OK. I'm Ready to Join the "Dark Side"

This is a discussion on OK. I'm Ready to Join the "Dark Side" within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; I agree with you and dude 21, the info out there is a lot and confusing. I have 12 pages of bookmarks and numerous Word ...

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: OK. I'm Ready to Join the "Dark Side"

I agree with you and dude 21, the info out there is a lot and confusing. I have 12 pages of bookmarks and numerous Word Documents on tips and info that I compiled in my quest to root and unlock 9 months ago and it kept growing. Still learning and feel like a noob often. Sounds like the one-click is best for you for now and if you can unlock later that's great. Just don't dl a Google update. They are incorporated into roms even before they hit the unrooted users. IE Gingerbread and CM7 with Micro, Cyan and Fitsnuggly.

Here is an explanation on fastboot, flash_image, and locked and unlocked bootloaders. I rarely use SDK and fastboot, now can do all I need with flash_image and Terminal Emulator thru phone. At one time you had to use fastboot and SDK to flash radios, no more. Now you can do it with flash_image and a lot more is available in zip format to flash thru recovery.

Originally Posted by efrant Unlocking your bootloader = the ability to use fastboot to flash images to your device. Nothing more to it than that.

Bootloader locked => need to find another way to flash images to your device (such as the flash_image utility). Rooted or not, it doesn't matter -- you cannot use fastboot without an unlocked bootloader.

To use flash_image, your device needs to be rooted. You can run flash_image from a terminal window on your device, or within an ADB shell. Locked or unlocked bootloader doesn't matter.

You may already be rooted with dude, so good luck.

Ken
    Phones Owned: Nokia 6200; Nokia 6126 2ea; BB 8700g; BB 8900; MyTouch 4G; Nexus One: HTC One S; Carrier-TMobile

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

San Francisco Giants

Quote Originally Posted by dudewithaplan View Post
    I'm leaning toward superoneclick and then unlocking the bootloader at a later date. If it's easier to do this via PM I'll do that. I finally broke down and did a google search (can't seem to find the search function on here) and found a couple of threads about this on the dev forum.

I really want to root and have decided the N1 is a must place to start. Keep in mind. I'm 49 and am not the brightes tech star in the galaxy!
    Although it may sound daunting, there's actually just a few simple steps...
    1 - Install the SDK on your computer.
    2 - Use the SDK to move files to your phone (giving you root access).
    3 - Install a custom recovery.
    4 - Install a custom ROM.

So, with that in mind, do you have the SDK set up on your computer, with the usb drivers installed?

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

It does sound simple, but for me the SDK set up was very frustrating and learning the exact commands for everything just as difficult. Of course, you need to know the exact commands for Terminal. So, that may be a wash. However, XDA at that time was not much help to me, and I had to do it mostly on my own. We have a lot more help here now with folks like you and dude 21, (and many others) so it may be fairly easy for dudewithaplan with all you guy's help.

Ken
    Phones Owned: Nokia 6200; Nokia 6126 2ea; BB 8700g; BB 8900; MyTouch 4G; Nexus One: HTC One S; Carrier-TMobile

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

San Francisco Giants

Agreed - setting up the SDK is the hardest part, which is why I will offer a simplified set up...

However, if dude already has the SDK up and running, we can just skip to the next step...

Well. I'm really confused. My computer requested a reboot upon loading sdk. I have my phone hooked up and on the fastboot usb highlighted in red) screen. I rebooted and now nothing. The PC is not recognizing my phone (still in same screen) and the phone is heating up. HELP! Lol

Are you running Windows on your PC?

Yes. Vista.

OK, so how fast did you get with the SDK?
    1 - Download and extract the SDK zip
    2 - Use SDK manager to download the platform tools
    3 - Use SDK Manager to download the USB drivers
    4 - Install the USB drivers

you may want to go back over exact sdk install steps with danger-rat

you need fastboot, right one, in tools folder, i think. exact path set to that folder and your environmental path set. There is more--

just saw danger rat already posted ahead of me--probably has you going in right direction

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

San Francisco Giants

The standard method for installing the sdk is overly complex, so I've made a simplified zip...

Download this, and extract it to your C drive. This has everything you need in one spot...

http://db.tt/Jbi3ZsU

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links