OK. I'm Ready to Join the "Dark Side"

This is a discussion on OK. I'm Ready to Join the "Dark Side" within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Sorry, been in the mountains without a signal... Command not found means that you haven't navigated to the same directory that the adb file is ...

Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: OK. I'm Ready to Join the "Dark Side"

Sorry, been in the mountains without a signal...

Command not found means that you haven't navigated to the same directory that the adb file is in.

To make this easier, download this file and place it in the tools folder with the other files. Double click this file, then type in your adb commands etc from there...

http://db.tt/aVW40cy

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Please read your instructions, making note of what they say about the prompt changing from # to $.

I think something is wrong in this part,

"** The # prompt should change to $
    ** If you still see $, re-run the exploit (./rageagainstthecage)
    ** You may have to repeat a number of times
    ** If you see #, you now have TEMP root"

This is what I did:
    I ran the process in post #143 and thought I'd don it correctly because the prompt was #, but it had never changed to $. So when I got to the bottom and it said that the prompt should change from $ to # I figured I'd done something wrong, so I went thru the process again.

This time the prompt became # just like before at the adb shell command, and continued on until running ./rageagainstthecage. This time it rebooted my phone.

When I tested the temp root, the # became $, (it never changed back to #, as the instructions say it should) so I tried to run ./rageagainstthecage again (from $ prompt) and it said "not found"

From the $ prompt I tried to go back to adb shell, but access was denied.

I am leaving my phone connected with cmd running at this spot until you tell me to do otherwise. I don't want to write something to my phone that will brick it.

One more thing. my phone is set to debugging, but the android is not showing up in the menu bar... or whatever you call it up top.

I see what you mean.
    I'm just flashing a stock image to check and make sure I have that the correct way around.

Basically, at the first shell you should have one type of prompt, but after running the exploit it should change to the other. If it changes, then you have temp root. If it doesn't, then you need to go back a few steps, and re run the exploit (from the ./rageagainstthecage command)

The prompt changing basically means you have su (super user) access. (super user access is not to be confused with the Superuser.apk, which is basically a firewall for super user access).

If you're not showing the debugging mode, or usb connected, try rebooting your phone...

EDIT:
    Normal access is the $ prompt, and su access is the # prompt.
    If you get # then you have temp root
    If you get $ then try again, and if you get the not found, type "cd /data/local/tmp" and hit enter, and then try the exploit again...

If you wanna avoid re typing things, you can hit the up arrow key and it will show the previous command entered. Hit it again, and it will show the one before that etc. Make redoing the exploit a lot easier...

Start to finish guide on unlocking bootloader, rooting, installing recovery, installing ROM

take the bits that apply to your current position and roll with it.

First off you'll need to download a few things:

Downloads
    1. Android SDK
    2. Java Development kit if you don't already have it.
    3. Download this pack http://www.romraid.com/paul/fastboot.zip - note that fastboot is already in the most recent sdk i downloaded on 16/01/2011 but you will also need the ADB files so get this.
    4. Download superboot dependant on the version of android you are running find this info in settings 23/Nov - Superboot ERD79 -> FRG83D - rooting the Nexus One - Android @ MoDaCo
    5. Download a recovery I recomend Amon Ra from here [Recovery] [07-Jan-2011] RA-passion-v2.2.1 - xda-developers though you can get clockworkmod from the rom manager avialable via the market in free or paid app.
    6. Download your rom of choice here is a good resource for available ROMs http://www.nexusoneforum.net/forum/n...roms-list.html
    7. Read up on Adb and its commands, do the same for fastboot however i find that i rarely use fastboot apart from flashing recoveries and i often flash via terminal on the phone tbh. Google adb commands and you’ll find loads of adb tutorials and lists of useful commands including android’s own pages on it.

Unlocking the Bootloader

1. Install Java - try and install it to the root of your disk eg C:\ so that after install the path to the jdk folder looks like this C:\Java\jdk1.6.0_23
    2. Install the SDK - there are ways to get compacted less complicated installs but I tend to stick with the original and trusted method. So install this the same way as described above so that it will look something like this C:\Android\android -sdk-windows\tools
    3. Open the SDK and it will tell you of updates available etc... once that is done go to available packages and open them up. you'll see 2 checkboxes Android Repository and Third party Add-ons. check both and then select the packages you want. if in doubt select them all apart from the Galaxy tab ones unless of course it is a galaxy tab you own lol. It will ask you to agree to install just say yes to all and then you will be sorted your USB drivers should be all good.
    4. Go to My computer, system properties, and then select Advanced system settings from the left on windows 7. You should have a window that has a tab at the bottom called Environment Variables click it. There will be a box in the lower half under system variables. Scroll down until you see "Path" and highlight it. Click on edit and enter the destination of your tools folder and the destination of your jdk folder. Here's an example of what to enter ;C:\Java\jdk1.6.0_23;C:\Android\android-sdk-windows\tools Now remember that is a copy of my path please make sure you enter your install destination for both your android sdk tools folder and your java jdk folder
    5. Now go to your tools folder in the AndroidSDK. Check that there is a fastboot folder If not then create one and check that there is a fastboot-windows application file in there (fastboot-mac and fastboot-linux should be there also). If not, extract the approriate fastboot file for your OS in download no.3 above to the fastboot folder.
    6. Now go to the tools folder and check that the adb files from download 3 are present. if not copy them to the tools folder. They should be adb - application, AdbWinApi.dll and AdbWinUsbApi.dll.
    7. reboot your system - just a precaution to make sure that everything is in place and ready to go.
    8. connect your phone via usb and now see if the PC recognises your phone. Go to My computer, system properties, and then select device manager your phone should show up as nexus one or android phone. You will also see a usb connected icon in your system tray with a small green tick right click on that and it should have an option to eject nexus one. If this is the case then you are all set and ready to go.
    9. With the USB connected power off your phone then press thetrackball down and then the power button hold untill you come to a screen with 3 skateboarding androids at the bottom.
    10. Open a command prompt (start, all programs, accessories, command prompt). Now direct the command to your fastboot folder. If you took my advice and installed the SDK to the root of your HD as previously stated in instruction no. 2 then this is what you should type cd C:\Android\android-sdk-windows\tools\fastboot press enter. Now that thats done you type fastboot-windows oem unlock press enter. You will now see on your phone a screen saying unlock bootloader? with a yes or no at the bottom. Select yes - if you want but i take no responsibility for you doing this.

That is your bootloader now unlocked

Rooting

1. Download no.4 superboot. Extract this (for ease of use) to the C:/Android/Superboot - you will have to create this folder.
    2. Connect your device via usb and enter the bootloader (same process as no.9 above)
    3. Go to the the superboot folder where you extracted the files and double click on install-superboot-windows.bat

You're rooted - how about that!

Installing A custom Recovery

1. 2 options here - You can go to the market and download ROM manager which allows you to flash ClockworkMod recovery if you go this route then this is a good page guide [Complete Guide] How To Flash A Custom ROM To Your Android Phone With ROM Manager + Full Backup & Restore | Android News, Reviews, Applications, Games, Phones, Devices, Tips, Mods, Videos, Podcasts - Android Police. However easy that method is, it is definitely not as rewarding or educational as what will follow from 2 onwards. Plus i prefer Amon-RA's recovery over clockworkmod. Alternatively you can go download Amon-RA's latest from link no.5 in downloads.
    2. If you downloaded RA's then you place it somewhere your fastboot can see it (can be anywhere as long as you point the fastboot to it first) but for ease of access and to keep everything in one place i put it in the tools folder within the android sdk.
    3. With the phone connected and in the bootloader mode open a command prompt and point it to your tools folder by typing cd C:\Android\android-sdk-windows\tools press enter Now type the following: fastboot devices press enter and it should show your connected device serial. If it does then type fastboot flash recovery and here underlined the recovery name press enter. Here's how it would look based on the current recovery I have fastboot flash recovery recovery-RA-passion-v2.2.1-JF.img press enter. You will see the terminal command prompt say sent blah blah in 0.0256secs blah blah. Now a quick and easy way to check it is to take the phone and using the volume and power keys highlight the bootloader option press the power button then you will enter a new screen press vol down to recovery press power (this may hold or take a sec to respond but when it does your phone will power off and reboot it will take you to the RA recovery options screen. From here i would advise that you go into backup and restore (you can use the trackball in recovery) select nand backup and follow on screen prompts. This nand backup will allow you to recover your phone to how it is at this point should you need to in future.

Installing a ROM

1. This is the easy bit. See downloads section no.6. All you have to do is download the ROM you want eg cyanogen download the ROM the Gapps pack and put them on the root of your sd card i.e. not in a folder. Keep them in the zips do not extract them.
    2. boot into recovery. Now you can do this the long way as depicted above but if you start doing this alot, which is likely then you are best to go to the market and download quickboot. It allows you to boot into recovery very quickly from the app.
    3. Assuming you are in recovery go to wipe and then select wipe all data factory reset then follow on screen prompts until you have a message saying wipe complete
    4. Stay in recovery and using the volume down key go back to the first page of menus and then select flash zip from sdcard, choose zip from sd card.
    5. You then navigate to the cyanogen ROM and select then follow through until you get the complete notification.
    6. Now follow the same process but for the Gapps zip. once complete press vol down until you are at the first screen of the recovery.
    7. click on reboot system now
    8. The phone will boot slowly on first boot of a new rom but dont worry just leave it be and it will come. You won't be dissapointed.

Thats you ROM'd up and ready to go. Sorry for the at length post but just trying to help. If there are any errors please feel free to point them out. This is how I did it start to finish unless i missed a bit. The memory is not always accurate over time lol.
    Oh how I long for the next CM7 on N1

hardware: Ne:nexusx:us One
    Recovery: Amon Ra 2.1.1 Jesusfreke
    Rom: CyanogenMod 6.1.1 stable.

I think I may have rooted the phone on the first try. How would I know if I did?

in the command prompt type adb shell and you will then get a $ to which you type su and if you get a # on the next line you're rooted

OK. I just got up and forgot to look for supeuser and I've got it! So does this mean I'm ready to get ROM manager and do a recovery?

yeah go for it man, it will confirm you're rooted or not when it asks for superuser permissions

It says permission denied and goes back to the $ prompt... in cmd

Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links