Upgrading radio?

This is a discussion on Upgrading radio? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; I've been looking for some info on this, I found a couple of files and instructions but nothing really on what it is and why ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading radio?

Upgrading radio?

I've been looking for some info on this, I found a couple of files and instructions but nothing really on what it is and why I should or should not do it?

Can someone break it down for me or point me in the right direction?

how do I know w hat version I have?

What are the cons/pros?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

The reception of your phone depends on a combination of many different things, including your radio. Flashing a new radio will change the performance of your wireless signal, maybe for the better, maybe for the worse...

For me, the 5.12 radio gives slower data transfer, but a more stable connection, which I'm happy with, because the signal can be crappy with my carrier in my location.

If things go wrong when flashing a radio, it can brick your phone.

My suggestion is, if it ain't broke, don't fix (brick) it... xD

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

You can find your radio under Settings/Phone

But, as danger said unless you have a need to, don't do it

If you are not rooted and running a rom that recommends a certain radio, better off leaving it

I saw no performance in upgrading

Since you don't know where to find the radio info, I would assume you are still new to the phone. That alone, I would leave it be

Unrooted phones don't allow for a complete image backup and harder to recover from if something goes wrong

Ken
    Phones Owned: Nokia 6200; Nokia 6126 2ea; BB 8700g; BB 8900; MyTouch 4G; Nexus One: HTC One S; Carrier-TMobile

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

San Francisco Giants

BTW--it is labeled as Baseband Version under the phone info--not as radio--that may be why you didn't notice it

ken
    Phones Owned: Nokia 6200; Nokia 6126 2ea; BB 8700g; BB 8900; MyTouch 4G; Nexus One: HTC One S; Carrier-TMobile

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

San Francisco Giants

Fm radio & skype on nexus s !!

New to forum so please go gently with me.

I want to know if I can have a no data/streaming radio on my Nexus S and how can I go about it?

Also; is it possible to run Skype VOIP on an Nexus S and how?

If you can get me over these two little problems in very simple terms I will be the happiest person in the world - can you please help?

Grrrrrrrrr - let's eat him!

You can disable data, but I'm not sure there's a radio that doesn't support data. I would just look at your setting, our look for an app in the market...

Secondly, VOIP requires data, so you can't have both...

Sorry if I'm a but vague, but I don't know much about the Nexus S...

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Well it is getting close to lunch......
    [PHONE] Nexus 4

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[TABLET] Nexus 7

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

Can you spell H-i-g-h-j-a-c-k

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

San Francisco Giants

Thanks guys.. I am new to the phone, I've been following Android since the G1 but couldn't stand the G1.. Now I got myself the Nexus one for about another year until I am done with T-mobile, we'll see what happens after.

That being said, I am rooted and have been flashing the CM7 nightlies, they are pretty stable so far - It's my only phone so they have to be stable enough for me to trust my phone on it.. So far I am impressed with Android and the CM team.

I will take the advice of if it ain't broke don't fix it(although hard)... My main concern is my battery life which I have heard upgrading the radio could help with...

Thanks for the update jmejiaa,

If your CM7 your exp enough to flash radio. Sometimes we don't know a users exp level just from a post. Below are two links. 1st is to Cyans Stable Download page. 3rd item down is latest radio the 5.12.00.08 one.Second one is to XDA's rom, kernal, recovery, etc page.

The radio is a zip, so dl and put on root of sd card, although I just put in download folder. No wipes, just flash the zip from recovery like you did the CM7 nightlies. If you hang at X don't pull battery, that is what can brick your phone. I never had a problem. Forget how long it takes to flash maybe a couple minutes. Disable signature verification first if using Amon_Ra. Doesn't matter for Clockwork, I think. As I said, I never noticed any improvement from stock radio to latest.
    Backup (Nandroid) first

Nexus One - CyanogenMod Forum

[ROMs] - [Kernels] - [Radios] - Etc (New! W/Links) - xda-developers

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

San Francisco Giants

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links