WiFi Hotspot - Free for N1 owners only?

This is a discussion on WiFi Hotspot - Free for N1 owners only? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; I think this has been touched on before in other posts, but I'd like to get a dedicated discussion going on it. Can anyone confirm ...

Thread: WiFi Hotspot - Free for N1 owners only?

WiFi Hotspot - Free for N1 owners only?

I think this has been touched on before in other posts, but I'd like to get a dedicated discussion going on it.

Can anyone confirm that only the Nexus One phones have the ability to create a wifi hotspot w/o paying an extra monthly fee to the carrier? I hope that since Google updates these phones directly, T-mobile will never be able to regulate this. That is important to me, because it's just a matter of time before I get a tablet, especially after seeing the Motorola Xoom. Like everyone else, I will eventually upgrade, but I can see myself hanging on to the Nexus One for awhile just so I connect it to a tablet w/o paying the extra monthly fee. If this works, I'll never have a need to buy anything other than the WiFi tablet version.

What are your thoughts on this? Also, can anyone tell me what's up with the Nexus S regarding the hotspot? I'd think since it's a true Google phone, it might be in the same boat.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I thought all T-Mobile phones (that were capable) allowed this. I may be wrong. The HTC Desire was another phone that allowed this because at one point it was unsupported by a carrier.

My thoughts: The carriers shouldn't be able to charge for a phone "feature". It's similar to those carriers who charge email and web separately. It's all data! In addition, carriers shouldn't be able to lock out phone features that are standard on the device. I'm honestly surprised they still allow Google Voice.

If I have a choice, I will never buy a phone, computer, tablet, or any other piece of crapware from a carrier ever again.

To my understanding the s can do it for free too
    If I had to name my greatest strength, I guess it would be my humility. Greatest weakness, it's possible that I'm a little too awesome.

to the original post-er, this is free, but after a certain megabyte threshold has been used up, your speed is throttled, which sucks. you receive a text saying that you went over the limit

Quote Originally Posted by deel View Post
    to the original post-er, this is free, but after a certain megabyte threshold has been used up, your speed is throttled, which sucks. you receive a text saying that you went over the limit
    Really? That's weird. How do they know you are tethering? And what is considered to be the threshold? If that's true, this must be listed somewhere in the contract.

Also, can someone else tell me whether or not the carrier supported Android phones have the feature turned on w/o paying the extra monthly fee. I thought for sure I saw an article recently saying T-mobile would/has start charging for this. I then assumed they sent out an OTA to their phones to "grey out" the feature if you're not paying for it. Am I wrong on that? I really need some clarity on this issue. Can someone please help?

Quote Originally Posted by shizane101 View Post
    Really? That's weird. How do they know you are tethering? And what is considered to be the threshold? If that's true, this must be listed somewhere in the contract.

Also, can someone else tell me whether or not the carrier supported Android phones have the feature turned on w/o paying the extra monthly fee. I thought for sure I saw an article recently saying T-mobile would/has start charging for this. I then assumed they sent out an OTA to their phones to "grey out" the feature if you're not paying for it. Am I wrong on that? I really need some clarity on this issue. Can someone please help?

they know from data usage since it uses 3g. i think it's 5 mb. dont know about the 2nd half of your post

My friend has a g2. he says it's free for him
    If I had to name my greatest strength, I guess it would be my humility. Greatest weakness, it's possible that I'm a little too awesome.

they know from data usage since it uses 3g. i think it's 5 mb. dont know about the 2nd half of your post
    That makes no sense. I The user could be a pron addict who just found a bunch of great flicks to download. Also T-Mobile has no mb restrictions on tethering/hotspot.

I read an article like this awhile back. This is what got me worried:

T-mobile to charge $14.99 tethering fee come Nov 3rd

Quote Originally Posted by dudewithaplan View Post

That makes no sense. I The user could be a pron addict who just found a bunch of great flicks to download. Also T-Mobile has no mb restrictions on tethering/hotspot.

have you ever looked at a tmobile bill? it tells you how much data you used. and i got the text message from tmobile saying that i went over the limit and that my speed would be throttled. i dont know what else to tell you.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links