Can an app on your SD card effect the Nexus One's interal storage space?

This is a discussion on Can an app on your SD card effect the Nexus One's interal storage space? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; In downloaded Rockplayer Lite last night and it's a whopping 8+MB, and if there is one huge problem with the Nexus One, it's that its ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can an app on your SD card effect the Nexus One's interal storage space?

Can an app on your SD card effect the Nexus One's interal storage space?

In downloaded Rockplayer Lite last night and it's a whopping 8+MB, and if there is one huge problem with the Nexus One, it's that its internal storage is tiny. So naturally, I moved it to my micro SD card since it has that option.

No problem right?

But suddenly my phone started complaining that internal storage had gotten low, and I checked App 2 SD, and it said 17 MB free. So I thought my phone was just spazzing out with the internal storage, which happens sometimes, especially after just installing something and moving it to the SD card, and it would fix itself.

It didn't so I restarted my phone. The low memory warning appeared, then disappeared.

But that wasn't the end of it.

Later on (perhaps after I tried to use Rockplayer Lite on something to test it) the low memory warning came back, and i checked App 2 SD, and it said, 15 MB free. That was odd, then a few hours later it said 14 MB free, and this morning it said 13 MB free.

I couldn't really figure out what was going on, but I decided that Rockplayer Lite was the most recent large app I installed in recent history, even if it was supposedly on my SD card, so I uninstalled it.

And like that my internal memory jumped to 20 MB free and the low memory warning went away.

What's going on here? If it was on my SD card, how can it be taking up so much space on my phone?

Thanks for any help you can give.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

- Putting apps on your sd will always leave some data on the phone for accessibilty purpose. (what is left on the phone depends on the app... rock player does takes a lot but its worth it)

- By rooting your phone, you can enable the sd install for almost all the apps (even those that does not have the option to move to sd, exept for system apps)

Ex. : I have 64 apps installed on mine and I still have 118 mb of free phone memory.

And I someone told me that Titanium Backup Pro for root users can delete the unwanted system apps (havn't tried it yet but I will to get rid of Amazon MP3, Goggles and News & Weather apps *edit tried it works great)

- Clearing the caches of your apps could be useful to regain some memory until you root your N1.

Cheers

Deleting system apps won't save you any space, since system and data are two separate partitions. Basically, it will give you space on the system partition, which is unusable for apps.

A better approach is to move Google apps back into system (theres an option in Titanium).

Of course, this requires root, and if you have root, you may aswell move data to sd, which is a lot more effective (as you have noted).

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

ya i know its just that i hate to see those apps in my drawer lol...

how do set data to sd ?

How to move programs (w/o SD opton) to SD Card on Root N1

Hi,

So I rooted my N1, but forgive me for my ignorance, still don't know how to move programs (which don't have the "move to SD" option) to my SD card. How do I go about doing that?

Thanks,
    Tim

install a app2sd enabler

I have57market apps,and 23 developed apps on my phone,I've used 29 MB with 167mb of free space left,if your rooted and flashing roms I suggest going with dark tremor saves alias of space

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

With gingerbread default app2sd i have 92 installed apps and still 82mb free on internal storage

*Posted from my sweet Nexus One on GB via Hit'n'Yak

Hi ,

I am using Nexus one for less than 2 weeks & new to the phone functionalily, I have used 32 gb Micro SD card,but not sure how to install applications directly to SD card instead of it eating my internal memory space.I have tried moving almost every application( where ever option is available) to SD card but still most of the application size is still on internal memomry. For E.g I downloaded Angrybird from Andriod market & it is of size approx. 8 mb ,when I moved it to SD card ,it shows only some 350 KB moved to SD ,which means remaining data is still using my internal memory.

Can some one please give me detailed info/steps to move everything to SD card & also make SD card as defualt to save any new application downloaded from web.

I appreciate your help.

Thanks

Hem

If your rooted, this app might help: Move2SD Enabler [APP][Froyo][root] Move2SD Enabler - ex SetInstallLocation - xda-developers

You have to download the APK from the forum thread to get it working under gingerbread.
    I haven't personally tried it yet. But from what people are saying in the forums it seems to work well.

I ran it on my HTC G1. I was able to move Game Dev Story (5.26 mb ) to my SD card with no issues. The game still ran great, just it wasn't stuck on the phones internal memory.

Anyone else have experience with this app?
    .:. phoneStats .:.
    .:. Nexus One
    .:. version 2.3.4
    .:. build number GRJ22
    .:. ROOT - Stock Gingerbread img
    .:. Update from Gingerbread 2.3.3 to 2.3.4 and maintain root

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links