That "I need a new phone" itch

This is a discussion on That "I need a new phone" itch within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; So, I love gadgets...and I love getting the newest, hottest, latest thing. Before you hate.....I am not a sheep....hence I'm on a Nexus One, not ...

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: That "I need a new phone" itch

That "I need a new phone" itch

So, I love gadgets...and I love getting the newest, hottest, latest thing. Before you hate.....I am not a sheep....hence I'm on a Nexus One, not an iPhone. I"ve had my N1 for a year now.

So....getting the frequent "Low on Memory" message on my N1, I quickly figure out....well, what can I live without. It's not been horribly painful....but I sure would like to have more internal memory on my phone. So, I check out Phandroid religiously and keep looking for my next phone. So far, I have resisted buying an imported, unlocked phone, and saw something that gave me a little hope. I'm wondering what you guys are waiting for for your next phone.

1. LG Optimus 2X - Tegra sounds great, initial reviews seem pretty good...but the 512 memory is a bit of a bummer. Nice big screen. Need that, my eyes are failing as I age. Internal phone storage is good. Could be better though. Then, I see/hear complaints about LG's phones.

2. Samsung anything - Really worried about their inability to get updates out in a reasonable time. Yes, I know I can root...

3. Motorola Atrix 4G - Hmmm, Tegra, great. Internal phone storage, great. Memory, great. Motorola? Eh. Never been a big fan. See comments from people that give fair to good comments. Suppose that should be good enough, but then.....I think of the Droid, Droid 2, Droid X....the list goes on. I find their phones ugly, almost repugnant. LOL Sorry....just do. Boxy, unimaginative, look cheap, feel cheap to me. I just don't like them much. Honestly, I don't find the Atrix 4G all that sexy either. Oh, and can I use an ATT phone on T-Mobile....with 4G capability?

4. Now, as of today....I'm eagerly anticipating something new from HTC. I really like HTC. Had the G1, the MyTouch 3G, and daughter has MyTouch4G. all well to my liking at the time, at least. So.....HTC Saga? 2 weeks before announcement at World Congress or something like that. Looks great. Won't miss the trackball that much....only use it when the touch is a bit off on my N1. Looks bigger, I'm already infatuated by it....and don't even know what's under the hood.

Anyone else with an itch?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I did, so I bought a Samsung Focus running WP7. I didn't want a new android because.. well, I already have the N1... Still the best android device I believe.

I miss a few things from the android, but am starting to like WP7. And I can switch phones whenever I need... like for travelling I like my N1 for flash videos and Google Navigation.

I've definitely been suffering from the itch lately, especially with all the new tegra 2 phones like the Atrix4g and the LG. But then I step back into reality and remind myself why I got the N1 in the first place. I'm on ATT and there is no way I'll buy one of their crippled android phones that prevent the sideloading of apps (how else am I going to get Swype...and who knows what kind of awesome apps will come out in the future that can't be had from the market). Can't really switch providers either, stuck with ATT.

I guess I could always root...but Motorola seems really determined to prevent that and I'm not all that tech savvy with that type of thing anyway. My other concern is how much ATT will raise data prices for 4g. I'm in an area that won't be getting 4g for quite some time (at least 2 years) and there is no way I'm paying extra for 4g data if I can only get 3g. I figure that alone will probably eliminate the Atrix for me (aside from the whole no root thing).

Put all that together and the only real option I see for me is an unlocked phone...maybe the Nexus 3 if Google ever makes one. I suppose if HTC came out with an awesome tegra 2 powered, 3g phone that was easily rootable I would get it, but I just don't see that happening with all the "4g" hype going on.

I had that same "itch" until recently. I'm pretty much stuck on AT&T too since they are the only ones that has good coverage at my house. It was a lot better when it was just Cingular... but that's a whole different story. But recently I changed my roms and switched to this rom:

http://www.nexusoneforum.net/forum/n...bread-v16.html

Since then I've formatted my SD card and got it working with Apps2SD and haven't had any problems since! No more low disk space error and it's been running faster! Even got Gingerbread out of the deal! So I figure it'll keep me calm for the next couple months at least.

I would agree with Snickolaz. Rooting the phone breaths new life into it and is way better than waiting around for updates to get pushed OTA.

Ive been on this rom for a few days and its pretty awesome!

Check it out

[ROM] MicroMod's Gingerbread CM7 Custom ROM v1.2 (DT's-Ap2Ext,Bat%,Themed) 1/25/11 - xda-developers
    [PHONE] Nexus 4

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[TABLET] Nexus 7

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

I tried the rooting thing once with CM 6 and I just wasn't happy with the performance. It was kind of laggy for me and I don't have the time (or knowledge) to spend doing all the various customizations necessary to optimize a rom. If there was one out there that I could just install and have work from the get go I might be more inclined to try it again. Basically, I want to set it and forget it...lol.

I also have the itch to buy something. I have been reviewing all the phones mentioned in the OP. I feel that the Nexus One has spoiled me with constant updates and attention from Google. My experience into the smartphone arena with the N1 was so fun that I hesitate to just jump on board with just any cool phone that comes out. I want one of those dual core tegra 2 phones but I am not certain how they will be supported hence my hesitation.

I guess I will stick by my criteria of wants and hope that something comes out in the future. I would love to have another Google experience phone but refuse to buy the Nexus S for personal reasons. Frankly I am upset at the Nexus S as I dont believe that its a phone to upgrade to with everything else thats coming out this year. Well at least not enough to upgrade to for me. Google let me down with the Nexus S, but that being said I would consider purchasing it if my N1 was to ever break, get lost or stolen.

I guess I will have to be satisfied with my N1 and all the roms that I can flash to keep me content. Here's to those of us patiently waiting
    Rooted One Click Method 8/11/10
    Unlocked Bootloader 11/11/10
    Rom: CM7 RC1 w/ Honeybread theme

Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
    (I'll either find a way or make one)

DragonGunner

Quote Originally Posted by SliceBurgSlim View Post
    I would agree with Snickolaz. Rooting the phone breaths new life into it and is way better than waiting around for updates to get pushed OTA.

Ive been on this rom for a few days and its pretty awesome!

Check it out

[ROM] MicroMod's Gingerbread CM7 Custom ROM v1.2 (DT's-Ap2Ext,Bat%,Themed) 1/25/11 - xda-developers
    Damn I havent seen this one yet. Gonna add it to the custom rom's list. Thanks for the heads up as I missed it.
    Rooted One Click Method 8/11/10
    Unlocked Bootloader 11/11/10
    Rom: CM7 RC1 w/ Honeybread theme

Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
    (I'll either find a way or make one)

DragonGunner

I got the itch badly. And eagerly awaiting the thunderbolt. Bionic would be nice if it was dropping alot sooner. Looking to try out big red again..

Yeah, I gotta say I've been spoiled by the N1. I absolutely HATED Verizon's attempts to control everything on the phone and I like the "freedom" I feel here with very few crap apps. No new phone itch here, I'm still very happy with what I've got. I'll be waiting probably till 2012 before I upgrade, maybe not even then. The next phone better be wayyyy faster, have a ton of memory for apps (the N1's biggest failing), and have the ability for easy video phone, and easy internet phone.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links