Nexus One screen cracked - replace or repair?

This is a discussion on Nexus One screen cracked - replace or repair? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Hello forum members, In a very unfortunate event on Friday, I accidentally dropped my Nexus One (in Seidio HNX1 protective case) and it fell at ...

Thread: Nexus One screen cracked - replace or repair?

Nexus One screen cracked - replace or repair?

Hello forum members,
    In a very unfortunate event on Friday, I accidentally dropped my Nexus One (in Seidio HNX1 protective case) and it fell at an angle so that the glass cracked from top to bottom (spiderwebs). The touch screen still works, however.

Now, my question is what options are out there?! I have T-mobile as carrier and had been paying insurance on the phone ($4.79/month) since I bought my Nexus One almost a year ago.

See this link:
    T-Mobile Program Information

The deductible is $130 and supposedly they give you a replacement N1.

Or does anyone know of a company that fixes screens for the N1? Quick searches on Google yielded a few results suggesting a company in Texas but which charges a lot of money. Anything conclusive?

Another option would be to "upgrade" to Nexus S. But I really enjoyed my N1 so far and I am not sure whether it is really worth it to pay ~$200 for the Nexus S + 2 year contract extension with Tmobile.

I would appreciate any input from you guys...pros/cons. Also any current Nexus S owners who owned Nexus One previously. Thanks, guys!

Edit: As I finished typing this I received over the air system update to 2.2.2 :|

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Well I don't know but I have a nexus one and it got cracked a while back but it was the amoled underneath not the gorila glass on top but I would just search google for "cell phone repare shop" then your location that is what I did but I had to call like 5 different places to get one that repares nexus ones so don't lose hope if the first one you try doesn't work.

As for the update go ahead and take it, it is supposed to just fixes the sms issue so it's not much.

wmarcel;
    My boys just did the same thing last Thursday. Called around to a couple of local repair shops and the second one said they could do it no problem. Dropped it off Friday morning and had it back that afternoon after work.
    It ended up only costing $100.00 not too bad.
    There is hope
    Good luck

Thanks guys. I will try to find a place that fixes phones locally. I am in Miami, FL. Got a few calls out but most of them only fix iPhones around here. :S

Otherwise I shall call HTC I guess.

I dropped mine, shattered the glass, I sent it to HTC. It was $120 and that included overnight shipping both directions. They repaired it and did an awesome job. I would NOT just google up a repair shop, I would stick with HTC, IMO.
    Asus Transformer & Dock - Stock OS
    NookColor - Not Rooted - Running CM7 on mSD
    AT&T Nexus One - Not Rooted
    SquareTrade Warranty - Purchased
    Case-Mate Tough Case + Screen Protector
    Wave Secure + Lookout

Quote Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
    I dropped mine, shattered the glass, I sent it to HTC. It was $120 and that included overnight shipping both directions. They repaired it and did an awesome job. I would NOT just google up a repair shop, I would stick with HTC, IMO.
    I will end up doing that. How long did it take until you got it back?

I went to a local Best Buy today to check on the Nexus S to be curious. Turns out if I wanted to buy the phone with the 2 year T-Mobile contract extension, I would have to pay for a 2nd line since I'm not eligible for an upgrade until November.

I am definitely not paying an additional $40/month for an extra line with the 200mb data plan and I am not going to pay the full price for the phone either. Not with those specs similar to the N1. I'm sticking to it!

Thanks!

I posted about it on this forum a while back when I did it... but I think it was ...

1 Day shipping to them
    1-3 days for repair
    1 day shipping back

They even cleaned up/etc it was as good as new when I got it back.
    Asus Transformer & Dock - Stock OS
    NookColor - Not Rooted - Running CM7 on mSD
    AT&T Nexus One - Not Rooted
    SquareTrade Warranty - Purchased
    Case-Mate Tough Case + Screen Protector
    Wave Secure + Lookout

please help

Dropped mine last night and glass shattered. Screen was still working fine so I put a screen protector on to prevent cutting my finger.

I have 4 months left on my contract can I wait it out or are there better alternatives to getting it fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by chach View Post
    Dropped mine last night and glass shattered. Screen was still working fine so I put a screen protector on to prevent cutting my finger.

I have 4 months left on my contract can I wait it out or are there better alternatives to getting it fixed?

Get it fixed for $50 + $10 (Fedex box) at HTC or wait for new Galaxy Nexus. HTC does a good job repairing it. It will take 4-6 days until you get it back.
    I'm in Miami too but couldn't really find a place to get it fixed so I sent it in. Also, another option is to do it yourself. A buddy of mine did it on his HTC Desire I think. But if you don't want to run the risk of "breaking" your phone just send it in.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by wmarcel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chach View Post

Get it fixed for $50 + $10 (Fedex box) at HTC or wait for new Galaxy Nexus. HTC does a good job repairing it. It will take 4-6 days until you get it back.
    I'm in Miami too but couldn't really find a place to get it fixed so I sent it in. Also, another option is to do it yourself. A buddy of mine did it on his HTC Desire I think. But if you don't want to run the risk of "breaking" your phone just send it in.
    I found a digitizer online for 28$ I actually fixed it myself to day while I have Nooooo regrets out was a huge ordeal that took five hours!!!

3 screws ended up on my take but the phone works batterer than ever and I have rendered my love worth my nexus!!

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links