Nexus One and car head unit

This is a discussion on Nexus One and car head unit within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Originally Posted by dudewithaplan It's what I do, bourne. My car has the Aux Jack in the center console and I use it all of ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 43

Thread: Nexus One and car head unit

  1. #11
    Senior Member bourne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    289
    Quote Originally Posted by dudewithaplan View Post
    It's what I do, bourne. My car has the Aux Jack in the center console and I use it all of the time. It sounds better than the bluetooth from my dock to my home speakers. But it's minimal because my car stereo still lacks because it's not of the overal quality of my home speakers.

    Yes I control it with my phone, but that's better anyway.

    If I'm driving and want to change music, I can either use voice command or the widgets that come with mixzing and doubletwist. Those widgets can control the music even when the screen is locked...very nice feature.

    Oh. And I think Cizzle was being funny... you know, an analogy to "size matters!"
    first off.. your name is awesome!

    When you say that it minimal, in what sense? Do you mean that if you had a better setup in your car you think it would sound better? How would you compare the audio quality to say a CD being played on the same setup?
    Sorry for prying, I am just curious because I have never really heard anything being played through the aux in a car head unit before!

    Thats awesome though that you can control it through your phone, I personally much prefer this over having to do it through the car's head unit.
    I will have to look into those apps you suggested, they sound like they would help out if I choose to go this route!

    Now I feel like an idiot over Cizzle's comment ah well haha.


    ...................
    .:. phoneStats .:.
    .:. Nexus One
    .:. version 2.3.4
    .:. build number GRJ22
    .:. ROOT - Stock Gingerbread img
    ...................
    .:. Update from Gingerbread 2.3.3 to 2.3.4 and maintain root

  2. #12
    Android Lurker dudedidtheplan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    0
    I reread his comment and I may be wrong about cizzle.

    Yes. It would sound better through the jack than through bluetooth. In addition, bluetooth drains your battery in an additional way so you'll need to know that. Bluetooth sounds good though.

    I was once an audiophile (FWIW) and am not a huge fan of mp3's. I have some flac. wav and mp3 files on my phone. Most of my mp3's are pretty big. Smallest are 192mb. The sound you get out of the N1 is average. Nothing spectacular anyway. I have a ZEN X-FI that sounds much better, but still preferr the N1 because of the convenience. But to answer your question. If you are playing flac or wav files you'll get CD quality. You will be limited by the N1, but only if you buy a really sweet after market head unit. To me, it ain't worth it in a car. I'm well beyond the age to do anything but listen to music while I'm driving so road noise and stuff like that really negate any real audiophile quality components you might get anyway.

    My guess is that, if you like the sound you got with the tape deck, then you'll love the sound using an aux jack.

    As for the apps. I highly recommend both.

    Double twist is an app that google pushed when the N1 was released. You can load it on your PC and synch any media files with it. The big plus is that you can now synch it with your PC using wifi and possibly through the cloud. Pretty nice feature. I believe you can also edit tags with it.

    Mixzing is a very nice app. If you have songs that are missing the album art, it will find it on the internet...or at least try. It has big bold album art and a nice simple interface.

    Another music app I like is gtunes. It links up with the myspace feature called "projectplaylist" and allows you to not only stream any song stored there, but download them as well. The only drawback is sometimes the sound quality, album art, and or full song isn't downloaded. But since it's free, you either edit the tags, try to get it thru Mixzing or just delete it and try another of the usually countless versions of the song. It's amazing. I was in the gas station the other day and a song was playing over the loudspeaker that I liked. I looked it up, downloaded it and was listening to it by the time I was merging onto the freeway again! All for free!

  3. #13
    Android Lurker Lionsson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    0
    If you want an app for better sound quality I recommend PowerAmp

  4. #14
    Senior Member johnny cizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    561
    not all head units have docking ability to doc an sd card
    If I had to name my greatest strength, I guess it would be my humility. Greatest weakness, it's possible that I'm a little too awesome.

  5. #15
    Senior Member bourne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    289
    Quote Originally Posted by dudewithaplan View Post
    I reread his comment and I may be wrong about cizzle.

    Yes. It would sound better through the jack than through bluetooth. In addition, bluetooth drains your battery in an additional way so you'll need to know that. Bluetooth sounds good though.

    I was once an audiophile (FWIW) and am not a huge fan of mp3's. I have some flac. wav and mp3 files on my phone. Most of my mp3's are pretty big. Smallest are 192mb. The sound you get out of the N1 is average. Nothing spectacular anyway. I have a ZEN X-FI that sounds much better, but still preferr the N1 because of the convenience. But to answer your question. If you are playing flac or wav files you'll get CD quality. You will be limited by the N1, but only if you buy a really sweet after market head unit. To me, it ain't worth it in a car. I'm well beyond the age to do anything but listen to music while I'm driving so road noise and stuff like that really negate any real audiophile quality components you might get anyway.

    My guess is that, if you like the sound you got with the tape deck, then you'll love the sound using an aux jack.

    As for the apps. I highly recommend both.

    Double twist is an app that google pushed when the N1 was released. You can load it on your PC and synch any media files with it. The big plus is that you can now synch it with your PC using wifi and possibly through the cloud. Pretty nice feature. I believe you can also edit tags with it.

    Mixzing is a very nice app. If you have songs that are missing the album art, it will find it on the internet...or at least try. It has big bold album art and a nice simple interface.

    Another music app I like is gtunes. It links up with the myspace feature called "projectplaylist" and allows you to not only stream any song stored there, but download them as well. The only drawback is sometimes the sound quality, album art, and or full song isn't downloaded. But since it's free, you either edit the tags, try to get it thru Mixzing or just delete it and try another of the usually countless versions of the song. It's amazing. I was in the gas station the other day and a song was playing over the loudspeaker that I liked. I looked it up, downloaded it and was listening to it by the time I was merging onto the freeway again! All for free!
    thanks for all the advice.
    I would say that I am not really a big stickler of how it sounds. Although I would like to avoid it sounding like crap as well. I guess I will have to try and test it out maybe at the shop before I buy it and just see what it is like. Being able to mount the SD card on the head unit would probably result in a better audio I suppose no?

    Those apps sound pretty sweet though I think I will have to check them out. Although I do not have a data plan at this time but I am sure I can still make use of them for syncing things up and what not

    thanks again for the advice!


    Quote Originally Posted by lionsson View Post
    If you want an app for better sound quality I recommend PowerAmp
    I used the trial of this a little while back but didn't really get to fully work through it. I will have to give it another go!

    thank you though for the advice!

    Quote Originally Posted by johnny cizzle View Post
    not all head units have docking ability to doc an sd card
    how do you find the sound quality on your songs when you mount the SD card? I will see if I can find a head unit that stats it can actually mount an SD card. I don't think I have ever seen that mentioned before.

    :cheer3:
    ...................
    .:. phoneStats .:.
    .:. Nexus One
    .:. version 2.3.4
    .:. build number GRJ22
    .:. ROOT - Stock Gingerbread img
    ...................
    .:. Update from Gingerbread 2.3.3 to 2.3.4 and maintain root

  6. #16
    Senior Member johnny cizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    561
    It would be the same as playing it on your phone or pc. My radio is a jvc
    If I had to name my greatest strength, I guess it would be my humility. Greatest weakness, it's possible that I'm a little too awesome.

  7. #17
    Senior Member bourne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    289
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny cizzle View Post
    It would be the same as playing it on your phone or pc. My radio is a jvc
    thanks man
    I am definitely going to track one down and give it a go in store.. (if they let me)


    :cheer3:
    ...................
    .:. phoneStats .:.
    .:. Nexus One
    .:. version 2.3.4
    .:. build number GRJ22
    .:. ROOT - Stock Gingerbread img
    ...................
    .:. Update from Gingerbread 2.3.3 to 2.3.4 and maintain root

  8. #18
    Android Lurker dudedidtheplan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    0
    It'll sound fine, bourne. If you have no data plan, then either of those apps will work fine. Again. I like double twist because of it's ability to seamlessly transfer music files when I'm connected via usb and I like Mixzing because of it's large album art and equalizer. They both have very nice lock screen widgets which are great because you can skip songs, view artist, et al without unlocking your screen!

  9. #19
    Senior Member bourne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    289
    Quote Originally Posted by dudewithaplan View Post
    It'll sound fine, bourne. If you have no data plan, then either of those apps will work fine. Again. I like double twist because of it's ability to seamlessly transfer music files when I'm connected via usb and I like Mixzing because of it's large album art and equalizer. They both have very nice lock screen widgets which are great because you can skip songs, view artist, et al without unlocking your screen!
    being able to use the widgets without unlocking the screens is definitely a huge bonus, specially when in the car when sometimes you can't always focus 100% on where your thumb is on the screen.

    i am checking these apps out tonight! thank you for the suggestion


    :cheer3:
    ...................
    .:. phoneStats .:.
    .:. Nexus One
    .:. version 2.3.4
    .:. build number GRJ22
    .:. ROOT - Stock Gingerbread img
    ...................
    .:. Update from Gingerbread 2.3.3 to 2.3.4 and maintain root

  10. #20
    Member Tapage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    95
    I have a pioneer stereeo unid and was a bit scary to connect my nexus one to it throught usb .. I already try the bluetooth option but that invalid my bluetooth phone option .. which I prefeer more ..

    I would do it and report it back here ..

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

golf nexus head unit

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.
Android Forum