New N1 Owner. Some concerns w/ Gmail on N1?

This is a discussion on New N1 Owner. Some concerns w/ Gmail on N1? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; I recently purchased a used Nexus One from a reputable eBay seller. It is in great condition and is a fun little device. As smart ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New N1 Owner. Some concerns w/ Gmail on N1?

New N1 Owner. Some concerns w/ Gmail on N1?

I recently purchased a used Nexus One from a reputable eBay seller. It is in great condition and is a fun little device.

As smart phones have become the de-facto standard, it has worried me somewhat to be entering my personal log-in details onto ANY portable device, let-alone a used smart phone. I suppose my concern is that someone could easily add undetectable malware to a smartphone before selling it, and have some way for it to send back the captured private details from the next user.

Prior to setting up my phone with my Google account, I updated to 2.2.2 and did a 'console' hard-reset (hold down low volume button while pressing the power button).

I proceeded to setup my Google credentials and whatnot and started to enjoy my device. A few hours later I logged onto Gmail using the website, and at the bottom of the page you can view all IP activity from the past 10 sessions. I am used to seeing all entries originating from the state of OK (where I live) or via a foreign IP (my previous phone was a Nokia with their push messaging service). I was startled to find an entry from California classified as a "Mobile" device rather than "IMAP" or "Browser".

The IP that was shown was 208.54.14.33, which actually traces back to Shoreline, WA with the ISP T-Mobile.

Here is what I found when I used ip2location.com:

208.54.14.33USUNITED STATESWASHINGTONSHORELINET-MOBILE USA INC
    Half my brain wants to think that makes sense, and somehow my data connection on my Nexus One is connecting to Gmail through that gateway. But, the other half of my brain is worried sick that my logon credentials have been compromised and I'm about to become a victim of identity theft.

Has anyone else noticed this? I have already done a few preventative measures such as changing my Google account password and disabling sync on the N1 until I can figure out what's going on. I used the AVG AntiVirus app from the Android marketplace and the phone was clean, and I also have it currently running a trial of Lookout Mobile Security.

Any advice?!

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I'm pretty sure that if you did a factory reset it is clean the other thing is lookout if you are running that they I'm once again pretty sure you have nothing because that thing actualy can detect theif aware which is just about as hiden as can get. But if you are really paranoid about someone seeing what you are doing then the only other thing I can think of to get everything off would be to root and flash a custom ROM although because doing that will replace all the system files with custom ones.

Big Brother is watching you.:D

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk
    Ne:nexusx:uS One ROOTED
    Cyanogen Mod Nightly ROM

I am pretty sure that atm there is nothing available that could be installed on the Nexus one and hidden away out of the reach of a Hard reset let alone broadcast/send inserted information to another location. How can i be sure? because i am currently studying Black/White hacking and have chosen android as my project and i can say that it is near impossible to create something that will sit undetected in he background and send all inserted data to an external source. The only way you details could have been stolen is if you had used WIFI to connect and insert your details, in a two hour lab session i was able to use a program to record all traffic on a wireless network and compromising 11 peoples security (all information deleted of course)

I wouldn't worry dude you are safe but you could always ask other users around where you live to test the waters and check for distant gateways?
    NEXUS ONE
    11.02.2010 - SuperBoot Rooted
    24.02.2010 - Amon Ra's Recovery
    24.02.2010 - 05.10.2010 Cyanogen Era
    06.10.2010 - 08.12.2010 - RoDrIgUeZsTyLe´s MIUIMOD Era
    04.05.2011 - CyanogenMod 7.0.3

NOTION INK ADAM
    04.04.2011 - Rooted & CW Recovery Installed
    04.04.2011 - BEAST 2.1.3 PQi + 3g Version
    02.05.2011 - BEAST 2.2

do a factory reset of the phone
    If I had to name my greatest strength, I guess it would be my humility. Greatest weakness, it's possible that I'm a little too awesome.

Turn your phone off for an hour, and don't access your gmail. Turn your phone back on, and access gmail. Turn your phone back off, and don't access gmail for an hour....

You can then check your IP access on your gmail account, and the only access within that 2 hour period. If the only access is from WA, you can safely say you're OK, because you know it was your phone...

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Anyone else facing gmail issues on their phone?
    I've been receiving mail, but not able to send...
    Messages Stuck in outbox
    cleared outbox trice, rebooted twice...
    No luck

I dont use gmail. I setup my gmail in the email app

*Posted from my sweet rooted Nexus One

Ah people where saying that going into the app manager and force closing followed by a clear data will fix that problem but you will loose all data including the outgoing messages so make sure you have a copy
    NEXUS ONE
    11.02.2010 - SuperBoot Rooted
    24.02.2010 - Amon Ra's Recovery
    24.02.2010 - 05.10.2010 Cyanogen Era
    06.10.2010 - 08.12.2010 - RoDrIgUeZsTyLe´s MIUIMOD Era
    04.05.2011 - CyanogenMod 7.0.3

NOTION INK ADAM
    04.04.2011 - Rooted & CW Recovery Installed
    04.04.2011 - BEAST 2.1.3 PQi + 3g Version
    02.05.2011 - BEAST 2.2

Tried danger's suggestion earlier... But

Quote Originally Posted by Nobby View Post
    Ah people where saying that going into the app manager and force closing followed by a clear data will fix that problem but you will loose all data including the outgoing messages so make sure you have a copy
    This worked!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links