OK. I'm Ready to Join the "Dark Side"

This is a discussion on OK. I'm Ready to Join the "Dark Side" within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Originally Posted by danger-rat Even if you plan on unlocking the bootloader, I would still do the superoneclick method first, so that you can back ...

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: OK. I'm Ready to Join the "Dark Side"

Quote Originally Posted by danger-rat View Post
    Even if you plan on unlocking the bootloader, I would still do the superoneclick method first, so that you can back up your data and settings, etc...
    +1

I would defiantly do the superoneclick first as far as experience goes it's unlocking the bootloader that is the hardest (well setting up the sdk) the actual rooting is just running a program while your phone is in bootloader so I think pretty much anybody can do that.

Great! I'm starting to lean t toward rooting my fender my touch first. I know it's much more difficult but read a lot about out over the weekend.i know I have to do more than just set up a sdk for it but out still probably se e much more improvement than the n1 and it seems like it'll give me a great experience or scare me into never trying to root again.lol!

Quote Originally Posted by dudewithaplan View Post
    it seems like it'll give me a great experience or scare me into never trying to root again.lol!
    Well hopefully it's the second one because rooting is way too much fun to be scared of it

Okay. Decided to do the easy one (Nexus 1) first.

Gonna go: OneClickRoot, and Cyanogen 6.1....unless I decide to go with Gingerbread....hell!

Backup Backup Backup

Including SD Card

Good Luck and enjoy
    Phones Owned: Nokia 6200; Nokia 6126 2ea; BB 8700g; BB 8900; MyTouch 4G; Nexus One: HTC One S; Carrier-TMobile

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

San Francisco Giants

I backed up the SD card first. Checking gmail, to make sure it's been synched. Not real concerned with that, tho, cuz I'm doing the mytouch fender first...I'm so indecisive!

Just one question. I only have one paid app. Documents to go. How do I back it up?

If you got it from the Market it will reappear when you flash new rom that includes gapps or when you flash gapps right after flashing new rom

Pre Rooted and even after, I use MyBackUp Pro from Market. Does apps, photos, Home Screens, Settings, Bookmarks, SMS, etc

Once rooted, you'll want Titanium Backup (paid version) for apps backups and many more app mgt features.

Also, Terminal Emualtor, which will allow you to flash things like radios thru the phone without using SDK. If you one-click root you won't have fastboot thru sdk to do those things.

I also like Quick Boot to boot into recovery, whichever recovery I am using--Amon_Ra or Rom Manager/Clockwork Mod. I don't use Rom Manager's UI to do those things.

As soon as you root and have a recovery, back up your current stock rom and put a copy on your sd card also, before flashing new roms.

You probably know this and have done it, but read the op page and the last 20 or so thread pages for tips and issues. You can find out what you need to fully flash the rom. Some don't include gapps or Dark Tremor (helps with moving apps to sd card).

If flashing the high memory sense and desire roms you will need to partition sd card as ext3 and 500mb or 1gb. Zero swap.

Ken
    Phones Owned: Nokia 6200; Nokia 6126 2ea; BB 8700g; BB 8900; MyTouch 4G; Nexus One: HTC One S; Carrier-TMobile

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

San Francisco Giants

Well.

I really thought I was up for this but since 2.1.1 locked the bootloader or whatever it did, I'm completely confused. I have no idea where to start with the N1. xda is nothing but thread after thread telling me to do one thing, then "no" do something else. If I can't even understand which method to use I fear I'm just too stupid for this. It all seemed so simple a few days ago, but the unlockr skips vital stuff and I get lost.

I really wish I had attempted this prior to 2.1.1

Hey dude don't worry it doesn't matter that you don't understand what they are saying on the xda forum because that is more advanced than what we are saying here so don't worry if you want I can explain it to you step by step either pm me or we can do it on this tread and I will show you how to do it. My only question first is do you want to unlock the bootloader or use the superoneclick method. Unlocking the bootloader will wipe your phone and will void your warranty superoneclick has no side effects except that you will not be able to use fastboot, which is not really that big of a deal.

I'm leaning toward superoneclick and then unlocking the bootloader at a later date. If it's easier to do this via PM I'll do that. I finally broke down and did a google search (can't seem to find the search function on here) and found a couple of threads about this on the dev forum.

I really want to root and have decided the N1 is a must place to start. Keep in mind. I'm 49 and am not the brightes tech star in the galaxy!

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links