More memory required

This is a discussion on More memory required within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Hi Folks, I am new to this so please bear with me. Quick question for you all, i have recently added a 16gb sd card ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: More memory required

More memory required

Hi Folks, I am new to this so please bear with me. Quick question for you all, i have recently added a 16gb sd card to my phone but i am not receiving messages or emails because my internal phone memory is always low. I think this is because of the number of apps installed. I thought with this size of card i would have ample space but it appears not. Bearing in mind i am a novice, is there an easy way to utilize my cards memory instead of my phones.
    Any help gratefully received.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

3 things you can do besides just cleaning out some of your apps that you don't use:

1) get an "app 2 SD" app (there are several in the market) and use it to figure out which apps you can move to your SD card. Using stock android, you are stuck with only moving those apps that are written to support this (there aren't many).

2) there are instructions out there for changing a setting on your phone (maybe somebody could post the link, I forget where it is). This setting tells android where to put your apps, and you can change it so it puts your apps on the SD card by default (instead of internal memory). You'll need to load the Android SDK (software development kit) on your PC, use it to change the setting, and then remove and reinstall all the apps you want to store on the SD card instead of internal memory. Apparently this will allow you to move apps that aren't designed to be stored on the SD card. I'm not sure what the side effects of this method are.

3) "Root" your phone and install Cyanogen or whatever. These versions of android will allow you to install any app on your SD card instead of in internal memory.

1 other thing I do is avoid upgrading apps if they work. As time goes on, authors just keep adding more and more (typically not that much more useful) functions which take up more and more memory. For instance, I'm currently using Google Maps v. 4.4. Not only does it not have the stupid button bar taking up screen space, but it also uses a lot less memory than the latest versions of Map. Another good example is Flixter. I'm using 2.9.8 which uses 4.6 MB of memory when moved to SD. I believe the latest version uses 8 MB.

The N1 has essentially 196 MB of internal memory for storing apps, and it gets eaten up very quickly. To me, this is the phone's Achilles heel.

It's important to understand that if you ever mount your SD card to a computer using the usb port that you shouldn't install apps that are widgets onto the SD card as they will typically fail or at the very least go unstable when you mount the SD card to the computer since the phone can no longer see the SD card in this state.

Another thing that you can do to clear up some memory is go into some apps and clear cache and data if you don't need the data on that app that much (cache well that you can delete at will I guess) although if you have allot of apps this can take a while so. Also you can set a limit on sms that are kept on the phone like I set it to 200 per contact but that is just me and if you sms are important to you then you can backup with an sms backup app.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingsCool View Post

2) there are instructions out there for changing a setting on your phone (maybe somebody could post the link, I forget where it is). This setting tells android where to put your apps, and you can change it so it puts your apps on the SD card by default (instead of internal memory). You'll need to load the Android SDK (software development kit) on your PC, use it to change the setting, and then remove and reinstall all the apps you want to store on the SD card instead of internal memory. Apparently this will allow you to move apps that aren't designed to be stored on the SD card. I'm not sure what the side effects of this method are.
    dont you have to be rooted to "unlock" this feature ?

Quote Originally Posted by iPeck View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingsCool View Post

dont you have to be rooted to "unlock" this feature ?
    I don't believe so. The way I read it, you didn't have to be, but I could very well be wrong. I haven't done it myself.

Froyo has apps2sd ability, which will help save some space, but it's limited, so don't expect major improvements.

Menu> Settings> Applications> Manage Applications> select each app, and move to SD.
    Doesn't work for widgets, and some other things like keyboards...

If you really want improvements, you'll need to root and move your dalvik, data, or cache...

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

ive installed android sdk but its all chinese to me lol

I think theres an english version somewhere... Lol

Seriously though, setting up the sdk is the hardest part of rooting. After that, it's a cake walk...

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

guess ill go at a friends PC to root with superoneclick... would be simpler lol

Quote Originally Posted by Dude Random21 View Post
    although if you have allot of apps this can take a while so.
    I use an app call CacheMate that let you clear all your cache or what is selected at one time.:D
    Ne:nexusx:uS One ROOTED
    Cyanogen Mod Nightly ROM

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links