rooted & CW Recovery Installed
    04.04.2011 - BEAST 2.1.3 PQi + 3g Version
    02.05.2011 - BEAST 2.2

I am no big fan of anything MS makes except Excel, so consider that when you read my advice:

WP7 is just out and gets some good reviews, however, with MS's track record I'd be hesitant to get one until they've been around a while. You don't want to find out that WP7 is the windows 3.1 of phone OSes after you've stuck yourself with a two year contract. You don't want to end up with another Kin, either.

Wait till January for Motorola Olympus

Super Moderator AndroidIsTheTruth's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lionsson View Post
    Wait till January for Motorola Olympus

Yes that's the one.

Dual-core Motorola Olympus to be announced by AT&T at CES 2011? Unwired View

This could be very well be my next phone with AT&T. It goes again all principles though of owning an AT&T branded phone, but if they can get the rooting right with this.
    Androidfied.

Man it must be nice to be in the states and to be able to have a bunch of awesome android phones, the only worth wile android phones in Canada is the nexus one on Videotron (with Videotron anti update crapware include) or the galaxy S from bell (booooooo). So you see in Canada we really don't have much even when compared to you guys on at&t.

Well my wife has a WP7 mozart and I think for a first version its pretty good. Remember Android 1.6? I know that in a few weeks WP7 will get some big updates, copy/paste etc. and even maybe flash support. Remember it took until froyo to get flash. And by the end of this year WP8 may be on the cards. Its a great smooth system and more interesting then ios4 IMO. If it can be rooted/modded then it would be great.
    ios used to suit me until I tried Android. Android suits me but is a lot more geek oriented and less pretty but lets me do anything. WP7 suits new to smartphone people and looks slicker than Android. I am more of a geek modder type. Freedom!
    Was the only Australian N1 I have seen but my mate now owns one.
    32gb Sandisk.
    CM all the way baby.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links